Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945201 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5010 on: December 10, 2013, 04:42:04 pm »

So, is anyone else getting craftable weapons that do an absolutely ludicrous amount of damage? Most steel weapons do 2000+ damage per hit.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: December 10, 2013, 04:42:40 pm »

Apparently searching for the letters "co" in the crafting interface causes a crash. Time to head over to bug reports.

e: Well then. When I tried to duplicate it (after crashing three times) it didn't show up.

So, is anyone else getting craftable weapons that do an absolutely ludicrous amount of damage? Most steel weapons do 2000+ damage per hit.
Yes, they muffed the patch. A fix is coming soon.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:49:15 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5012 on: December 10, 2013, 04:45:26 pm »

I prefer the fact that we can no longer use wood as fuel, it means we spend more time on each planet instead of deforesting jungle planets and flying around the galaxy. I might finally get round to building a base on one.

Could I also get the server details for your starbound server, Forsaken?
Alternatively it means if you're on an MP server you spend about 4 hours trying to get enough coal to get to a new system, because the players before you took everything visible.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: December 10, 2013, 04:49:42 pm »

So it turns out the Apex have a lone Hylotl adventurer to blame for ruining their rebellion.

Leading the minikong to your secret base so you could have peace talks seemed like a good idea at the time.

Alternatively it means if you're on an MP server you spend about 4 hours trying to get enough coal to get to a new system, because the players before you took everything visible.

What, and they didn't deforest the entire planet before?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:52:02 pm by Kaitol »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: December 10, 2013, 04:56:30 pm »

I'd also be up for a medium-RP server. Nothing like two games of 2d spessmen RPs, and there's certainly potential here.
Time to mod-in assistant clothing and toolboxes.
'How the hell did the assistant get onto the bridge!?'
I'm about 60% certain that Florans have a grey body color. Their attitudes tend to resemble assistants pretty closely, too.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: December 10, 2013, 04:57:44 pm »

I prefer the fact that we can no longer use wood as fuel, it means we spend more time on each planet instead of deforesting jungle planets and flying around the galaxy. I might finally get round to building a base on one.

Did they seriously remove that?

I really have to wonder why they're so intent on making the game so much grindier for no reason.

At least I can mod away all these idiotic decisions.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: December 10, 2013, 04:57:57 pm »

I'd also be up for a medium-RP server. Nothing like two games of 2d spessmen RPs, and there's certainly potential here.
Time to mod-in assistant clothing and toolboxes.
'How the hell did the assistant get onto the bridge!?'
Maintenance tunnels, duh.  It's like the only place they can go.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: December 10, 2013, 05:06:32 pm »

I really have to wonder why they're so intent on making the game so much grindier for no reason.

Suit yourself, I personally consider being able to stock up on all the fuel you need by deforesting a planet in 15 minutes of play an idiotic design decision.

Seriously, you can get around 2000 wood in a single round trip with a stone axe, for 4000 fuel under the old system, or roughly 13 inter-system jumps. Might as well remove fuel entirely, and no that's not a good idea either.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: December 10, 2013, 05:07:30 pm »

I think that part of the larger scheme of things is "survival" in addition to free-roam sandbox elements. Having only coal as a means of fueling your ship in the beginning means having to make the most of each planet- even flying from place to place and harvesting all of the surface ore isn't all that efficient, especially if they intend to decrease ore scarcity again later.

If things go on this way, Starbound will be a slow-burning game that requires a large amount of achievement before you can stuff anti-matter from a level 90 planet into your fuel slot and cruise between your various Fortresses of Solitude.

I'd rather this be the default, since creating a balanced challenge is harder than softening it, and let players edit their inventories or mod things down to size as they see fit.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: December 10, 2013, 05:16:50 pm »

This is why you pick a good, diverse system, find a planet with complimentary neighbors (forest with arid/desert moons) and build yourself a little settlement to explore the system from.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: December 10, 2013, 05:17:12 pm »

Might as well remove fuel entirely, and no that's not a good idea either.
Perhaps you could explain to my why?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: December 10, 2013, 05:18:01 pm »

So, I just started the game (a friend recommended it to me). I'm not too far yet, I have a copper armor and that's pretty much all. I'm trying to build the beacon, but I haven't found a single silver ore yet. I've also met several guys that had assault rifles and snipers ( :'() though even if I killed him, I didn't loot it (sure it was a crappy assault rifle that did 4-5 damage per hit, but that would still have been nice).
Does anyone have tips to move on, or should I continue mining until I find silver (and more iron) for the beacon ?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: December 10, 2013, 05:21:43 pm »

Hey all! I have watched a few streams briefly, and I have to ask - what is the purpose in this game? I know that, like Terraria and Minecraft, this is an open-ended game. Still, as much as I want to play due to liking the way it plays, I just can't due to not having a purpose to pursue. Any thoughts? Why do you play?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: December 10, 2013, 05:22:51 pm »

Perhaps if they added a fuel that everyone liked to use. A premium fuel. For example, let's say you can jump from one system to the next, but with a maximum distance based on the fuel you use. Also your ship's engines have a cool down, also depending on the fuel used.

Good fuel = longer jumps and less required time spent on the planet.

Let's say you gather cheap fuel, you have access to a small cluster or maybe a long chain of systems. You go from one planet to the next, stopping to cool your engines. Might as well explore while you're here, right? Pick up some more fuel maybe. Oh hey, some of the Good Fuel! If we get enough of this, we can jump out of this little group of nearby systems and reach a different set of systems!

Or you could sit around in your ship and just wait for it to cool down I guess.

What if the natives or some monster attacks your ship? Need to defend it long enough to escape, or just slay the impertinent attackers and tread them underfoot.

This leaves you able to use wood for fuel, but you generally don't want to use wood unless (1) you don't have access to better fuel and you REALLY NEED to move out, or (2) you plan to make a short hop and stay a long time when you arrive.

Either way, there should be storage issues. Clear-cutting 4000 wood objects should result in a pile so large you can't carry it on your ship ... again, better fuel would have more energy content so you need less of it to make jumps, meaning less cargo space taken up on the ship.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: December 10, 2013, 05:24:19 pm »

I just thought of the perfect title for this version of Starbound: Angry Birds Edition.
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 565