Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944843 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5190 on: December 11, 2013, 10:40:20 am »

That leads to another thing. I get damaged by falling carcasses. I did not think that used to be a thing.
I've been pretty consistently getting hit by dead stuff since day one. Honestly makes combat a bit of a pain in the arse, since everything and its little sibling gets a free, incredibly hard to predict, death charge in. Attrition, attrition, everywhere. Unless I wall it in, anyway. I've been doing that a lot this latest update :-\

Mostly hoping eventual optimization clears that and the seeming-desync (hitting monsters that are meters away from the swing, getting hit by stuff that's on the wrong part of the screen, etc.) up, bleh.
I'm pretty sure that at least some of that is simul-hitting. When I'm using an axe/2H/hammer and I time my swings right, I basically never take damage because I knock out the mobs at the maximum extension of my weapon.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: December 11, 2013, 10:44:53 am »

I'm pretty sure that at least some of that is simul-hitting. When I'm using an axe/2H/hammer and I time my swings right, I basically never take damage because I knock out the mobs at the maximum extension of my weapon.

At least once, I'm pretty sure the creature in question fell nearly all the way to the ground from about one screen height before hitting me. I could be misremembering, however.

Time to Science! ... In about seven hours...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: December 11, 2013, 10:50:52 am »

Some, probably, but again -- I hit and get hit by stuff that's nowhere near anything they should be hitting or getting hit by. As in, I'll take damage from a charging critter 4-5 character lengths to the left. Before it touches me. Similarly, it's very common that I'll swing at empty air and nail something. It's also common for me eat a projectile attack in the face and have nothing happen, or one to swoosh by me and somehow land a hit anyway. And sometimes it even works as one would expect! S'random as the blazes.

I'm mostly guessing it's hardware related, but I've spent most of my playing so far under what acts like a highly specific form of lag. Since monsters are basically the only thing that displays such behavior. Mining, talking, inspecting, etc., are all very responsive, but combat is basically a crap shoot. S'no telling where the game thinks a monster actually is better'n half the time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: December 11, 2013, 10:59:14 am »

I have noticed that arrows tend to pass through critters, especially at close range.

Speaking of arrows, does anyone know why they nerfed the iron bow so heavily? It went from one-shotting most monsters on a level 1 planet to taking several fully-charged arrows. I'd hate to see how bad the regular bow must be...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: December 11, 2013, 11:03:33 am »

Or launch server from launcher, forward port 21025, and wait in the shadows.

They will come.
I did this, but when I try to join my own server, it tells me I have the wrong password. What gives?
Open up starbound.config and/or default_configuration.config and change the server password. Remove the defaults.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: December 11, 2013, 11:16:05 am »

Or launch server from launcher, forward port 21025, and wait in the shadows.

They will come.
I did this, but when I try to join my own server, it tells me I have the wrong password. What gives?
Open up starbound.config and/or default_configuration.config and change the server password. Remove the defaults.
I had already done that, but I got it working. I forgot to put my IT pants on and needed to let Starbound through my firewall.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: December 11, 2013, 11:18:45 am »

I have noticed that arrows tend to pass through critters, especially at close range.

Speaking of arrows, does anyone know why they nerfed the iron bow so heavily? It went from one-shotting most monsters on a level 1 planet to taking several fully-charged arrows. I'd hate to see how bad the regular bow must be...
With the regular hunting bow its easier to just smite things with the hunting knife broadsword's right click unless they're clearly out of range.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: December 11, 2013, 11:32:37 am »

Smiting things with the hunting doomsword knife with it's right click only yields pixles from what I see.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: December 11, 2013, 11:36:53 am »

I wonder if it would be possible to mod in a "skinning knife", which functions like the hunting knife but is weighted towards dropping leather instead of meat.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: December 11, 2013, 11:38:20 am »

I was just thinking. with all this procedurally generated stuff. What are the odds I will find a gun that shoots knives?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: December 11, 2013, 12:10:37 pm »

So, for the first time I have enough resources to craft the distress beacon. Will !!FUN!! happen the instant I craft it, or would I have to place and activate it first?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: December 11, 2013, 12:10:50 pm »

so, I gave in and  bought this.

is there a permanent bay12 universe to join?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: December 11, 2013, 12:20:17 pm »

So, for the first time I have enough resources to craft the distress beacon. Will !!FUN!! happen the instant I craft it, or would I have to place and activate it first?
Only after activation.

Has anyone else noticed that the majority of merchants have nothing in their inventories?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: December 11, 2013, 12:25:25 pm »

Alright, cool. I figured I might as well craft it now even if I'm woefully underprepared :P
To answer your question, all I've found so far are a couple of clothing merchants. They both had inventories, so.

Are ores and stuff common on snow worlds? In my starting system, there's a snow world with two snow moons. I figured I'd try going there once my snow gear set is complete, but I don't want to arrive and find out that there's no fuel leave with.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: December 11, 2013, 12:27:39 pm »

I don't want to arrive and find out that there's no fuel leave with.

Any reason you can't bring some fuel with you? In the previous version, traveling to another planet in your system only cost 50 or so.

In any case, I would be surprised if there was nothing there.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 565