Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944842 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7245 on: February 08, 2014, 09:07:11 pm »

Grappling hooks are irritating to use; I hope they implement a keybind for it rather than having to switch back and forth from it.

There are ziplines but I guess they're not so effective for use in the small scale of a home base.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: February 08, 2014, 09:27:18 pm »

Yeah the grappling hooks are infuriatingly finicky. I just want the old ivy whip back and would have been completely satisfied with that instead of the imitation worms ninja rope.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: February 08, 2014, 09:34:06 pm »

I dunno, I like being able to fling myself with the grappling hook.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7248 on: February 09, 2014, 03:58:46 am »

How do you make the zip lines, actually? That would be really useful in getting around the planet from the beam-down point, right?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: February 09, 2014, 04:01:51 am »

Skyrails require Durasteel, which is... Tier 4 I believe. I haven't stayed on one planet long enough to try them out yet.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7250 on: February 09, 2014, 08:35:16 am »

Hooray, just got up to tier 4! Easier than I expected, just ducking in a doorway and shooting.

I'm having some frustration with weapons, though. I want a one-handed weapon so I can use the shield, but all the one-handed weapons I can find only attack directly in front, like the spear. Is that just an issue with Glitch weapons? I know they won't do as much damage as 2-handed ones, but at least I need to be able to attack in an arc. I know the hammer does that, but with that I can't use a sword...

Any suggestions for a good 1-handed weapon with an arc for an attack?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: February 09, 2014, 10:08:16 am »

Unfortunately, there are none (as far as I've seen, and I've been through most of the game with friends now). All one-handed weapons swing in a teeny area in front of your character, severely limiting their attack range.

This is why a lot of people are begging for melee attacks to become fully directional (attack in any direction).

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7252 on: February 09, 2014, 10:27:33 am »

Ah, I see. I swear I remember my first character having a one-handed sword that went in an arc, but that was many versions ago.

I just found a dog on a planet, as well, and I crafted a few capture pods. Advice on how to catch it? Any way to damage it below 50% health that won't either immediately kill it or make it attack me?

Earlier I found a dog on another planet, before I could get capture pods. It was running across volcanic terrain, then jumped into a pool of magma and died instantly. It was painful to watch. Poor doggy...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: February 09, 2014, 10:36:05 am »

I have no idea if you can capture them or not, but to do so you'd have to damage them and then hit them with a pokeball. Be warned the whole system as is is basically nonexistent. You can't manually recall something you've captured into a pokeball; you have to have something else kill them and on their death they drop the pokeball to summon them again. And that's it. It's a really awkward system.

If you want to hurt it without an instant kill I suggest crafting one of the early 1-hander swords and using a shield, or a shield with a machine pistol.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: February 09, 2014, 10:41:51 am »

Hooray, just got up to tier 4! Easier than I expected, just ducking in a doorway and shooting.

I'm having some frustration with weapons, though. I want a one-handed weapon so I can use the shield, but all the one-handed weapons I can find only attack directly in front, like the spear. Is that just an issue with Glitch weapons? I know they won't do as much damage as 2-handed ones, but at least I need to be able to attack in an arc. I know the hammer does that, but with that I can't use a sword...

Any suggestions for a good 1-handed weapon with an arc for an attack?

Honestly, I very rarely go melee. Usually wind up getting a gun or two so I can pick off enemies before they close to melee range. Granted, I've got the ammo overhaul mod installed so guns are more viable, but, yanno.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7255 on: February 09, 2014, 11:07:31 am »

I've changed my strategy from sword-and-shield to double-wielding swords and holding down both mouse buttons to rapidly attack anything that gets close. I still have to maneuver a lot to stay out of the way, but so far it's working better than anything else I've done. It's like waving a blender in front of me.

Shame about the pets. I still might get a dog just to keep at my house... Although, they'll just follow you, won't they? I can't leave it at home?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: February 09, 2014, 11:11:13 am »

I dunno about pets, but I do know that spawned NPCs will generally stay put. Unless you leave a door open and there's a hostile creature outside. Lost a chef that way. >_<

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: February 09, 2014, 11:13:21 am »

Wait, Starbound has dogs? When did this happen?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: February 09, 2014, 11:27:00 am »

Last patch. You can't catch them yet, though.

For my part, I tend to stick with 2h swords, hammers, and axes for the overhead swing, and so that I can do the damages. I also remember 1h swords having a small arc rather than a straight stab, but I haven't used them for a good long while.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: February 09, 2014, 01:14:50 pm »

I bet this, in some ways, is relevant to this game.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:16:21 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 565