Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945251 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5025 on: December 10, 2013, 05:28:06 pm »

I just thought of the perfect title for this version of Starbound: Angry Birds Edition.
I counter with Damn Birds.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: December 10, 2013, 05:28:16 pm »

Forsaken, I'd like the server details please.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: December 10, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »

I'd like to join the server too, if possible.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: December 10, 2013, 05:46:36 pm »

Because if you didn't need fuel you could just spam planets and light dash across the surface until you got all the loot for everything and spend no real time anywhere. Mining? Fuck mining, there's iron, diamond, gold, paltinum, silver, and copper in the multitude of chests! Fuck farming or hunting, there's plenty of food and seeds in chests!

You'd never have to do anything other than dash across the surface of planets. That's why they took out wood as fuel too, because add a stone axe to that equation and you could basically do just that in previous versions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: December 10, 2013, 05:56:22 pm »

Because if you didn't need fuel you could just spam planets and light dash across the surface until you got all the loot for everything and spend no real time anywhere. Mining? Fuck mining, there's iron, diamond, gold, paltinum, silver, and copper in the multitude of chests! Fuck farming or hunting, there's plenty of food and seeds in chests!

You'd never have to do anything other than dash across the surface of planets. That's why they took out wood as fuel too, because add a stone axe to that equation and you could basically do just that in previous versions.
So is the problem that it is too easy too get around, or that it is too easy to get good loot from the surface of a planet and skip that exploration thing..? In a game  about exploration...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: December 10, 2013, 06:00:35 pm »

They should just add a cheat button in the corner and if you press it you get everything and nothing costs anything anymore. Server admin can disable it for multiplayer (and if you can bring stuff in with your character, the admin can choose to force incoming players to arrive with just a starter kit).

That way, anyone who just wants to toodle around in the game is totally able to do that. Anyone who wants to play a difficult game can do that instead.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5031 on: December 10, 2013, 06:03:17 pm »

To me, this sounds like: "if they take out the pointless grind, then there's nothing to do except skip to the end of the game, after which there's no point in playing."

But it's a sandbox game. That's how they market it, anyway. Which means... there is no end of the game. Replace "you" with "I" in that quote and... It sounds like you don't like sandbox games. If you need grind in order for there to be a point in playing, then maybe it's the wrong game for you?

Am I the only one who feels that way? Personally, I'd enjoy the game a LOT more if there was less grind and more freedom. I dig/mine, I go from planet to planet, because I like exploring. I build bases because I like building bases. I don't care about being the biggest and the strongest. It's a sandbox. I'm enjoying the ride. I don't need the game to force me to slow down. My own pace is just fine. Which means that when the game forces me to slow down, it makes me go *too* slow, which gets frustrating.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: December 10, 2013, 06:06:40 pm »

You are not in the minority Sappho.

Suffice to say, if there weren't mods to fix this the outcry would be a lot more pronounced. Now it's like "meh, I can just fix it".

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: December 10, 2013, 06:09:28 pm »

I agree with Sappho- I play this so I can do what I want, not so I can be shoehorned into doing something I DON'T want to do. I like exploring, which is why I was irritated at the removal of wood as fuel. I also like, on occasion, building bases, and I like to feel that I earned the ability to make it, rather than having infinite resources.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: December 10, 2013, 06:24:00 pm »

Update is soon (as in tonight), no wipe. Weapons might stay broken if they were already, unless I'm reading the irc wrong.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: December 10, 2013, 06:24:30 pm »

You like... exploring. By which you mean you like what specifically, running around the surface without ever touching the ground with your pickaxe? Not fighting anything?

I also like exploring in this game. I rarely build anything permanent. And yet after every planetary excursion I need to empty my inventory not only of various decorations and loot, but of several hundred copper, iron, coal, silver, and gold ore (I'm still on tier 1 right now) that I quite inevitably accrue in my exploits, without ever looking for it specifically.

I like this change, honestly. I am no longer chopping down every tree in sight just to power my ship, and can just admire the scenery as I run past it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: December 10, 2013, 06:31:13 pm »

I didn't do it eithe, simply because some trees are really pretty. (Geometric trees, I'm looking at you. Y u no give geometric materials? Apparently the geometric chest is Rubium, so I have 2 rubium chests before fighting the ufo. :P ))
That said, think about how common coal is. Each coal makes 2 fuel, right? To go between planets in the same system, you need 50 fuel, i.e 25 coal. I've seen plenty of coal veins with more than that.

Would still be nice to not need it for torches though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: December 10, 2013, 06:33:22 pm »

You like... exploring. By which you mean you like what specifically, running around the surface without ever touching the ground with your pickaxe? Not fighting anything?

I also like exploring in this game. I rarely build anything permanent. And yet after every planetary excursion I need to empty my inventory not only of various decorations and loot, but of several hundred copper, iron, coal, silver, and gold ore (I'm still on tier 1 right now) that I quite inevitably accrue in my exploits, without ever looking for it specifically.

I like this change, honestly. I am no longer chopping down every tree in sight just to power my ship, and can just admire the scenery as I run past it.
Why do you assume it's extremes one way or another?  Why do you say it like there's only two options: Massive deforestation, or blind dash?  If people are going to rush, then game mechanics to prevent rushing are just going to be frustrating to them, while being frustrating to everyone else as well.  Some (many?) players like to explore.  Literally explore, wander the surface observing the terrain, the dungeons, the caves...  You shouldn't punish someone who wants to see other planets by making it so difficult to travel between planets.

The rule for updates and changes and nerfs should be as follows, "Never make legitimate play styles more difficult or less rewarding arbitrarily."  An example is The WarZ.  People called on sniper rifles to be removed because some people were cheating and shooting through walls.  The response?  There are legitimate people who use sniper rifles as intended, we cannot remove them because some people are cheating.

People are moving their ship around the galaxy too much?  First: Are they?  What is "too much" and what is "too fast" to explore a planet?  Do we have a timer, do you have a chart with cooldown times as to when we should finish?  Second: Do you fix this by forcing players to stay on planets?  Wouldn't it be so much better if planets were more interesting and players willingly stayed there?  The problem isn't the ease of traveling to different planets, the problem is how much loot is available from surface chests.  If there were a rational progression of better items being deeper, or guarded by more NPC dungeon guards, then planet travel wouldn't matter - you still have to earn your loot.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: December 10, 2013, 06:36:10 pm »

An example is The WarZ.
Should that really be used as a positive example of anything? I get your point, but my first association of any concept with WarZ is not a positive one.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: December 10, 2013, 06:38:44 pm »

An example is The WarZ.
Should that really be used as a positive example of anything? I get your point, but my first association of any concept with WarZ is not a positive one.
THAT is what you take away from all this?  Focus, man.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 565