Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945306 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4695 on: December 09, 2013, 06:52:18 am »

So I've browsed through the assets directory a bit more and realised...with enough effort we(as in maybe me) could make it similar to dwarf fortress. villagers will already go around tilling ground and choping down trees, it might take a bit but having the npcs spawned through a spawner being able to fully do tasks such as farming could be the first step...but then again that might be something the devs already had planned.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: December 09, 2013, 07:01:10 am »

So I've browsed through the assets directory a bit more and realised...with enough effort we(as in maybe me) could make it similar to dwarf fortress. villagers will already go around tilling ground and choping down trees, it might take a bit but having the npcs spawned through a spawner being able to fully do tasks such as farming could be the first step...but then again that might be something the devs already had planned.
Well it won't hurt to try.
Maybe you might even discover ideas the devs haven't even thought of.
Perhaps you could give them some ideas, by releasing that mod on their forums. Should you decided to make it.

Speaking of modding, we could perhaps have the need of a separate modding thread for Starbound?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4697 on: December 09, 2013, 07:27:04 am »

I dunno, a thread for just talking about mods for the game wouldn't work, but having a separate thread for discussing the technical aspects of actually creating mods, so people who want to talk about the game go here, and people who want to talk about making mods go there.

But it's not something I have a strong opinion on either way.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4698 on: December 09, 2013, 08:56:39 am »

Why won't this song work in Starbound? It just crashes the game.

Also, this post really seems convincing. I've used MML before and it was really easy and intuitive to pick up and do stuff, but ABC looks so ugly in comparison. It's also more standardized than ABC notation.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: December 09, 2013, 09:05:45 am »

Something that i hope will be expanded and bugs me a lot right now are the tech slots. I expected that you had to do some research to get them instead of "Oh look, double jump in mushroom chest!" kind of thing. Worst case it's something to be modded in.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: December 09, 2013, 09:11:09 am »

Also, this post really seems convincing. I've used MML before and it was really easy and intuitive to pick up and do stuff, but ABC looks so ugly in comparison. It's also more standardized than ABC notation.
I think what people overlook the most in these sorts of discussions, is the blighted audacity of one person playing an eight-track MIDI musical piece on a single, say, trumpet.

Get straight-up support for OGGs and MIDIs inside a radio or a music box and be done with it. Instruments, hand-held instruments, should never have more than one track at all. One person being able to replace a whole orchestra defeats the point of trying to assemble an actual orchestra in multiplayer, for instance.

(One unassisted person with one instrument. Not talking about beatboxers with loop pedals here.)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4701 on: December 09, 2013, 09:17:35 am »

Or you could add functionality where you mark tracks as Solo, Melody 1, Harmony 1 etc and have the instrument player select which track they will play. Right now, with ABC notation all you do is play a the same notes at the same time even with multiple instruments in the room. You can't actually collect an orchestra and start all the instruments in sync.

Nobody has the expertise to solve my crashing ABC notation file? T_T

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: December 09, 2013, 09:25:51 am »

Ehh, I haven't messed around with it much. I looked at some files and was like 'mehhhhh.'
:P

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: December 09, 2013, 09:29:48 am »

Tried it, grindy, repetitive and kinda cute.. will check it again in a few months

so, PTW i guess

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: December 09, 2013, 09:31:59 am »

About modding: i read somewhere that it will have lua. However reading the existing assets it looks like there is 0 code, only data (same way the df raws are data only). Anyone knows if that will remain?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4705 on: December 09, 2013, 09:33:06 am »

Pretty sure I've seen several lua files, maybe around the techs. Can't check right now.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: December 09, 2013, 10:17:06 am »

I sure hope key rebinding is on the priority list to get added. Some of us lefties have a hard time without the arrow keys :(

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: December 09, 2013, 10:31:03 am »

Well it won't hurt to try.
Maybe you might even discover ideas the devs haven't even thought of.
Perhaps you could give them some ideas, by releasing that mod on their forums. Should you decided to make it.

Speaking of modding, we could perhaps have the need of a separate modding thread for Starbound?
We tried with minecraft. It worked for a bit, then stopped working.
Its more either one thread or the other dies for a bit afaik. Sometimes, minecraft thread. Othertimes, mods thread. Rarely both.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: December 09, 2013, 10:34:47 am »

No Noon GMT update, so we're probably looking at this evening.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: December 09, 2013, 12:17:04 pm »

Anybody else thing it is strange that all the females of all species have thinner waists and breasts? I mean they had a chance to have all sorts of castes that are somewhat new and interesting beyond typical mammalian male and female...
Or are we just used to that from every other sci fi game ever?

The Floran are asexual and the only difference I've noticed is that their front "leaf" thingy is a bit higher in "females", but nothing else changes (not even the color, as the description says their "flower" should be). In fact all Florans seem slightly female.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 565