Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944728 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5130 on: December 11, 2013, 01:07:36 am »

I found a tremendous amount of diamonds on my starting world, too, as well as platinum.  Seems that the ore rarity revamp definitely changed the distribution, there. 

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: December 11, 2013, 01:47:22 am »

Yeah I'm curious how much of the ore thing will stick. I just raided a moon in Beta sector and got ludicrous amounts of ores, including platinum and diamonds which I didn't think even existed last patch.

Upside, I think the combat feels much better and was able to kill the UFO boss without too much trouble with just a bow and random 2H axe I found, so it's MUCH better now.

Downside... my perception of the planets all being threat 1 makes me less inclined to futz around  in multiple systems to explore, when they all appear samey. I have noticed the easy/normal/hard distinction in enemy difficulty, but there's no way to determine from orbit what I'll get when I land. I hope there's a bit more granularity per tier coming at some point.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: December 11, 2013, 01:57:26 am »

Is anyone able to get on Forsaken's server?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: December 11, 2013, 01:57:37 am »

The similar threat level thing combined with no wood fuel is starting to grow on me. I found a star with a lot of planets and moons, set up a home there, and have been very happy within my little system. The fuel cost is a lot smaller as I don't feel the need to go too far away, feeling that if there is anything out there for me to find, I stand a good chance of finding it with the planets I have. I have actually set up a home and feel good about it, while still being able to visit a nearby moon to go mining.

I feel like the game is going in the right direction. Still a lot of things to iron out, such as the scanner, but getting there.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: December 11, 2013, 02:13:12 am »

Is anyone able to get on Forsaken's server?

Negative, Firebird. It booted me not long ago, and has been making angry noises in its room since.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: December 11, 2013, 02:16:42 am »

Now we just need to have world-specific creature components required for some complex research tree, as well as rare materials found on specific TYPES of planets so you could predict where to look but still not just go and take it.

Research is something that is missing and I hope is going to be a part of the game. Or at least discovery requiring various rare components and trial-and-error.
Generated blueprints for advanced stuff which require rare components yet are transparent enough to understand.

I even think that randomized recipes is not a bad idea, so you would not know what cool stuff else you can find in those hundreds of worlds. Maybe even techs with random effects like weapons can have rare random effects now.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:18:26 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: December 11, 2013, 02:23:50 am »

Oh god yes please...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: December 11, 2013, 02:25:25 am »

In theory, you could make your own server. Forsaken's server isn't necessarily the only bay12 server. Spread the load and all that. And share the IP to the thread. Plus the stories.

(I'll belt a 24/7 server up in a few weeks. Aussie-good-cable with shit-loads of weak-oceania-latency. Yay!)
It's a game. Have fun.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: December 11, 2013, 02:29:40 am »

I figured out how to set up a personal server, too. My internet isn't so hot, though, so it couldn't be 24/7.

Also, ran into my first major wtf. Penguins?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: December 11, 2013, 02:32:50 am »

Something I plan for my modpack (not sure if it's possible, but even if it's not, we could make a suggestion and back it up).

Make different alien species drop different meat.
It's all cooked in "cooked alien meat" for eating, however there could be a different purpose!
As another option, make a different drop for the same reason and leave the meat alone.

Then there would be a DNA Extractor furniture where you need to gather 10 or some arbitrary amount of meat/blood of the same type. Then you would get different polymers from that which you could use to upgrade all tiers of armors.

Example of polymers you could get from "creature research":
- hardening, increases armor value
- galvanic, increases energy generation
- thermal, reduces fire damage
- adsorbing, reduces poison damage, maybe even negates it if it's full set (for good life in poisoned worlds)
- insulative, increases warmth
- many other options.

Now if it was a rare drop and only from specific type of a random creature, you would have a reason to travel around the universe to search for worlds with said creatures.

Similar idea could be applied to polymers for weapons, be it the same polymers or totally different.

Just an idea, there's a whole field we could brainstorm.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:34:55 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: December 11, 2013, 02:33:37 am »

I was going to prop one up privately for a group of friends, but I doubt anyone would object to B12ers dropping by for trade and shenanigans, as long as said shenanigans are good-natured and honest.

Does anyone have the faintest as to when premium servers will be available? I'm not the most tech savvy, and would rather avoid the path of careful manual maintenance.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: December 11, 2013, 02:36:30 am »

Pardon the double-post, but might as well make use of it.

Something I plan for my modpack (not sure if it's possible, but even if it's not, we could make a suggestion and back it up).

Make different alien species drop different meat.
It's all cooked in "cooked alien meat" for eating, however there could be a different purpose!
As another option, make a different drop for the same reason and leave the meat alone.

Then there would be a DNA Extractor furniture where you need to gather 10 or some arbitrary amount of meat/blood of the same type. Then you would get different polymers from that which you could use to upgrade all tier of armors.

Example of polymers you could get from "creature research":
- hardening, increases armor value
- galvanic, increases energy generation
- thermal, reduces fire damage
- adsorbing, reduces poison damage, maybe even negates it if it's full set (for good life in poisoned worlds)
- insulative, increases warmth
- many other options.

Now if it was a rare drop and only from specific type of a random creature, you would have a reason to travel around the universe to search for worlds with said creatures.

Similar idea could be applied to polymers for weapons, be it the same polymers or totally different.

Just an idea, there's a whole field we could brainstorm.

Do you think it would be possible to create armor that augmented a weapon's special attack? For example, if my weapon does 5 fire damage, could there be designed an armor or armor improvement that adds an additional amount (perhaps percentage) of fire damage?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: December 11, 2013, 02:38:33 am »

I was going to prop one up privately for a group of friends, but I doubt anyone would object to B12ers dropping by for trade and shenanigans, as long as said shenanigans are good-natured and honest.

Does anyone have the faintest as to when premium servers will be available? I'm not the most tech savvy, and would rather avoid the path of careful manual maintenance.
Careful manual maintenance like what? If you're worried about constantly changing the IP address, use noip.com.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: December 11, 2013, 02:40:33 am »

What this game really needs is Star Wars Galaxies style crafting.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: December 11, 2013, 02:43:50 am »

Careful manual maintenance like what? If you're worried about constantly changing the IP address, use noip.com.

That's just the thing- I don't know what to expect.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 565