Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944852 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #6780 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:59 pm »

I like how they simulated the carrots-let-you-see-in-the-dark thing by setting you on fire.
Raw carrots don't do that. All cooked food does, though.
The carrots-improve-night-vision thing isn't actually true. It originated as British propaganda/counterintelligence during WWII to "explain" how they were able to intercept flights of German bombers at night so easily, in order to disguise the existence of their radar network.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:18 pm »

Oh, I knew it wasn't true(though not why, that's cool). I just figured they were playing on the idea 'cause I didn't know that all 'special' cooked food ignited the eater.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #6782 on: January 14, 2014, 03:17:19 am »

I'll just leave this here:

Upper tunnel is part of my original, mostly-aboveground skyrail route, which encircles (almost) the entire planet. Lower tunnel is part of a new (unfinished) route running underground from near the beam-down point.

I may end up replacing the mushrooms with some other sprite-art, if I find something that works with the limited color palette of the paint gun.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: January 14, 2014, 03:18:54 am »

You know, my first impression was that you somehow made a customized panel or background window.

Then I realized that was the *miniature* version of a picture thanks to that purple 'background'

Wow.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: January 14, 2014, 04:57:43 am »

Relevant news is relevant.

Also:

The update isn't far off now, we're trying to include universe backwards compatability along side character backwards compatibility
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:42 am »

.ds_store bug? That's not a bug. That's an OSX feature. It makes those files everywhere.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #6786 on: January 14, 2014, 08:57:36 am »

It causing the game to crash is presumably not a feature.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6787 on: January 14, 2014, 11:21:07 am »

I am enjoying the game but it's not exactly what I thought it would be or could be. I beat the first boss and made it to beta sector and so far, the game seems to just be: fight some aliens, find ore, craft gear, beat boss, warp to next sector.

I find no reason to build anything. Why do people do it beyond it looking cool? I got that out of my system with Terraria.
I got nothing

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: January 14, 2014, 11:26:00 am »

I am enjoying the game but it's not exactly what I thought it would be or could be. I beat the first boss and made it to beta sector and so far, the game seems to just be: fight some aliens, find ore, craft gear, beat boss, warp to next sector.

I find no reason to build anything. Why do people do it beyond it looking cool? I got that out of my system with Terraria.

My understanding is that most of the base-building features are not yet in game. At this point in alpha, Starbound is very much geared towards linear "do the quests, beat the boss, advance to next area" gameplay.

It should be more sandboxy later in development.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: January 14, 2014, 11:33:23 am »

My understanding is that most of the base-building features are not yet in game. At this point in alpha, Starbound is very much geared towards linear "do the quests, beat the boss, advance to next area" gameplay.

It should be more sandboxy later in development.

I don't think it's so much that it's not "sandboxy enough" but more that its not goal oriented in any way...its great to be able to build and do whatever...but if there is no end objective or point to doing anything it can lose its luster rather quick for some of us. I dont like to build just to build personally.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: January 14, 2014, 12:19:01 pm »

That's where the race non-random storylines and big sidequests come in (hopefully). The quest system isn't just there for a tutorial.

The game is a barely bare bones version they pushed out with lots of stuff missing. I think they felt bad because the game wasn't coming out as soon as the starving masses were demanding.

Also: "Several memory leaks, including the slow-but-significant server memory leak a lot of people were experiencing "

yessssssssssss

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: January 14, 2014, 12:23:07 pm »

I hope they introduce some features that facilitate and encourage multiplayer shennanigans.  Maybe not direct PvP, but some rivalry or team-play elements.  I could see that being a lot more fun than it was in Terraria, now that people can build their bases on separate planets and spawn their own populations and stuff.  Also would be nice if the equipment was less of a linear progression, but I'm sure they'll get around to that.  Terraria was the same way at first.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: January 14, 2014, 12:55:57 pm »

I think I'm taking a break from this.

Sooo, don't hate me, blame it on it being too sandboxy :P

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: January 14, 2014, 01:35:43 pm »

I await the patch with bated breath.

(and probably will wait a few days for people to sort out any sneaky bugs or hotfixes or other things of import)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: January 14, 2014, 02:27:34 pm »

Yeah I don't understand judging the game as a finished product when they've openly admitted many, many times that most of the game systems aren't in yet or are in extremely preliminary balance stages. Quests aren't in, at least one major biome isn't in, lots of gear progression isn't in, sector progression isn't in, the map's getting reworked, 6 whole tiers aren't in, creatures are getting reworked, tech controls are getting reworked, pets are getting expanded... There's a huge list.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 565