Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945235 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4215 on: December 07, 2013, 01:33:55 am »

There are supposed to be more racial differences down the road, too.

@Whoever is going to try to stash their stuff so they aren't required to do all the annoying bits of the grind over: You don't have to make a backup of the whole universe file. You can search for planets you've visited/made changes to with their coordinates within the universe folder.

Potentially this also means that it could be very easy to share things like challenge maps; all you'd have to do would be build the thing in your game, save, and upload a copy of that world's file. Anyone who wanted to play it could just download the file, drop it in their universe folder, and be able to warp over and play with what you've built. Theoretically, of course, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, provided the creator's and user's versions are compatible.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: December 07, 2013, 01:39:37 am »

So I set up a Tool Spawner in my ship. A floran merchant came out who sells Rope, Flairs and Bombs. Her quote when I walk near her is "Floran hope you not die!", its adorable! She is talking to another crewmate right now...

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4217 on: December 07, 2013, 01:40:50 am »

I finally walked all the way across a planet! The secret is bandages. Lots of bandages.

I also found a chef hat.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: December 07, 2013, 01:45:15 am »

Yep. All the bandages. Take your axe to a bunch of those giant fiber trees and make tons and tons of bandages. They've taken me through the boss, reaching the bottom of a planet, and multiple times all the way around others. Red combat stims a few times, too.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: December 07, 2013, 01:48:45 am »

I finally walked all the way across a planet! The secret is bandages. Lots of bandages.

I also found a chef hat.

Bandages really need a nerf; something like Terraria's potion cooldown, maybe?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: December 07, 2013, 01:52:21 am »

I also found a chef hat.

Burn him!

They are perfectly fine as is, imo. Burgers are way better anyway.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: December 07, 2013, 01:53:41 am »

I also found a chef hat.

Burn him!

They are perfectly fine as is, imo. Burgers are way better anyway.

Beds are also great, but you have to clear a space.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: December 07, 2013, 01:55:13 am »

God dammit... The skeleton dragon got stuck in a wall... Right in my teleport point. Every time I try to teleport down I get hit and instantly die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:01 am »

I've got a stimpack merchant spawner sitting in a chest, but haven't used it because I horde stims like no tomorrow.

Man, this though:

Potentially this also means that it could be very easy to share things like challenge maps; all you'd have to do would be build the thing in your game, save, and upload a copy of that world's file. Anyone who wanted to play it could just download the file, drop it in their universe folder, and be able to warp over and play with what you've built. Theoretically, of course, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, provided the creator's and user's versions are compatible.

I'm getting sort of hyped again, because once things have stabilized it'll mean I can easily make and transfer around a murderdungeon platforming area.

On a related note, now that I've had a chance to reflect, I actually really like the way they handled the techs. The current setup forces you to choose which one you're going to use before you're actually in a fight, while allowing you to switch up your choice in platforming sequences, in addition to choosing a loadout before you beam down, at least once you have >4. I really, really like the apparent intent behind that, because it adds a surprising degree of thought to the hacky-slashy-shooty-platformy action, by giving you a bunch of different tools to solve the problems thereof and letting you have at it. As it stands it's one of the most freeform aspects of the game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: December 07, 2013, 02:24:22 am »

In response to their latest bout of intended changes, I have to ask: why lose the 100 planet levels?

It's just losing the fidelity of the difficulty level in favor of a generally same difficulty across a sector.

Why not have, for instance, a level 1 planet be a Tier 1 planet with all Easy monsters? A level 2 would have very rare Medium monsters deep down to keep you on guard. A level 3 would have a little more Mediums, a level 5 would be mostly Mediums with a mix of Easy and Hard monsters in places, an 8 would be all Mediums and Hards, and a 10 would have all Tier 1 Hards, with an occasional Tier 2 Easy thrown in, for some out-of-depth challenge and a chance of good loot. Then continue the progression for the next tier, and so on. I think it'd be better than what they're aiming for right now.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4225 on: December 07, 2013, 02:32:06 am »

So I set up a Tool Spawner in my ship. A floran merchant came out who sells Rope, Flairs and Bombs. Her quote when I walk near her is "Floran hope you not die!", its adorable! She is talking to another crewmate right now...

That's so awesome. I hope you can't accidentally kill those people. I'd be so paranoid.

I tried sticking a chef spawner I found in the 3D printer, and it just disappeared. Sad day.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: December 07, 2013, 02:47:06 am »

That's so awesome. I hope you can't accidentally kill those people. I'd be so paranoid.

I tried sticking a chef spawner I found in the 3D printer, and it just disappeared. Sad day.
You can accidentally kill them; I lost the doctor merchant by accidentally knifing him once.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: December 07, 2013, 02:53:32 am »

Ok on killing the UFO... You want to build a tower of "Wood platforms" (Wow has Terraria prepared me for this) and have a weapon from the level 10 planet (meaning it has peirce 15)

Now... your armor should be full silver ANYTHING LESS means tons of damage.

And just have about 20 bandages and the UFO should be in the bag.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: December 07, 2013, 02:57:44 am »

Ok on killing the UFO... You want to build a tower of "Wood platforms" (Wow has Terraria prepared me for this) and have a weapon from the level 10 planet (meaning it has peirce 15)

Now... your armor should be full silver leather ANYTHING LESS means tons of damage.

And just have about 20 bandages and the UFO should be in the bag.

Fixed.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4229 on: December 07, 2013, 02:57:59 am »

Aww, starbound's getting a character reset soon :o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 565