Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945013 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4470 on: December 08, 2013, 04:30:00 am »

5) Growable wood. Plants like banana trees yield a small amount of wood when harvested.
I know this post is a few pages back, but bananas don't grow on trees.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: December 08, 2013, 04:32:39 am »

Do you mean in game, or real life? Because I have seen banana trees in real life. I have made hats out of their leaves. I know it to be true. You can not question hats.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: December 08, 2013, 04:34:40 am »

Not trees, herbs.
They have flowers and seeds, justify your statement.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4473 on: December 08, 2013, 04:35:06 am »

If you shift-clicked the seeds into a full chest, removing the chest should release them.

No, I clicked and dropped them into an open slot in the chest. I can try picking up the chest and seeing if they come back, I guess. But I suppose with the wipe coming, there's not much point in freaking out if I've lost them now.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: December 08, 2013, 04:37:56 am »

Also, bananas are sterile. They're a cross breed between two different species. All the bananas you eat are clones.
Yea the edible ones are sterile, but they aren't the only types of bananas...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: December 08, 2013, 04:51:35 am »

Do you mean in game, or real life? Because I have seen banana trees in real life. I have made hats out of their leaves. I know it to be true. You can not question hats.
They are not trees. They are tall plants with big leaves, but they're not trees. They do not have a woody stem  ∴ aren't trees.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4476 on: December 08, 2013, 05:10:49 am »

Okay, I went through the thread from the most recent update and noted all the complaints/requests. I avoided mentioning things that are like "reconstruct the entire crafting system to incoorporate metal density and shear tension" (IE, mega huge changes that fundamentally alter how the game works. For reference "remove the segregation of sectors so I can fly to a level 100 planet" made it in, so I'm being pretty relaxed about this), but there was only, like, one thing that even got close, and even then it was jokey.

I'll probably send this out tomorrow night sometime, so if anyone has a big list of stuff you'd like me to send to mollygos, message me. Messaging me is particularly important now, because while I try to keep up with the thread, I tend to skim it rather then read it in depth when I wake up. (I did get your stuff Sappho, don't worry, you don't need to message me!)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: December 08, 2013, 05:16:42 am »

On the crafting window, what do the four coloured little rectangles in the top left of the window, above the list of craftable items, do? I assume they're filters of some sort but without rollover text I don't know what they do exactly.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4478 on: December 08, 2013, 05:22:25 am »

For fighters/builders who say it would be too easy if they didn't have to grind for pixels, maybe it could be something optional or easily modded. Multiplayer servers who want "hardcore" difficulty can crank up 3d printing prices and overall pixel prices. But when I'm at home, alone, single player, offline, playing the game I paid for with my few precious hours of spare time, I don't want to spend them hunting monsters. I spend all day at work getting screamed at by small children, then negotiating and planning things with my boss during my unpaid time, then worrying about getting my visa approved, then making sure my student loan payments are going through okay, then fighting my way through the supermarket, then cleaning my apartment, then cooking myself some dinner, and then, only when all that is taken care of, I have an hour or two of freedom before I have to go to bed and start all over. I don't want to spend them grinding.

I really think that the more "hardcore" settings, requiring a lot of grinding and many hours of playtime, are more suited to younger gamers. I remember being sold on RPGs as a kid based on how many hours of content there was. Now I'm an adult. I have way too much other shit to worry about. I want to get to the meat of a game, enjoy it as much as possible in the small amount of time I have. So why not just make it an option? I'm sure there are plenty of gamers with loads of time to grind and fight and all that. But there are also plenty of gamers with very little time, who have just one or two favorite aspects of the game that they want to enjoy before they have to go argue with the bank about the extra fees they just decided to slap on to every transaction without warning.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: December 08, 2013, 05:26:33 am »

Alternatively, you could just purchase the navigation chips whenever, just for increasingly large sums. Technically this means you can skip the crafting progression and kit yourself out entirely through exploration and moneymaking. You'd still need to go through the progression if you wanted to start crafting things.

Just musing on the whole alternate tier progression thing. With the combat revamp, low-tier characters will have more of a fighting chance in high-tier worlds, and just buying the starmap upgrades becomes viable, since you trade your ability to craft things for it. The builders and explorers are happy because they don't have to fight bosses, the fighters are happy since they can go to out-of-depth places earlier, the "way it's meant to be played" crafters/adventurers just play it normally.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4480 on: December 08, 2013, 05:40:14 am »

Alternatively, you could just purchase the navigation chips whenever, just for increasingly large sums. Technically this means you can skip the crafting progression and kit yourself out entirely through exploration and moneymaking. You'd still need to go through the progression if you wanted to start crafting things.

Just musing on the whole alternate tier progression thing. With the combat revamp, low-tier characters will have more of a fighting chance in high-tier worlds, and just buying the starmap upgrades becomes viable, since you trade your ability to craft things for it. The builders and explorers are happy because they don't have to fight bosses, the fighters are happy since they can go to out-of-depth places earlier, the "way it's meant to be played" crafters/adventurers just play it normally.

That actually sounds like a pretty viable system. I would vote for that.

Edit: Someone just posted this on the Steam thread, seems like a great way to solve the problem of traveling to your home planet:
How about warping ? your ship stay at its current location but you can warp at the surface of your home planet wenever you want. like bringing a menu when using the ship teleport station.
this would make every one happy i think.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:19:28 am by Sappho »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4482 on: December 08, 2013, 07:03:09 am »

Death to heathens!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: December 08, 2013, 07:16:33 am »

Yeah, I'm not fanboi'ing this, but that *is* as good as a "zombie horse embark" in DF.

what? FUN balance? yeah....... procedural death and stuff and giggles and fun!
It's a game. Have fun.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: December 08, 2013, 07:18:11 am »

This is the first game I've played that lets me play as a pretty pink flower girl while hunting the local fauna on alien planets. I love it!

In all seriousness, I just got the game a couple hours ago and adore it thus far. I wasn't really all that big into Terraria, to be honest. Terraria never really had much content; it was a very shallow game that felt like everything was added very patchwork. Sure, at the end Terraria had hundreds of unique items and stuff, but none of it was really integrated in a way that made the game feel any deeper than it was. In fact, the later patches felt more like someone took vanilla Terraria and spent a year modding it. "Oh yeah there's not really much else to do... but if you open that chest ten meters from spawn, you might find ten assorted types of spears!!1!"

Starbound is beautiful, and not just because of how it looks and sounds. Everything feels well integrated - like it was meant to be there. And I can be a pretty pink flower, so fuck you terraria.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 565