Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944714 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4650 on: December 09, 2013, 12:12:28 am »

I'll say this about putting suggestions on the official forums.  Probably, make a new thread every day, instead of several in one day, and at the top, state that it's a Bay12 suggestion and a link to THIS thread, then outline the suggestion clearly and professionally (as opposed to "lol do this").

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: December 09, 2013, 12:16:42 am »

Have you guys considered posting on the subreddit as well?  They seem to reply and communicate to players there.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: December 09, 2013, 12:27:34 am »

Guys please, it's a beta, they're already busy working on everything at once. You can't expect them to work on more than everything they can handle. I'm sure they know about most of your suggestions already but just haven't found the time to implement them. Couldn't you just wait at least until release to see how many of your features they are already planning to implement, before initiating an organized pestering like a bunch of street preachers?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4653 on: December 09, 2013, 12:28:52 am »

I'll say this about putting suggestions on the official forums.  Probably, make a new thread every day, instead of several in one day, and at the top, state that it's a Bay12 suggestion and a link to THIS thread, then outline the suggestion clearly and professionally (as opposed to "lol do this").

Yeah, that's the plan. Once a day, flesh it out a bit more, "came from B12 thread at (link)".

Have you guys considered posting on the subreddit as well?  They seem to reply and communicate to players there.

I will probably post the entire list there at some point as I have a reddit account.

Guys please, it's a beta, they're already busy working on everything at once. You can't expect them to work on more than everything they can handle. I'm sure they know about most of your suggestions already but just haven't found the time to implement them. Couldn't you just wait at least until release to see how many of your features they are already planning to implement, before initiating an organized pestering like a bunch of street preachers?

I don't mean to make this into a like "hey, do this now" thing, just a heads up. Suggestions are suggestions, I'll post them in the suggestions forum, they'll decide whether or not to use them, and either way it's fine.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: December 09, 2013, 12:32:51 am »

Couldn't you just wait at least until release to see how many of your features they are already planning to implement, before initiating an organized pestering like a bunch of street preachers?
... post release is kinda' the worst possible time to try to bring up issues or make suggestions. Beta testers trying to do what beta testers are supposed to do is... what they should be doing.

Do seriously wish there was a proper bug tracker/suggestion thing (mantis, etc.), like I've seen used numerous times with other projects. They seem to make everything a lot easier both for dev and tester when it comes to organizing suggestions and reporting bugs. Nigh infinitely less clumsy than forums, it has seemed t'me, for all the general similarity between the two.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: December 09, 2013, 12:35:41 am »

That sounds rather awesome, if it works.
well...after testing quite a bit, it does work, no generic objects in sight, although I'm not 100% sure how the price setting should be set. Currently its 5 of almost any block type can be refined into 1 pixel and 5 pixels can be made into a block.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: December 09, 2013, 12:41:44 am »

Do seriously wish there was a proper bug tracker/suggestion thing (mantis, etc.), like I've seen used numerous times with other projects. They seem to make everything a lot easier both for dev and tester when it comes to organizing suggestions and reporting bugs. Nigh infinitely less clumsy than forums, it has seemed t'me, for all the general similarity between the two.

There are two stickied threads, one for bugs and one for suggestions, but I'm not too sure how effective they are.

Ninja-edit: Suggestions here. And absurd in terms of the sheer density of them.

Actual edit: I missed the word "proper" in your suggestion. I suppose the suggestions page could be seen as proper, as it's official.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:43:15 am by BlackFlyme »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: December 09, 2013, 12:48:53 am »

Something more along the lines of this, BF. E: Or I guess this would be more appropriate, considering. E2: Point being there's stuff coded specifically to facilitate game/project testing and a forum... isn't, generally. Bug trackers are pretty useful things, from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:54:09 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: December 09, 2013, 12:52:15 am »

The entire point of having a beta is getting feedback on what they're doing. In a perfect world their website would be a nice outlet for communicating their plans and getting public opinion on proposed changes. I think that's what we're trying to do, as opposed to pointless moronic stuff from the site now, like "video game machines should let you play mario and sonic in-game" which was an actually up there at one point. They can't actually say anything of their plans, because it's lose-lose-lose no matter what they do and it's easier for them to just not post anything in development before it's committed to a patch push.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: December 09, 2013, 12:54:30 am »

The nice thing about the forums is that they have a popularity system. Save devs time, they only have to look at the popular ones. ^_^

With that in mind, here's my newest post there:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/give-monsters-common-block-destroying-attacks.43732/

I am SO SO happy we have an absence of the phasing enemies that were the bread and butter of Terraria critters, but I think the ability for common monsters to have some sort of environmental manipulation (destroying of blocks) is going to be a requirement for interesting encounters moving forward.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: December 09, 2013, 12:56:39 am »

Something more along the lines of this, BF. E: Or I guess this would be more appropriate, considering.

Like I mentioned, I missed a very important word in your original post.

You would think they would have set up a proper tracking system for the beta. It would be easier to sort instead of having countless threads screaming at you at once.

Though I can't imagine a proper way to implement a suggestion tracker, since people will always throw out insane ideas all the time. Though the system they have in place right now allows you to up/down vote suggestions, which I think is a decent idea. Though there are probably countless redundant or flat-out absurd suggestions in there.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:58:10 am by BlackFlyme »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: December 09, 2013, 12:57:49 am »

I am SO SO happy we have an absence of the phasing enemies that were the bread and butter of Terraria critters, but I think the ability for common monsters to have some sort of environmental manipulation (destroying of blocks) is going to be a requirement for interesting encounters moving forward.
Actually, they already do have block destroying attacks, just not very intensely. Or rather, not strong enough to actually destroy most (any?) blocks. The little pink bouncy things or the slow purple exploding things both damage tiles, ferex, same as any other projectile/explosion seems to.

... which would probably make implementing more/more varied ones pretty darn easy, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: December 09, 2013, 01:09:12 am »

I kinda of expect strong enemies from around Tier 8 and up to have block destroying bombs already, but I'll go +1 that, Gryph. I'm fine with that kind of stuff as long as I can prevent destruction on my home planet without encasing everything in obsidian.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: December 09, 2013, 01:09:49 am »

The nice thing about the forums is that they have a popularity system. Save devs time, they only have to look at the popular ones. ^_^
The problem there is that people think they know what they want. People hate to be restricted in any way, but often for good development you kind of need to harm your players in some way, so popular ideas tend to be crap.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4664 on: December 09, 2013, 01:14:13 am »

No more.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:30:47 am by Seriyu »
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 565