Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944840 times)

March

• Bay Watcher
  • undead
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #6645 on: December 31, 2013, 10:25:07 am »

Spent all night building a tower to space, get done, meteors destroy it, spend all morning tearing it down. Buy 26000 pixels worth of food items.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:32 am »

I'm thinking of picking the game up as soon as I can get money in the bank and I was wondering, does it require a particularly majestic machine to play? I mean, I can play Terraria on medium-highish settings with no problem, but this game appears to be a bit more graphically intensive.

It's still not very well optimized for lower end PCs. I can run games like Bioshock Infinite and Farcry 3 smoothly on medium settings, but I can't go to a populated area in Starbound without my framerate going down the tubes. So if you have an older computer like I do it might be worth waiting a while.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: December 31, 2013, 11:08:08 am »

I'm thinking of picking the game up as soon as I can get money in the bank and I was wondering, does it require a particularly majestic machine to play? I mean, I can play Terraria on medium-highish settings with no problem, but this game appears to be a bit more graphically intensive.

It's still not very well optimized for lower end PCs. I can run games like Bioshock Infinite and Farcry 3 smoothly on medium settings, but I can't go to a populated area in Starbound without my framerate going down the tubes. So if you have an older computer like I do it might be worth waiting a while.
I rather doubt my laptop, let alone my tablet, would be able to run either Bioshock or FC3 "smoothly". So it might be some other kind of error. Have you tried the OpenGL and the normal version of the game both? OGL runs smoother for me, for instance.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: December 31, 2013, 12:51:10 pm »

I've been hearing rumors from other friends who play Starbound about a character wipe coming soon. I've seen the big red text that's present whenever you start up the game, but it doesn't say much about when that might be happening. Any of you folks know the date?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #6649 on: December 31, 2013, 01:22:18 pm »

Presumably it'll be the next update, and the main point of it will be to prevent character/universe wipes in future. Don't think there's any official timeframe.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6650 on: December 31, 2013, 02:48:02 pm »

This may be of interest to some of the server hosts/people who play on servers a lot

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/commandstar.776/

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: December 31, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »

I've been hearing rumors from other friends who play Starbound about a character wipe coming soon. I've seen the big red text that's present whenever you start up the game, but it doesn't say much about when that might be happening. Any of you folks know the date?

"as soon as possible in 2014" via Twitter.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: December 31, 2013, 03:10:59 pm »

"as soon as possible in 2014" via Twitter.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: December 31, 2013, 03:13:34 pm »

This may be of interest to some of the server hosts/people who play on servers a lot

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/commandstar.776/
Nifty.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: December 31, 2013, 03:14:55 pm »

Finished painting my starter house just in time to discover the weather of my planet.
Biggest feckin meteors I've ever seen.
ROOM-SIZED,
PLATEAU-SHREDDING,
HOPE-DASHING,
GIGANTINE ROCKS FROM SPACE
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: December 31, 2013, 04:17:41 pm »

Well, it seems to work, so have a commandstar link that also probably doubles as a 'is server up' link: http://lyoncraft.dyndns.org:8080/
If that shows a page, the server is probably working. Chat is most recent at the bottom.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: December 31, 2013, 04:19:38 pm »

Well, it seems to work, so have a commandstar link that also probably doubles as a 'is server up' link: http://lyoncraft.dyndns.org:8080/
If that shows a page, the server is probably working. Chat is most recent at the bottom.
Ossum.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: December 31, 2013, 04:23:39 pm »

Ossum.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: December 31, 2013, 04:24:39 pm »

Fuuuun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: December 31, 2013, 04:28:20 pm »

Ossum.

Yesss.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 565