Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944859 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4500 on: December 08, 2013, 09:41:49 am »

For fighters/builders who say it would be too easy if they didn't have to grind for pixels, maybe it could be something optional or easily modded. Multiplayer servers who want "hardcore" difficulty can crank up 3d printing prices and overall pixel prices. But when I'm at home, alone, single player, offline, playing the game I paid for with my few precious hours of spare time, I don't want to spend them hunting monsters. I spend all day at work getting screamed at by small children, then negotiating and planning things with my boss during my unpaid time, then worrying about getting my visa approved, then making sure my student loan payments are going through okay, then fighting my way through the supermarket, then cleaning my apartment, then cooking myself some dinner, and then, only when all that is taken care of, I have an hour or two of freedom before I have to go to bed and start all over. I don't want to spend them grinding.

I really think that the more "hardcore" settings, requiring a lot of grinding and many hours of playtime, are more suited to younger gamers. I remember being sold on RPGs as a kid based on how many hours of content there was. Now I'm an adult. I have way too much other shit to worry about. I want to get to the meat of a game, enjoy it as much as possible in the small amount of time I have. So why not just make it an option? I'm sure there are plenty of gamers with loads of time to grind and fight and all that. But there are also plenty of gamers with very little time, who have just one or two favorite aspects of the game that they want to enjoy before they have to go argue with the bank about the extra fees they just decided to slap on to every transaction without warning.

This is entirely too reasonable to ever happen. :I

I do approve, though.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: December 08, 2013, 09:50:58 am »

The devs should introduce a new type of location other than planets, it can have a combination of different space themed backgrounds generated much like the planet backdrops are, with colorful nebulae and stuff, essentially on the map screen in addition to systems you get something like a 'signature' you can check out. The basic idea for this is space encounters that can be asteroids, abandoned (or not) mining outposts and space stations, derelict space ships etc., all procedurally generated. The same infrastructure can be used to create random encounters that drop you out of warp like gigantic space mosquito attacks or pirate raids (a map with your ship and another, essentially a dungeon in space) for example.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:58:09 am by Mookzen »

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: December 08, 2013, 09:57:26 am »

Alternatively, you could just purchase the navigation chips whenever, just for increasingly large sums. Technically this means you can skip the crafting progression and kit yourself out entirely through exploration and moneymaking. You'd still need to go through the progression if you wanted to start crafting things.

Just musing on the whole alternate tier progression thing. With the combat revamp, low-tier characters will have more of a fighting chance in high-tier worlds, and just buying the starmap upgrades becomes viable, since you trade your ability to craft things for it. The builders and explorers are happy because they don't have to fight bosses, the fighters are happy since they can go to out-of-depth places earlier, the "way it's meant to be played" crafters/adventurers just play it normally.

As I was reading through the thread, I was wondering "why hasn't anybody suggested multiple ways, rather than just combat, of getting past the progression barriers?"  And then you come along and do it.  Bravo, sir, bravo.

As someone who's been running around merrily exploring, mining, building and (slightly less) slaughtering in the early tiers, but keeps getting endlessly ganked by the UFO and has yet to get a molten core (yeah, I know, I'm bad at this  :-[), if there were another way to unlock that barrier I'd be happy.  I don't want to avoid challenge, I just want the challenge to be based on one of the OTHER 4 Xs of the game (because, at least in my head, it's an eXplore, eXpand/build, eXploit (ruins/villages/merchants) and eXterminate game...just with everything locked behind barriers of the last X).

N.B.  Yes, I know about the avian gun merchants.  I've been avoiding it so far, but should probably set myself up with that in order to get the firepower to get past the UFO, at least.  I'm fully kitted out in leather and tech, so it's just a firepower/really-poor-at-dodging-penguins issue on my part.  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: December 08, 2013, 10:03:57 am »

Been suggested, definitely not a bad idea, Mook.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4504 on: December 08, 2013, 10:08:54 am »

Alternatively, you could just purchase the navigation chips whenever, just for increasingly large sums. Technically this means you can skip the crafting progression and kit yourself out entirely through exploration and moneymaking. You'd still need to go through the progression if you wanted to start crafting things.

Just musing on the whole alternate tier progression thing. With the combat revamp, low-tier characters will have more of a fighting chance in high-tier worlds, and just buying the starmap upgrades becomes viable, since you trade your ability to craft things for it. The builders and explorers are happy because they don't have to fight bosses, the fighters are happy since they can go to out-of-depth places earlier, the "way it's meant to be played" crafters/adventurers just play it normally.

As I was reading through the thread, I was wondering "why hasn't anybody suggested multiple ways, rather than just combat, of getting past the progression barriers?"  And then you come along and do it.  Bravo, sir, bravo.

As someone who's been running around merrily exploring, mining, building and (slightly less) slaughtering in the early tiers, but keeps getting endlessly ganked by the UFO and has yet to get a molten core (yeah, I know, I'm bad at this  :-[), if there were another way to unlock that barrier I'd be happy.  I don't want to avoid challenge, I just want the challenge to be based on one of the OTHER 4 Xs of the game (because, at least in my head, it's an eXplore, eXpand/build, eXploit (ruins/villages/merchants) and eXterminate game...just with everything locked behind barriers of the last X).

N.B.  Yes, I know about the avian gun merchants.  I've been avoiding it so far, but should probably set myself up with that in order to get the firepower to get past the UFO, at least.  I'm fully kitted out in leather and tech, so it's just a firepower/really-poor-at-dodging-penguins issue on my part.  :P

Very well said. That's what I've been trying to say, though you put it far better than I have: The game has multiple aspects, so why are we forced to use only one of those aspects to progress? This suggestion needs to be sent to the devs.

