Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944854 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4530 on: December 08, 2013, 01:06:01 pm »

Anyone know exactly when the update is supposed to be? I keep thinking I want to collect lots of stuff and build awesome things, but if there's only a few hours or less left, there's not much point.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: December 08, 2013, 01:07:44 pm »

They said 'in a few days' yesterday. So you got some time.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4532 on: December 08, 2013, 01:09:43 pm »

Yay! Perhaps I'll build something after all, then.

I was also thinking of gathering a load of ice blocks and going to a civilized world, and encasing all the inhabitants in ice. But now I'm thinking that they probably won't stay there - when you leave the area, they despawn, don't they? And when you come back, they respawn? So they'd just be walking around outside their ice prisons?

Perhaps this requires a bit of !!SCIENCE!!

EDIT: By the way, I've been uploading screen shots to my Steam account. Is anyone else doing that? I want to see stuff that people have found!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: December 08, 2013, 01:23:39 pm »

Anyone else thinks it's a bit unfair that humans get Burgers, which are made from meat (the most abundant food source) and bread (made from wheat, which everyone gets at start), while all the other species need to find the seeds to make any recipes?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4534 on: December 08, 2013, 01:25:36 pm »

Anyone else thinks it's a bit unfair that humans get Burgers, which are made from meat (the most abundant food source) and bread (made from wheat, which everyone gets at start), while all the other species need to find the seeds to make any recipes?

I killed a Glitch and he turned into a burger. That was fun.

The only other thing I can say is I'm sure the other races will get more benefits as the devs fill in the content. As it stands now, Florans certainly have the bread recipe and start with wheat seeds. No idea about other races.

However, I've only played as a Floran so far, so now you're making me want to try a human. Mmmmm burgers.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: December 08, 2013, 01:27:50 pm »

Also I've been deleting planets from my universe folder when I was done with them. They reset to their pristine status, freeing up hard disk (this helps with my obsessive compulsion to never devastate the surface of planets or tunnel indiscriminately :P), and if you change the ore table, they regen with the new ore distribution :) (which I cheated the hell out of because I needed platinum dammit)

I probably won't play again until the update. Now give me that Clonk mining well thingy! (BTW Darkout has an elevator now)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:29:27 pm by Sergius »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4536 on: December 08, 2013, 01:31:49 pm »

I have too many ideas, I can't choose. Should I make a dwarven-style underground fortress? A museum showcasing all my stolen decorations? A mighty treehouse that reaches up to space?

I suddenly wish I was on a multiplayer server. I'll have to join one after the patch. I'd prefer one without mods though... Is everyone going to join the modded one after the update? Or will there be a vanilla one too? Also, what kind of internet speed do you need to play multiplayer well? My internet kind of sucks. : (

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: December 08, 2013, 01:33:16 pm »

I think most of people will play on unmodded one, but I will definitely find someone to host a server with my modpack :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: December 08, 2013, 01:34:15 pm »

I found rice, but it did not unlock the recipe... Also can't kill the stupid ufo :/
Full snow armor, a handful of bandages, and a 10th level-whatsit melee weapon got me through it pretty painlessly. Silver armor would probably be your best bet sans snowcheese, and a decent ranged weapon would likely help. Just run screaming around danger level 10 planets looking for chests or an anchor until you get something usable.

I have too many ideas, I can't choose. Should I make a dwarven-style underground fortress? A museum showcasing all my stolen decorations? A mighty treehouse that reaches up to space?
Space treeeeee. It would totes be part cybertree. Metal bitsies throughout!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: December 08, 2013, 01:40:17 pm »

So, from what I'm reading, the game needs a sandbox mode. You would start with all sectors unlocked, bosses would be optional and not required to advance tiers, and the 3-d printer would be like 80% cheaper and print almost anything, seeds, etc etc. Maybe have them always start in a big NPC settlement with lots of shops.

Of course, you'd have to make it so sandbox characters couldn't join Regular/storymode servers, people couldn't cheese spectacular amounts of good stuff into regular servers ludicrously easily.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4540 on: December 08, 2013, 01:43:41 pm »

So, from what I'm reading, the game needs a sandbox mode. You would start with all sectors unlocked, bosses would be optional and not required to advance tiers, and the 3-d printer would be like 80% cheaper and print almost anything, seeds, etc etc. Maybe have them always start in a big NPC settlement with lots of shops.

Of course, you'd have to make it so sandbox characters couldn't join Regular/storymode servers, people couldn't cheese spectacular amounts of good stuff into regular servers ludicrously easily.

Well, they do call it a "sandbox" game, so yeah, a "sandbox mode" wouldn't be a bad idea.

Now off to build my space tree...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: December 08, 2013, 01:49:39 pm »

Notice that "? ? ?" mode column next to each character? I bet it will be possible to mod in modes later, and make servers joinable only with chars from specific modes. So this should not be a problem.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: December 08, 2013, 01:52:51 pm »

I personally like the Tier system, but a mode that has all sectors available from the start as a character creation option is an interesting alternative. Maybe allowing expensive and not obvious ways to bypass the bosses would be nice too. Like maybe being able to find a molten core in a very tough Tier one dungeon, or crafting it out of a very rare ore found near the very bottom of some planets.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: December 08, 2013, 02:04:28 pm »

This is definitely going into my suggestion list to be mailed off to Molly.

By the way, I've been uploading screen shots to my Steam account. Is anyone else doing that? I want to see stuff that people have found!

Here ya go. I don't have many for Starbound yet since I took a break until the combat push, but there's a ton of stuff I built in Terraria (glowing mushroom cavern city, sky pirate cloudship) if you want to browse for ideas.

Re: Alternative progression modes, I enjoy the current tier system, but I think being able to get items like the processor or molten core without killing bosses *in the story/adventure mode* would circumvent the point of the mode in an undesireable way. Someone would find whatever dungeon has the molten core and post the coords online, then anyone could just skip all the way to the end by mining into the side walls. I'm not sure I like that idea.

There was at one point in development a mention of special dungeons that had elite guardians or minibosses that guarded a "block locker" for lack of a better term, that kept you from mining through walls until the boss was killed and the locker engine destroyed. I'd be a bit more comfortable with that.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4544 on: December 08, 2013, 02:06:39 pm »

I've always kind of liked the idea of loadbearing bosses in dungeons, it's generally a rule I impose on myself when playing games like this. I won't mine out any parts of a dungeon or take any decor until I've cleared it out or killed the boss.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 565