Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944857 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #3720 on: December 05, 2013, 09:09:05 am »

I don't mind the style of combat, I can tell it takes from SNES action games or something (unlike Terraria where weapons just went in a semicircle), but it really screams "this needs COMBOS!". Or at least 3 or 4 swing animations for each weapon type.

I made the shortsword thinking I could use the flashlight and fight at the same time, but the truth is, the swing arc of one-handed swords make it impossible to hit enemies without getting hit 33% of the time, unlike bigger swords.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: December 05, 2013, 09:13:37 am »

been farming lvl 1 worlds because they give the same amount of pixels as the higher lvl ones

This is not true. I'm on a level 14 world, and most monsters drop between 50 and 100 pixels each as opposed to 10-25 on a level 1 world.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3722 on: December 05, 2013, 09:28:18 am »

I don't mind the style of combat, I can tell it takes from SNES action games or something (unlike Terraria where weapons just went in a semicircle), but it really screams "this needs COMBOS!". Or at least 3 or 4 swing animations for each weapon type.

I made the shortsword thinking I could use the flashlight and fight at the same time, but the truth is, the swing arc of one-handed swords make it impossible to hit enemies without getting hit 33% of the time, unlike bigger swords.

Yeah, 1 handed swords were definitely made to be used with a shield/another one handed sword to blitz things down. Although if you're nimble you can usually jab things to death while kiting them around.

Also worth noting is you can knock them back a lot easier with a 1 hander by hitting them in mid air. When you start doing this regularly you will feel like a badass.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: December 05, 2013, 09:34:57 am »

I finally found a drawback to using projectile-spewing melee weapons.

Turns out there was an avian merchant just off screen who began freaking out when a glowing green bone slammed into her.

At least they don't go all shotgun hobo like Spelunky shopkeepers.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: December 05, 2013, 09:38:20 am »

Hmmm Think I found a bug...
Can someone else check this...
Pile a lot more then you can store into the ships storage chest.
You will lose those items and a crash happens... RIGHT?
I lost one item because of this bug, but it did not crash the game. So, guys, don't put more than 16 items in the chests, they'll make them disappear. :/

Anyone else spend 30 minutes sitting still playing Canon in D minor with an electric guitar wielding birdman?

This is my exact definition of awesome!
I just found an ocarina. Now to find the partition/midi things for the OoT ocarina songs. :D
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: December 05, 2013, 09:43:51 am »

so shields are a thing apparently they literally block all dmg coming at you. been farming lvl 1 worlds because they give the same amount of pixels as the higher lvl ones
This, so much. I've been using a sword&board combo with a shield and steel shortsword, and it's amazing. It really adds to the combat when you have to time your strikes for the moments when different enemies can't hit you.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: December 05, 2013, 09:45:50 am »

So.. who was it who said they had a dedicated server up?
If it's still up, should I start a new character?

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: December 05, 2013, 09:51:27 am »

does food give any benefit? buffs?stats?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: December 05, 2013, 09:52:24 am »

So uhm.. How do you even start Starbound? I managed to crash Windows Task Manager trying to "launch Starbound".

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: December 05, 2013, 09:56:19 am »

So uhm.. How do you even start Starbound? I managed to crash Windows Task Manager trying to "launch Starbound".

Wait a long time. If you feel like you've waited long enough, wait longer! It is super slow to load for a lot of people.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3730 on: December 05, 2013, 09:57:00 am »

squeeeeeeeeeeeee

Playing on a 2 person server is pretty fun!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: December 05, 2013, 09:58:45 am »

does food give any benefit? buffs?stats?

Yes. I've tried battered bananas and banana bread so far. Both gave a regen boost, while the banana bread added some flame particle effect and a small flame icon in the status area in the upper left to my character as well. I assume that keeps you warm, but I have no clue as I was standing next to the campfire in my house.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: December 05, 2013, 10:00:34 am »

so shields are a thing apparently they literally block all dmg coming at you. been farming lvl 1 worlds because they give the same amount of pixels as the higher lvl ones
This, so much. I've been using a sword&board combo with a shield and steel shortsword, and it's amazing. It really adds to the combat when you have to time your strikes for the moments when different enemies can't hit you.
It turns out this is an excellent way to fight ranged enemies. Those gunners in this USCM prison are suddenly like, 50 times easier. Although if their buddies are ganging up on you, still tricky. :P

fakedit: Also, nice way to deal with em? Get their attention, then hide behind a door and close it. They walk up to it to open it and then sstab!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:02:37 am by Twi »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: December 05, 2013, 10:21:25 am »

Ok, fun fact: I tried to copy my save data from home to work, so I backed up my "player" folder, but made the mistake of ignoring the "universe" folder.

This is what was copied:

- the player inventory
- the ship
- the current planet

This was NOT copied:

- codex info (from books I stole from an avian village)
- quest info (game looks at your inventory for the quest stuff, you don't actually need to smelt, just have an iron bar, etc), it reset and told me one by one that I had completed all missions, except the beacon one
- my starting (home) planet. Or any of the planets in the same star system for that matter. Only the one I was orbiting was preserved, the rest of the system was apparently rerolled.

I think I'm going to make a new character after deleting/backing up both folders.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: December 05, 2013, 10:28:04 am »

Where do you even find/make a shield?
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 565