Edit: Hooray, I found my seeds! Picking up all the chests did the trick. Seems that for some reason, after I put them in the chest, they disappeared from the chest's inventory. I filled up the inventory with other stuff, having forgotten that this was the one I put my food in. When I picked up the chest, everything reappeared. My precious seeds are back! Now to set up a wicked farming colony just in time for the wipe....
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:14:54 am by Sappho »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: December 08, 2013, 10:19:51 am »

This is the first game I've played that lets me play as a pretty pink flower girl while hunting the local fauna on alien planets. I love it!

In all seriousness, I just got the game a couple hours ago and adore it thus far. I wasn't really all that big into Terraria, to be honest. Terraria never really had much content; it was a very shallow game that felt like everything was added very patchwork. Sure, at the end Terraria had hundreds of unique items and stuff, but none of it was really integrated in a way that made the game feel any deeper than it was. In fact, the later patches felt more like someone took vanilla Terraria and spent a year modding it. "Oh yeah there's not really much else to do... but if you open that chest ten meters from spawn, you might find ten assorted types of spears!!1!"

Starbound is beautiful, and not just because of how it looks and sounds. Everything feels well integrated - like it was meant to be there. And I can be a pretty pink flower, so fuck you terraria.

You know I never realized it but I think this is exactly how I ended up feeling about Terraria. It does have more direction than minecraft though, which I do appriciate. But it's got like no unified theme or feel to it besides that. I think if anything I liked hardmode so much because the corruption and hallowed themes WERE ACTUALLY CONSISTENT and I felt like I was playing one game instead of 12 pasted together at that point.

And then they added the new patch, which while fun for a while brought the patchwork feel to hardmode. And now I realize why I was so disappointed with that patch past a point...

I personally hope they keep the sector and Teir system though. I like having a sense of progression and advancement to go along with my crafting, building and exploring.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4506 on: December 08, 2013, 10:30:03 am »

A pair of Apex houseguests just invited themselves over from their neighboring settlement. Actually they kind of got chased over by a fire-spitting bird, which I killed for them. So they came right inside, made themselves comfy. They just keep walking back and forth, opening the doors every time I close them, but not leaving. I'm tempted to encase them in glass and keep them hostage, or start a zoo. I bet I could take that entire settlement if I really tried... It's only a level 2 planet after all...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: December 08, 2013, 10:59:54 am »

Anyone found an Ocean Planet? Wouldn't mind setting up my home there considering I always choose the fish people...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: December 08, 2013, 11:03:51 am »

If we still have a suggestion list going around, add that planets should have more variety. Some should not have creatures, some don't have a atmosphere, some are completely barren. etc.

Also, I read that you could do inventory editing? How do you do that, because I was messing around and ended up deleting my character.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:07:30 am by werty892 »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: December 08, 2013, 11:12:53 am »

I find the lack of multi-biomed planets disappointing, to say the least.
Also, what good is the random generation for if only a handful of items are actually worthwhile and all monsters do the same thing in the end...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: December 08, 2013, 11:16:10 am »

You know I never realized it but I think this is exactly how I ended up feeling about Terraria. It does have more direction than minecraft though, which I do appriciate. But it's got like no unified theme or feel to it besides that. I think if anything I liked hardmode so much because the corruption and hallowed themes WERE ACTUALLY CONSISTENT and I felt like I was playing one game instead of 12 pasted together at that point.

And then they added the new patch, which while fun for a while brought the patchwork feel to hardmode. And now I realize why I was so disappointed with that patch past a point...

I personally hope they keep the sector and Teir system though. I like having a sense of progression and advancement to go along with my crafting, building and exploring.
Definitely one of the things about how Terraria feels. It's kinda a "wouldn't it be cool if you had this" kinda game, but one of the issues definitely was that by the end the whole thing is basically a bunch of fun ideas stuck together in a ball of superglue. It's a game where you fight classic horror monsters and pirates, and the snowman mafia, using sword, bow and modern machinegun. Which sounds great, but well, it lends a sort of artificial feel to things. Questions of why when and where don't matter so much there, but you can ask them and maybe find answers in Starbound, and you'd possibly get an answer.

Which isn't something to discount really. Yeah, starbound has a bow, but it does feel like a stranded a shipwrecked situation for about the first tier. anyway, my two cents on this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: December 08, 2013, 11:40:55 am »

The devs should introduce a new type of location other than planets[...]
They definitely mentioned extra-planetary bodies (astroids, space stations, etc.) a few times during the development posts. Primarily in relation to potential PvP arenas, iirc, but once it's done I imagine it wouldn't take much to adjust it for less contentious endeavors. So that's probably going to happen, in due time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: December 08, 2013, 11:57:00 am »

There's already asteroids above planets. So I'm pretty sure the general idea of making objects other than planets to explore is still there. I still think finding derelict spaceships or stations would be completely awesome though. I imagine with the planet and coordinate system it would be a little odd to implement however...

I guess making them mechanically planet systems and revealing them to you only when you've gotten a certain distance from them on the starmap would make sense.

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: December 08, 2013, 12:02:46 pm »

Started up a new character too see their ships and damn the fish people have classy looking ships.

Anyone know how to make those japanese paper panel walls they have? The 3D printer took the lamps but it won't accept the walls.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4514 on: December 08, 2013, 12:08:42 pm »

Whaaa Glitch castles are SO COOL! Also, they attack me on sight, giving me an excuse to chop them all to bits!

Highlight so far: I kill a glitch knight on a horse, and the girl he was standing in front of says "Impressive." She doesn't attack me. You know it, baby.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 565