Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944753 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5070 on: December 10, 2013, 07:49:14 pm »

Nothing I'd reckon. If it needs a password, then I hope Forsaken set it to "dwarf".

Or something. Damn, I was wrong about my internet-forum-problem-solving abilities. Oh well. I'm still hanging to play the game, let alone be worried by a newly patched in textbox.

Edit: actually, I'll be more specific. It's a time-honoured tradition for any public servers hosted by bay12 members to have the server set to public (but sometimes it's a private server to discourage trolls). Username: bay12    Password: dwarf
Try those if it needs details. Otherwise, you'll have to *snigger* PM Forsaken1111 (thus defeating the purpose of these two posts. You evil genius, you)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:06:28 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5071 on: December 10, 2013, 07:55:50 pm »

Server updated and coming up now.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: December 10, 2013, 08:02:20 pm »

Do you want to try the dump-planet idea, or just the free-roaming-with-B12'ers-but-don't-be-an-arsehole idea? Any ground rules? A friend of mine has the game, so I'm probably going to borrow his PC for a few hours and have a dabble at the game.
It's a game. Have fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: December 10, 2013, 08:11:29 pm »

Do you want to try the dump-planet idea, or just the free-roaming-with-B12'ers-but-don't-be-an-arsehole idea? Any ground rules? A friend of mine has the game, so I'm probably going to borrow his PC for a few hours and have a dabble at the game.
There's too many updates to do anything permanent, and too many players to really have excess resources, so it doesn't work quite well.  Devoting singular ships to being mobile crafting and storage for multiple people seems to work well, particularly for people using the 'custom ship' mod that allows infinitely sized ships.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: December 10, 2013, 08:16:36 pm »

There's too many updates to do anything permanent, and too many players to really have excess resources, so it doesn't work quite well.  Devoting singular ships to being mobile crafting and storage for multiple people seems to work well, particularly for people using the 'custom ship' mod that allows infinitely sized ships.

Well they're not infinite, merely 167 x 82 blocks.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: December 10, 2013, 08:28:07 pm »

Holy hell, 41 new replies while I was mulling over this? Christ I need to write faster. Or think about it less or something.

The reason you have to scrounge for fuel, food, and shelter not to freeze to death fall under their intent for the game to incorporate survival elements, instead of just skipping through dozens of planets at a glance. And calling any task in the game a grind is, frankly, a little silly. I've found everything I ever need just in basic exploration I do myself. Yes, you have to keep an eye open for fuel. However, I contest that it isn't a "grind" as some label it. But simply a method to encourage players to actually explore and spend time on planets. They clearly intend you to stay on a world for a while and experience it and what it has to offer and become invested in it. Then, when you do move on to a new planet, have it be an event to somewhat look forward to. Not just a mad dash through a half dozen in an hour. However, for visiting already visited systems, the cost should be minimal. 10 fuel say. Maybe 5 for inter-system travel, one for moons.

Besides, it's intended for there to be a LOT more to do on planets. The game is very bare bones right now. Hell, storyline quests aren't in yet, not to mention random tasks. I'm convinced half the reason they released this as a beta at all is because people just would not shut up about it. I'm certain as its fleshed out a lot of the features that seem onerous will fade significantly.

Now I'm hardly saying the game is perfect, and things shouldn't be tweaked or changed. I'm merely pointing out that the developers have intentions, and that the game as it is may not be showing them off to best effect. Just something to keep in mind.

Of course, people are also going to mod the game however they want, and that's perfectly fine. As I understand it the game is so easily moddable that its hardly an issue,

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: December 10, 2013, 08:45:49 pm »

Besides, it's intended for there to be a LOT more to do on planets. The game is very bare bones right now. Hell, storyline quests aren't in yet, not to mention random tasks. I'm convinced half the reason they released this as a beta at all is because people just would not shut up about it. I'm certain as its fleshed out a lot of the features that seem onerous will fade significantly.
This is the core point I agree on you with. I'm not one for shoving people aside for wanting to play the game differently than myself, though. Goodness knows I'm an old dungeon-delving loothound at heart.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: December 10, 2013, 09:10:51 pm »

Did anyone else get booted from Forsaken's server?
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5078 on: December 10, 2013, 09:15:49 pm »

Beta server is a bit flakey. It drops people at random it seems and I get a lot of warning/error messages constantly.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: December 10, 2013, 09:18:34 pm »

You can recapture now? Seems like a good time to start playing with the system.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: December 10, 2013, 09:21:58 pm »

Beta server is a bit flakey. It drops people at random it seems and I get a lot of warning/error messages constantly.
Warning is normal. What error messages is it giving?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: December 10, 2013, 09:24:53 pm »

Something about not being verified or something like that or that what I assume it is that the thing I get most of the time if I crash on a server.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: December 10, 2013, 09:25:23 pm »

And now it's gone down completely

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5083 on: December 10, 2013, 09:25:43 pm »

something something universe exception. It scrolls by very quickly.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: December 10, 2013, 09:27:23 pm »

something something universe exception. It scrolls by very quickly.
When I was running a server that was happening to me and people were randomly disconnecting.

Restarting the server seemed to fix it.
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 565