Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944888 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #3930 on: December 06, 2013, 01:24:47 am »

Actualy, does anyone have tips for messing around with the tier two boss? I'm in steel armour and getting stomped on in about two hits.
You'll rage when you realize how easy it actually is.

Build a wall as high as you can reach, holding shift to make it a single block thick.  He can't cross it.  If you stand about 3 blocks up from his position, you can hit him optimally with any given melee weapon.

Best way to do this: Start with flat.  Move west of the beam-down spot.  Place robot.  Place wall towards the east, so that you cannot get back to the beam-down.  Activate robot, and be killed immediately.  When you beam down again, it should be on the other side of the wall and you'll be safe at the spawn point and able to start attacking.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:13 am »

Question: Are there any bosses in this game that aren't about cheesy exploits ?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: December 06, 2013, 01:36:35 am »

Question: Are there any bosses in this game that aren't about cheesy exploits ?
The bosses are cheesy.  Any given mob at high tier can one-shot you, and bosses are just exceptionally good at having high stats and no combat style.  Terraria knew its bosses, they flew, they clipped through terrain, and her move sets that could be handled.  Starbound bosses are brute-force number games, and they've simply been marked up as incredibly high defense and attack, making player weapons and armor primarily worthless, and leaving cheese as the only viable option to actually win any fight.

The Tier 2 robot boss can one-shot a full steel character (max armor at that tier) so there's no need to even wear armor.  Get the weapons, get the boss summoner, and learn the cheese.  Attempting an honest battle requires a LOT of online help, or a lot of time to respawn several dozen times.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: December 06, 2013, 01:43:39 am »

I'm assuming the armor is useful for the gamma galaxy though, right? I would hate to think my search for gold has been for naught.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: December 06, 2013, 01:47:57 am »

I'm assuming the armor is useful for the gamma galaxy though, right? I would hate to think my search for gold has been for naught.
I'm begining to think that armor is only ever useful for the low set of the same tier (silver armor is good against difficulty 3, and steel is good against 12 and 13) or for dominating an area (steel makes you nearly immune to 5-10).  For actual same-level fighting, the enemies just outmatch you too far for armor to make a difference.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3935 on: December 06, 2013, 01:52:04 am »

I just got to the Beta area with full iron armor and everything's one-shotting me. Is there a reliable place I can go to get silver and gold? Or am I just supposed to avoid getting within spitting distance of these things?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: December 06, 2013, 01:53:53 am »

Public beta was a good idea. Hopefully they'll get this all rebalanced and bosses will become more interesting to fight.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: December 06, 2013, 01:54:55 am »

Re: Gold & Silver: As has been noted a few times already, dig deeper. Lower parts of even low difficulty level planets seem to have silver and gold show up relatively often. I'd personally suggestion a desert planet, from what I've seen so far. Less rock, more sand/fine sand for easier digging.

Also mining while surfing about on a constantly shifting pile of junk is kinda' fun to watch.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: December 06, 2013, 01:56:17 am »

The giant sand funnel is incredibly fun! And profitable... Anyway reports are that moons contain the highest ore density, but you will need to be ready for the cold.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: December 06, 2013, 01:57:29 am »

The giant sand funnel is incredibly fun! And profitable... Anyway reports are that moons contain the highest ore density, but you will need to be ready for the cold.
Easier after the update when you can wear thicker padded warm stuff.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: December 06, 2013, 02:00:52 am »

So I'm about to fight the robot and still running on 100% self crafted stuff. Haven't even found any tec to speak of! Lots of really bad weapons though...

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: December 06, 2013, 02:06:01 am »

I remember reading that non-atmospheric moons were going to be barren, lifeless or sparsely populated hunks of rock with unique environmental challenges. I hope that they do eventually take this course, as I like the idea of a quiet and secluded moonbase to build, craft, and experiment from.

Speaking of biomes, has anyone encountered anything but forest, arid, desert, snow, and moon-type planets? I've yet to sight an ocean, lava, or savannah...
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: December 06, 2013, 02:12:02 am »

I remember reading that non-atmospheric moons were going to be barren, lifeless or sparsely populated hunks of rock with unique environmental challenges. I hope that they do eventually take this course, as I like the idea of a quiet and secluded moonbase to build, craft, and experiment from.

Speaking of biomes, has anyone encountered anything but forest, arid, desert, snow, and moon-type planets? I've yet to sight an ocean, lava, or savannah...
I'd personally love for moons to suffer from infrequent meteorites, usually targetting unnatural blocks (because just random impacts would get boring) that can threaten to vent your base and expose you to the elements.  Cold is killer, and if the game tracks any amount of atmosphere then there's a big problem too!  I just don't want a moonbase to be PERFECTLY secure, gotta have a little excitement, even if it's not simple monsters.

Underground moonbases would be quite more secure.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: December 06, 2013, 02:17:04 am »

Actualy, does anyone have tips for messing around with the tier two boss? I'm in steel armour and getting stomped on in about two hits.
You'll rage when you realize how easy it actually is.

Build a wall as high as you can reach, holding shift to make it a single block thick.  He can't cross it.  If you stand about 3 blocks up from his position, you can hit him optimally with any given melee weapon.

Best way to do this: Start with flat.  Move west of the beam-down spot.  Place robot.  Place wall towards the east, so that you cannot get back to the beam-down.  Activate robot, and be killed immediately.  When you beam down again, it should be on the other side of the wall and you'll be safe at the spawn point and able to start attacking.

Haha! That's awesome, I was honestly thinking that it'd need some grand strat.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: December 06, 2013, 02:24:01 am »

TIL: Cave-ins are freaking insane.

What?! You can cave in? Oh god!
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension