Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945324 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5955 on: December 17, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »

I need a bigger ship. Too many crafting things to fit in.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: December 17, 2013, 01:51:10 pm »

Can't wait for that NPC town thing. NPC shop based on their surrounding's worth? Dwarf Fortress Ho!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: December 17, 2013, 02:23:37 pm »

Coming back to this after Beta. The server is dead, and frankly, the game is pretty boring once you get the hang of things.

My thoughts exactly. I think that I may wait until the character wipes are finished, work to endgame one more time then leave it until the more interesting mechanics of the game get fleshed out more.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: December 17, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »

I do my best to bring you the best! This is from Tiy's twitter:

http://imgur.com/OEqyrkQ

I like it!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: December 17, 2013, 08:05:23 pm »

The concept seems awesome and I really want it, but I sure hope those aren't the final models. They feel like the same ship, but with some parts copied+pasted.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: December 17, 2013, 08:07:39 pm »

I was really hoping for an official "design your own ship" module. I know there's the mod, but...ehhhh...I don't know about it yet.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: December 17, 2013, 08:07:48 pm »

The concept seems awesome and I really want it, but I sure hope those aren't the final models. They feel like the same ship, but with some parts copied+pasted.
I'm pretty sure it's just a mockup, especially since the bottom ship has inaccessible areas.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: December 17, 2013, 08:08:39 pm »

The characters in the final ship look like they're wearing Star Trek outfits.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: December 17, 2013, 08:09:23 pm »

They probably are the same ship.
You will notice that each upgrade only adds rooms, never removes or shuffles them around. This is likely because it extends your old ship rather than giving you a new one, meaning you won't need to worry about all your furniture.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: December 17, 2013, 08:15:13 pm »

It was more of a "hope with the odds" thing, but true.

I feel that they would get better results with a modular system, perhaps. Maybe you could get a special console for your ship like the creature capture station that allows you to upgrade parts of your ship/add new parts for a hefty pixel cost?
There are really a ton of ways to do it, even with a modular system.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: December 17, 2013, 08:23:46 pm »

Yeah, it has to be the same ship with rooms added to keep furniture and storage from being overridden. If you really want a custom ship with more room, go for one of the custom ship mods (and there are more than just the self-build ones).

The way the ships work, there's basically a pixelmap "cutout" that tells the game where you can place stuff on the special world file that holds your ship. Buildable areas can't be changed on the fly without losing access to stuff in-game or simply deleting things. The official stuff has to work additively. A modular system would require them to guess how many different permutations a player could possibly want to use and make a separate pixelmap for each possible combination of upgrades on a pretty good sized buildable area and shuffle those buildmaps on the fly... Or they could do what they're doing and make the work doable with a reasonable amount of development effort.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: December 17, 2013, 08:26:33 pm »

The devs actually had it ingame at one point, pre-beta, but they hated how blocks mismatched the ship. Its probably on the backburner for now. They mentioned trying out placeable ship blocks that match.

It should still be in an old blog post if you want to check it out yourself, my memory is a bit vague.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: December 17, 2013, 08:31:21 pm »

By 'upgrade', I meant doing things like maybe making the 3d printer cheaper, better fuel efficiency, a teleporter with different locations, etc. As for the new parts, I'm mainly thinking of a system where there are a certain amount of 'slots' on the ship and you can choose a slot (maybe with sizes, like Small, Medium, Large), and choose a ship part to put on that slot. It could be hard to do, but it'd definitely be possible.

Also, I notice that the human ships are vaguely similar to the Hammerhead class ships from Star Wars.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: December 17, 2013, 11:13:59 pm »

GENTLEMEN!
http://imgur.com/r/starbound/WinWG4P
Prepare your planets for immense dwarven computing!  With logic gates comes power over the lesser beings!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: December 17, 2013, 11:19:40 pm »

GENTLEMEN!
http://imgur.com/r/starbound/WinWG4P
Prepare your planets for immense dwarven computing!  With logic gates comes power over the lesser beings!
Good lord dwarfputer all over again? Or wait.. pokepuker pokeputer.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 565