Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944462 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4095 on: December 06, 2013, 04:45:33 pm »

An awful lot of people seem to be overlooking the fact that this is a beta and has been expressly stated that it is not feature complete or balanced in any way, shape or form. Come on guys, don't call the game out for having poor progression/content/balance this early in public development :/
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: December 06, 2013, 04:47:07 pm »

I haven't seen anyone overlooking the fact that its a Beta, actually. Not really sure what you are talking about.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: December 06, 2013, 04:47:12 pm »

I really thought this game would be more about building and exploring than it is. The focus really seems to be on fighting, to the point where you really can't do anything in the game without a lot of fighting. I know they're going to change a lot of things, but it doesn't seem likely that they'll change that. It's very disappointing. All that video footage they showed of them building and exploring stuff, relatively little about fighting, yet it turns out you have to fight crazy bosses just to unlock most of the items and planets.
Mind you, the exploration is still the fun part. Invading an Apex lab and reading through the logs and discovering they hired a Floran mercenary and figuring out the story behind that weird mutant zombie ape you killed (they were experimenting on "undesirables") was the most fun I've had in the game so far, and it really WAS very fun.

This is the kind of stuff I want. But I can't really get to that until I can get good enough equipment to not get killed by everything, which means I have to fight a lot before I can do any real exploration, and since I suck at that, it's going to take me ages to get anywhere interesting. I guess that's what has me disappointed. I mean, I'd rather grind more to get materials to craft higher-level stuff (and be able to customize it, are we going to be able to customize our stuff? somehow I remember thinking we would) than be forced to either fight a boss or remain forever at tier 1.

If I was you I would get about 30 coal and hop over to a different level 1 planet(not snow) and try there. It sounds to me like you might have a difficult starting planet, which I had with one of my characters. It's pretty hard and then all of a sudden I was on an almost peaceful lvl 1 planet with only 1 or two natively hostile species. I got silver armor there.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: December 06, 2013, 04:47:34 pm »

An awful lot of people seem to be overlooking the fact that this is a beta and has been expressly stated that it is not feature complete or balanced in any way, shape or form. Come on guys, don't call the game out for having poor progression/content/balance this early in public development :/

The main criticisms are actually of core game features (tiers, sectors) that the devs seem really set on rather than content swaps that are easy to fix (AP/bosses/progression). No one's overlooking this as a beta.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: December 06, 2013, 05:07:05 pm »

Custom songs for your music instruments: http://www.kaasthebard.net/

Put them in your songs folder.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: December 06, 2013, 05:11:46 pm »

Balance issues aside, I'm very disappointed with the procedural creatures. They're so random that they all look the same. I'd love to see a bit of a 'theme' in each planet's bestiary, something that makes it obvious that these animals share a common ancestor and gives a bit of an identity to the local fauna. Preferably a couple of sub-themes with a distinct overarching theme per planet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: December 06, 2013, 05:21:16 pm »

Actually, I'm going to register over on their forums for the sole purpose of posting a manifesto re: how the linear, railroaded grind is going to kill the game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: December 06, 2013, 05:22:24 pm »

I would like... for people to jot down the location of various goodies around different planets.  Just simple stuff, like the coordinates and the type of structure, penal colonies, airship mooring, Glitch bunkers, etc.

I think, honestly, the best way to play the game right now to enjoy it, would be to get several people on the same server new characters, with one person supplying suits of armor fitting the tier, so players could agree to go explore a particular planet, and collectively dive into different dungeon settings at an acceptable difficulty.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: December 06, 2013, 05:30:59 pm »

I'm playing almost solely to collect codex entries and scan loot.

It REALLY fucking sucks how much grind there is to scanning. For no fucking reason, argh, why do I have to spent an hour and a half killing stuff just to scan my loot? Which means I /lose/ it and can't USE it without grinding MORE!?!? Who the hell thought that would be a good idea!?

That's one thing I both hope gets changes and actually believe might be, though.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: December 06, 2013, 05:36:32 pm »

Looking for some advice. What kind of equipment should I have got before calling the UFO?

I put a seed in, hit scan, the seed disappeared. Closed the printer, nothing happened. Opened it again, nothing happened. I seem to have just lost my seed, and it won't even let me print new ones. There's nothing in my schematics list.
That's weird as it's working for me and I tried it again to double check. Apparently it's a item duplication bug, while thought it only worked on seeds and was deliberate. Wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: December 06, 2013, 05:36:42 pm »

How does the scanner work anyway?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: December 06, 2013, 05:37:11 pm »

The cost to scan is really rather silly.  Cost to 3D print, sure that's fine, but cost to actually scan it being so high for many items, that's prohibitive to gameplay.  The fact that the only reasonable way to get that many pixels is to wander the planet in circles looking for kills REALLY sets the game's tone as a hack-n-slash rather than construction game.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: December 06, 2013, 05:38:25 pm »

How does the scanner work anyway?

Scan set pieces and decorations you can't craft... at a price. You can now re-print those items... at a price.

If scanning had zero cost, and 3D printing had about 1/5 or 1/10 its current cost, that would be a huge step to making SB a building and exploration game.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: December 06, 2013, 05:42:13 pm »

Fivex, what's up (or rather down) with your server?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: December 06, 2013, 05:43:35 pm »

Looking for some advice. What kind of equipment should I have got before calling the UFO?

At least Silver-Tier armor, a good weapon with high armor penetration, preferably ranged. (An Iron Hunting Bow might work, but the battle will take much longer.)
Several bandages and/or red stim packs.
Lots of dirt in case you need to bunker down, however the UFO can break it so keep that in mind.

Now this is how I did it and yes, with an Iron Hunting Bow.. Took some time to beat it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:45:53 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 565