Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944699 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4080 on: December 06, 2013, 03:28:12 pm »

You can make bandages anywhere if you have plant fibers.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4081 on: December 06, 2013, 03:28:22 pm »

A yarn spinner... Makes leather items?

Wouldn't the crafting table make more sense?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: December 06, 2013, 03:40:08 pm »

So, I've advanced to Tier 2, and assembled the robot thing.

The robot boss is... well, "too powerful" is one thing, but the problem is it doesn't behave like a boss. It behaves like a monster, it's impossible to fight it in anything except either a slugging match (deck out in armor and get a great shield and whack away) or a cheesy tactical approach. I got killed by it a few times, then made use of the planet's soft soil and dug myself a tiny tunnel with a 1 tile opening right under its legs. The Brain Extractor hits it for 17 damage, and autofires. Plink, plink, plink, plink...

It needs a set of "bosslike" pattern attacks and telegraphed moves, so that a player can have a chance to avoid its attacks and use mobility against it. First time it killed me, it just sort of radiated an instakill aura around itself with no warning. Another time it just spat napalm at me without warning. I'd like to be able to fight it like one fights a typical platformer boss - like you fight the UFO, essentially. I had a minimal preparation for that fight, two 1-handed swords and a small dirt arena to maneuver. Took me a while, but that fight was fun! Dodge, weave, smack minions, avoid raining plasma, jump up to hit the saucer a few times, smack more minions, snipe with the bow through a small opening in the dirt ceiling, get out of dodge as the saucer comes down and crushes the little cover, rebuild cover, smack more minions, dodge more plasma, jump and hit it again, etc, etc. It was long, it was probably still a bit too hard to damage than it should have been (you can't really find better weapons than what you craft in 1st tier), but it was a manageable fight, on par with what you can see in a decent platformer like Aria of Sorrow, or maybe UnEpic (it had a superficially similar fight at one point).

With the robot boss, there's none of that. It just rushes forward, and either gets stuck in the landscape, or kills you.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: December 06, 2013, 03:57:18 pm »

My 3d printer's been wiped. Everything I had scanned, which thankfully wasn't much, is now missing.

Were there any changes to it in the latest patch?

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: December 06, 2013, 04:02:22 pm »

snip
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:06:06 pm by SharpKris »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: December 06, 2013, 04:06:56 pm »

Ya, it's better to stop playing until things get sorted out. At least I'm going to stop for now.

Not to mention there's nothing to do any more lol once you get to this level.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:50 pm »

I wondered what would happen when poison and water mix ...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4087 on: December 06, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »

I really thought this game would be more about building and exploring than it is. The focus really seems to be on fighting, to the point where you really can't do anything in the game without a lot of fighting. I know they're going to change a lot of things, but it doesn't seem likely that they'll change that. It's very disappointing. All that video footage they showed of them building and exploring stuff, relatively little about fighting, yet it turns out you have to fight crazy bosses just to unlock most of the items and planets.

I guess I should have waited a bit longer to buy it. But those videos all made it look so great... Now I'm afraid that Stardew Valley will be the same when it's released, something completely different than what I expect.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: December 06, 2013, 04:23:48 pm »

Don't worry about buying it now and find it lacking. That's normal for a game in Beta stage. At least you got it at the discounted price instead of the $20 when its done and wait for MONTHS and maybe even a YEAR OR TWO to get it at 50% off.

Are you willing to wait?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: December 06, 2013, 04:26:26 pm »

Yeah...  I miss the immense diversity of stuff I could build almost right away in Terraria. Also, rotating stuff is a major PITA.

I trust Chucklefish, this is a beta, after all. We'll see.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: December 06, 2013, 04:33:14 pm »

I really thought this game would be more about building and exploring than it is. The focus really seems to be on fighting, to the point where you really can't do anything in the game without a lot of fighting. I know they're going to change a lot of things, but it doesn't seem likely that they'll change that. It's very disappointing. All that video footage they showed of them building and exploring stuff, relatively little about fighting, yet it turns out you have to fight crazy bosses just to unlock most of the items and planets.
Mind you, the exploration is still the fun part. Invading an Apex lab and reading through the logs and discovering they hired a Floran mercenary and figuring out the story behind that weird mutant zombie ape you killed (they were experimenting on "undesirables") was the most fun I've had in the game so far, and it really WAS very fun.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: December 06, 2013, 04:35:33 pm »

Actually, I found cultists and a mutant/zombie ape thing in a cage. I'm sure there's a story behind that.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4092 on: December 06, 2013, 04:39:18 pm »

Mind you, the exploration is still the fun part. Invading an Apex lab and reading through the logs and discovering they hired a Floran mercenary and figuring out the story behind that weird mutant zombie ape you killed (they were experimenting on "undesirables") was the most fun I've had in the game so far, and it really WAS very fun.

This is the kind of stuff I want. But I can't really get to that until I can get good enough equipment to not get killed by everything, which means I have to fight a lot before I can do any real exploration, and since I suck at that, it's going to take me ages to get anywhere interesting. I guess that's what has me disappointed. I mean, I'd rather grind more to get materials to craft higher-level stuff (and be able to customize it, are we going to be able to customize our stuff? somehow I remember thinking we would) than be forced to either fight a boss or remain forever at tier 1.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: December 06, 2013, 04:43:54 pm »

Definitely out of this until inventory disappearing issues are fixed/boss updates. I'm not fighting the bosses all over again all the time because I lost a critical item.

I also found out what happened to my molten core forge.

I created it, plopped it in a storage to hold since my inventory was packed from mining out the planet below.

Cleaning ship out, moving furniture around, my inventory somehow gets entirely full. I clear out 4-5 spots and continue my reorganization, then take down the storage chest I had my forge in, figuring all the items would just get spit out for me to grab.

Lo and behold, it spits out about.. 70% of the things that were in it. The molten forge not being one of them.

This was right after I'd fought the UFO twice in a row because the first time I got killed and came back, it was just gone [so I had to farm all the pixels again].

Each fight took about ten minutes of clicking in a cheese-bunker to be able to actually kill the goddamn thing. Seriously, not doing that again.

I hope you are posting this on the official forum. Things like this are exactly the reason for the beta. I have 12 hours of play time and have had one bug/crash. I know that makes me one of the lucky ones. I submitted that bug, even though I am sure it was already reported. I lost some items and progress with that crash, but that is expected to happen over and over. Also, there is the chance that at any point a patch could come along that wouldn't be compatible with my save games, and I am ok with that. It's a beta.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 565