Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945308 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4815 on: December 09, 2013, 10:55:25 pm »

It's working on my toaster of a laptop but combat is a no go. Anyone know how I can simply cheat my self the boss drops?
Did you try giving admin rights to the program?  Heading to your steam folders and finding the windows version (assuming you're running windows), right click, properties, comparability, make admin rights.  You need to do it for starbound.exe and launcher.exe

It's running alot smoother now! I should do this to all my steam games.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: December 09, 2013, 10:57:26 pm »

e: Watching Omni's stream, and he's working on directional weapon attacks. <3
Man, I hope he gets that sort of thing working. I got thrown off when a spear I found didn't act like Terraria's spears and instead just stabbed straight forward :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4817 on: December 09, 2013, 10:58:00 pm »

Finals in a few days... No starbound for me :/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:37 pm »

Finals in a few days... No starbound for me :/
Good then! Focus on that :D

Anyways, there's that reset patch. Don't forget your priorities silly.

I just read a typo over on the official forums and now I can't get it out of my head...

Novakin, Novakin....
Skyriii..
:I

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: December 09, 2013, 11:02:26 pm »

Man, I hope he gets that sort of thing working. I got thrown off when a spear I found didn't act like Terraria's spears and instead just stabbed straight forward :/
That is a bit of a shame... The weapons in this game felt a lot more natural to me than in Terraria. There was a lot of timing when you were above enemies and waiting for them to jump at you and trying to get it right, as opposed to just stabbing down...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4820 on: December 09, 2013, 11:04:24 pm »

Asking again, but no-one here knows the difference between abc notated songs that work and ones that crash the game, right? :c Someone help!

Maybe I need to submit a bug report since there is no fix?

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: December 09, 2013, 11:07:44 pm »

That is a bit of a shame... The weapons in this game felt a lot more natural to me than in Terraria. There was a lot of timing when you were above enemies and waiting for them to jump at you and trying to get it right, as opposed to just stabbing down...

Hopefully what they do is give you limited arcs, imo. So you can stab slightly up or slightly down at an angle, but not off in any random direction.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: December 09, 2013, 11:10:24 pm »

Hopefully what they do is give you limited arcs, imo. So you can stab slightly up or slightly down at an angle, but not off in any random direction.
Yea, I guess some degree of variance wouldn't ruin it too much, but 360 terraria style attacking with the spear is just silly. They already have the best stats, no need to make them do everything better than all other weapons.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:14 pm »

This is exactly what it was. It was really cool, actually, sort of a stance system. The type of attack you got depended on where your cursor was positioned; you could have short & fast jabs, longer stabs, broad swings, etc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:51 pm »

Same sentiments. I have become quite partial to hammers, which deal a bit more damage than broadswords, at the cost of range. It's gotten to the point where combat is am imtricate dance between myself and the jumping or charging enemies, as I wait for the exact moment to step in and take them down in a single stroke. ♪
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:28 pm »

Same sentiments. I have become quite partial to hammers, which deal a bit more damage than broadswords, at the cost of range. It's gotten to the point where combat is a dance between the jumping or charging enemies, and I wait for the exact moment to step in and take them down in a single stroke. ♪
Yea, often the limited attack range meant to needed to re-position yourself to compensate, and that ended in a lot of jumping and dodging and actually feeling badass when you hit a guy out of the sky.
Terraria was never that satisfying, because a lot of it was just spamming your attack...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: December 09, 2013, 11:32:43 pm »

I'm still a big fan of shieldblock-and-shiv, but more variety would certainly be welcome once I don't have to have a shield to extend the "one-shot window."
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: December 09, 2013, 11:36:05 pm »

Did you guys not read what I literally just posted? From what I could tell, Omni was coding the animations for the different attack stances. Given that they're doing that, it seems pretty likely that they won't be copy->pasted for all weapon types. The spear and hunting knife that I saw had drastically different animations, though the spear was... not ready, to put it mildly. Stabbing toward the user's face, stuff like that.  :P

From what I saw on the stream, it looks like the different weapon types are going to get different sets of attacks, which are triggered by the positioning of the cursor. So it's not just the same animation over and over like either Terraria or Starbound 'til whenever this is plugged, and it's not the same attacks for every weapon.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4828 on: December 09, 2013, 11:37:41 pm »

Asking again, but no-one here knows the difference between abc notated songs that work and ones that crash the game, right? :c Someone help!

Maybe I need to submit a bug report since there is no fix?

There's some kind of abc file descrubber on the mods chunk of the Starbound forum. It'll tell you which ones go kablooey and maybe fix them, didn't read too hard.

Looks like Starbound has a very incomplete implementation of ABC. It has a two or three octave range, can't handle tuplets well, ignores tempo, and starting with [] crashes it etc.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: December 09, 2013, 11:38:55 pm »

Well it will depend on the implementation and just how much flexibility you get per weapon... I wonder how 2h swords will fare in this new system. Their biggest pro was being able to hit anywhere, so what else are you going to do for them?
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 565