Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945108 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4725 on: December 09, 2013, 02:35:04 pm »

The Avians were uplifted themselves by a mysterious, advanced race "who took pity on them" for being technologically underdeveloped, according to Starbounder Wiki. Conceivably the same one that built the Glitch, but who knows? It'll be interesting to see how that end is developed.

Wait.

Wait.

WAIT.

... plus a statue of a rabbit person I didn't screenshot, but... yeah. There's apparently lagomorph statues in this game and for whatever reason Avians use them to decorate their ancient tombs.

Calling it right now. The ultimate progenitors were rabbits.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: December 09, 2013, 02:36:54 pm »

There are also frog statues. I could plop a few down on a moon and take a picture, if anybody cares.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: December 09, 2013, 02:37:33 pm »

- Floran technology has mostly been reverse-engineered, such as discovering FTL space travel through an Avian spacecraft which crash-landed on their planet.

- When investigating the player's ship chair, the player notes that it "Sssmells of Apex butt." Given the fact that the ship itself looks like an Apex ship overgrown by plant life, it's highly possible that it was stolen from an Apex.
From the wiki

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: December 09, 2013, 02:38:17 pm »

But that's because there's an actual Frog Race that you can meet and talk to. I haven't met any rabbits yet, but since I'm supposed to kill Kluex, if I see any rabbits I'll make sure to murder them just in case they might be him.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: December 09, 2013, 02:39:13 pm »

Kluex = Low-ranking frog/rabbit tech guy with a cheesy goatee teaching cave birds how to use a can opener..?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4730 on: December 09, 2013, 02:41:14 pm »

I'm not allowed to play today because I didn't do any writing. But all this talk of frog and rabbit people is really making me wish I had been good and done my writing. Maybe I should do it now... Though by the time I finish, it'll be too late to play. : (

The lesson: write as soon as I get home from work so I still have time for space exploration and megaproject building!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: December 09, 2013, 02:44:56 pm »

Kluex = Low-ranking frog/rabbit tech guy with a cheesy goatee teaching cave birds how to use a can opener..?

Actually he told them they should cut off their wings at birth, and then jump from tall towers in his honour. The frogfolk don't seem like the "fake god" type from those I've met in-game.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: December 09, 2013, 02:45:55 pm »

Found something interesting while browsing their main forums: http://pastebin.com/diff.php?i=f6YqE0GY
Not sure if it was posted by a troll or if it's an actual thing.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: December 09, 2013, 03:02:08 pm »

According to lore, the Avians accidentally crashed a ship into the Floran homeland, the Florans then adapted the technology and aquire space tech.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: December 09, 2013, 03:11:55 pm »

So, while cruising the sector known as internet, I discovered an interesting bit of information, but haven't tested it yet myself...

If you go down to the lava and place a bunch of cobblestone over it, you'll periodically have the cobblestone turn into ore. I'm willing to bet it works with other, softer blocks (snow, ash, etc). My guess is they generate the ores, then overwrite them with lava. Overwriting the lava reveals the old ore.
 Also, lava is an infinite source. A single block of it will fill up an area to its own level if you let it flow.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: December 09, 2013, 03:14:34 pm »

Yes, but it's incredibly inefficient. And it's not that the ores are generated out of thin air. Rather the ores were always there and you merely replaced the lava blocks with whatever you placed. If you notice, all ores are overlayed on regular blocks.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: December 09, 2013, 03:16:26 pm »

Personally, I love grabbing healing items and then going for a swim in the lava sea. There's lots of chests that deep, and it's easy enough to just swim left or right and grab four or five them if you're careful.

Whenever entering a new sector, I immediately go to the highest level planet possible and dig straight down so I can do this, nets me some sweet equipment. ^_^

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4738 on: December 09, 2013, 03:19:14 pm »

Any way to actually transport liquids yet?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: December 09, 2013, 03:19:50 pm »

So, while cruising the sector known as internet, I discovered an interesting bit of information, but haven't tested it yet myself...

If you go down to the lava and place a bunch of cobblestone over it, you'll periodically have the cobblestone turn into ore. I'm willing to bet it works with other, softer blocks (snow, ash, etc). My guess is they generate the ores, then overwrite them with lava. Overwriting the lava reveals the old ore.
 Also, lava is an infinite source. A single block of it will fill up an area to its own level if you let it flow.

It's true. If you go down to a planet's core and fill it in with dirt, some of the dirt will have ore you can mine out.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 565