Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945107 times)

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4995 on: December 10, 2013, 02:49:31 pm »

it seems to be down for me too, but I was stuck in warp when I quit so...

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: December 10, 2013, 02:50:17 pm »

Yes. Must been you =) jk

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: December 10, 2013, 03:02:02 pm »

Wait... is weather on a per-planet basis? It seems this current planet only has two types of weather: rain and... well...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That would be cold. You're freezing.

And weather is somewhat random.

Also, rain falls anywhere the game thinks there is no ceiling, i.e. in particularly deep dungeons. I think that's a bug.

I'm not sure if that's a bug. Particularly large but still enclosed open spaces can develop their own weather systems. One notable example are the hangars built for the particularly large airships around the 1920s and 30s. These can develop clouds and can even rain inside. I forget where, but I'm sure I've read of similar things happening inside certain cave systems. You can easily have the proper conditions, large spaces, moisture and potential for temperature differences. Now, the question as to whether this should be happening at the same time as rain on the surface, that is a possible issue, but for abstraction purposes, I have no problem with the way it is now.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: December 10, 2013, 03:04:22 pm »

As I recall, you could get by playing Ultima Online with a 56k modem but it was always laggy. UO displayed something like 30x30 tiles in the client, and each tile could have multiple objects on it, but only non-static objects like player houses, players, monsters and animals, and lootable items would be sent from server to client. Which is why it got terribly laggy when near a bunch of player houses. Pretty much, the land and sea terrain and the permanent buildings / dungeons / etc. were client-side for display but the server would validate whether you could be in that place using the server's copy of the map and statics files.

Anyway, you could easily have 15 non-static objects onscreen as soon as someone walked by, because the game displayed their armor and clothes and weapons on the player model. This screenshot has around 55 objects that would need to be sent to the client and I would expect little lag. But it's also a very sparse area and many houses would have several hundred items visible per house, and with three times as many houses as in that screenshot. Also you could come upon several dozen people at the bank, each representing 15 items, and also moving and talking, commanding their swarms of chickens to attack each other. There's your lag. Also the game's pace was fairly slow - you couldn't scream across the countryside like with a Terraria grappling hook.

However, it sounds like each Starbound tile would need to be sent to the client - unless it's one of those deals where the client builds the world from a seed and applies modifications afterward. Even so, it sounds like you load more of the world at once than in UO. I could definitely see it being unplayable on a 56k.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: December 10, 2013, 03:09:41 pm »

To wait for the patch, or not to wait. That is the question.

EDIT: Also, where's the best place to follow for news updates?
twitter or reddit if you don't like twitter.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: December 10, 2013, 03:25:54 pm »

Wait... is weather on a per-planet basis? It seems this current planet only has two types of weather: rain and... well...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That would be cold. You're freezing.

And weather is somewhat random.

Also, rain falls anywhere the game thinks there is no ceiling, i.e. in particularly deep dungeons. I think that's a bug.

I'm not sure if that's a bug. Particularly large but still enclosed open spaces can develop their own weather systems. One notable example are the hangars built for the particularly large airships around the 1920s and 30s. These can develop clouds and can even rain inside. I forget where, but I'm sure I've read of similar things happening inside certain cave systems. You can easily have the proper conditions, large spaces, moisture and potential for temperature differences. Now, the question as to whether this should be happening at the same time as rain on the surface, that is a possible issue, but for abstraction purposes, I have no problem with the way it is now.
No, I mean it rains, say, through the vertical shaft leading up to the previous level of the Floran Dungeon, for instance. When the game offloads the parts of the map the player doesn't see to save resources, it forgets that rain shouldn't be able to fall all the way down to where the player is because there's already two screenheights of rock above where it thinks there's open sky.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: December 10, 2013, 03:48:00 pm »

I'd also be up for a medium-RP server. Nothing like two games of 2d spessmen RPs, and there's certainly potential here.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: December 10, 2013, 03:49:14 pm »

I'd also be up for a medium-RP server. Nothing like two games of 2d spessmen RPs, and there's certainly potential here.
Time to mod-in assistant clothing and toolboxes.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: December 10, 2013, 03:50:33 pm »

Yeah, I liked that too :D.

I guess the next will be Predator armor.
I will post all armors here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/deons-armor-shop.45341/
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: December 10, 2013, 03:51:47 pm »

Time to mod-in assistant clothing and toolboxes.
I think Novakids may take some offense if we start to to experiment with plasma.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:53:21 pm by Leonon »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: December 10, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »

but...no clowns yet... D:

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: December 10, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »

Quick, Deon! Clown armor!
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: December 10, 2013, 03:59:50 pm »

HOOONK
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: December 10, 2013, 04:26:45 pm »

Woo! New update! I'mma try out the new things!

Wait a minute.

Aww...

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: December 10, 2013, 04:31:00 pm »

I prefer the fact that we can no longer use wood as fuel, it means we spend more time on each planet instead of deforesting jungle planets and flying around the galaxy. I might finally get round to building a base on one.

Could I also get the server details for your starbound server, Forsaken?
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 565