Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945198 times)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5925 on: December 16, 2013, 11:35:41 am »

From reddit:
Starbound Devs make surprise visit on tehMorag's stream, talk Starbound for 3 hours

I did not watch the stream, so there may be other crunchy informations there.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: December 16, 2013, 12:10:54 pm »

Woah. How do, a destructible/rebuildable ship?
I'm curious too.
This mod, right here.
<3

Also sorry to ask another repeatedly asked question, but does anyone know the typical response to a modded-to-fuck player joining a Vanilla server?

... I should make an FAQ.
Here's the one I use. It's not dependent on the original ship structure, and I can confirm that it works for existing characters (move your stuff to a planet before installing it, though!). OTOH, the author just gives you a bunch of spares of the ship equipment, rather than crafting recipes.

Flying Dice's treeship crashed me the first time, but worked fine the second. Not sure what's going on there.
I've crashed dozens of times beaming up to unmodded ships. I don't think it has anything to do with the mods, I think it has to do with the netcode :P
This. It's to do with the netcode, same as the other buggy parts of MP. I've crashed in my treeship a couple times, but also in vanilla ships, and the ship has never crashed/lagged for me in SP. :|

From reddit:
Starbound Devs make surprise visit on tehMorag's stream, talk Starbound for 3 hours

Now I'm drooling. :3

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: December 16, 2013, 12:15:52 pm »

From reddit:

Why would you do this to me?! I already suffer from Patchitis with most games (as in, hmm, I want to play X game, but this new feature is cool and coming out in a patch so I'll just wait. *patch is release* oh yay, that feature is in game X, but oh look, a post on the next patch, oo that's a cool new feature, maybe I'll just wait...). Now how am I going to play starbound with all this stuff sitting in the back of my brain!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: December 16, 2013, 12:31:41 pm »

What they say they will do and when they will do them are two completely different things.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: December 16, 2013, 01:58:56 pm »

Yeah I expect lots of those changes aren't in the immediate future. As in, all the big ones will likely be post-release. There's a ton of work yet to be done just in fleshing out the 10 tiers and weapon/armor/creature balance. I'm expecting the actual release to get pushed back a great deal more, maybe mid next year at this rate.

No big deal, I'm having plenty of fun off and on in the beta already, so things only look up from here.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: December 16, 2013, 03:13:53 pm »

villagers aggro when you steal. more aggressively follow you.

nooooo

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:11 pm »

I was poking around the Starbound forums and found this quote, posted just yesterday, by Tiy:

Quote from:  Tiy
The tier system is entirely placeholder for beta, the final system is not remotely close to it

Are... are we even really playing Starbound right now? I'm having a minor identity crisis here. Why are they working on balancing a temporary system? I'm so confused.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: December 16, 2013, 03:31:06 pm »

The tier system is supposed to be a storyline mode, with the player proceeding with the story until it's completed, at which point he's in sandbox. I.e. like every open-world CRPG ever, GTA to X3 to Torchlight.

So you won't have "tiers", you'll likely have something more akin to "acts" in Diablo. The work on balancing it now helps tune the difficulty curve for the storyline.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: December 16, 2013, 04:33:54 pm »

The tier system is supposed to be a storyline mode, with the player proceeding with the story until it's completed, at which point he's in sandbox. I.e. like every open-world CRPG ever, GTA to X3 to Torchlight.

So you won't have "tiers", you'll likely have something more akin to "acts" in Diablo. The work on balancing it now helps tune the difficulty curve for the storyline.
This. The tiers will still exist in the sense that there will be gear progression, but it won't be anything as simple as "make boss item, kill boss, gain access to next-tier items". I seem to also recall them talking about much a much finer difficulty gradient, so you could have T2 worlds that are effectively level 1.17, 1.62, 1.99, etc.

Basically what I've taken away is that there will be progression through an actual plot, and that the difficulty will be less spiky.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: December 16, 2013, 05:58:07 pm »

I think I found the solution to the FTL bug. Problem is, the fix appears to be restarting the server :I
That only treats the symptom, not the actual problem itself.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #5935 on: December 16, 2013, 06:14:01 pm »

Woo, I killed the UFO. Now to go harvest forest planets for coal.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: December 16, 2013, 06:17:09 pm »

I built a staircase up into space above a jungle planet, and found asteroids rich in... coal.

Now, I'm no astrophysicist, but I somehow doubt that coal is something you're supposed to be finding inside asteroids at all, let alone giant clusters of the stuff.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: December 16, 2013, 06:21:56 pm »

Do not question the biomasses you have found in space, for they are benevolent leaders.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: December 16, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »

I think I found the solution to the FTL bug. Problem is, the fix appears to be restarting the server :I
That only treats the symptom, not the actual problem itself.
Suppressing symptoms is better than leaving it unchecked, though.
Well, that's true.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: December 16, 2013, 07:26:00 pm »

What am I supposed to do with this jelly? I can't find the thing I need to make.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 565