Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944768 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #3690 on: December 05, 2013, 05:19:48 am »

The game is surprisingly intensive for pixel art.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3691 on: December 05, 2013, 05:23:33 am »

Is it living up to the hype, people? XD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: December 05, 2013, 05:26:29 am »

Nope, but did anybody expect it to?
Still pretty fun, and it is just a beta. I think a lot could be gained from just some balance issues. Right now rock takes waaaaaaaaaay too long to mine. It just sucks.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: December 05, 2013, 05:32:38 am »

I'll say it is for me so far. Enjoying the hell out of it. Only got five hours with it last night on account of it releasing sometime around 11pm. It really depends on who you are as far as living up to the hype goes.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: December 05, 2013, 05:36:21 am »

All I really wanted from starbound was Terraria++, so I'd say It's living up to what I hoped it was for me.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: December 05, 2013, 05:37:00 am »

Two words:

Pink Shogoths.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: December 05, 2013, 05:40:58 am »

Nope, but did anybody expect it to?
Still pretty fun, and it is just a beta. I think a lot could be gained from just some balance issues. Right now rock takes waaaaaaaaaay too long to mine. It just sucks.

This isn't Terraria. I wasn't at the hype wave at all, only got excited to see it's launching, so I'm not biased when I say that the game is a must have.

Even if people don't wanna join the beta - some quirks, some crashes, some nasty rare bugs like inventory wiping (happened to my gf, luckly only lost 15 minutes of gameplay), completely dull AI and unbalanced gameplay.
Still It's A LOT better then I expected both from the game and from the beta, since I wasn't hyped. I actually expected a 20%~40% better and bigger Terraria. And it's a very different game.

Seriously, NPC towns? Lore? Towns that has a very initial AI in, but still shows the desire of devs to implement activity cycles for NPCs? (farming, socializing, etc). All my friends are in love with this.
And their lightning system is beautiful  :P

It's very awesome, but currently has the problems that they alerted everyone it would have.

I'm still in Alpha Sector and this is my last pic of my ship before I go to sleep:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spammy spam of items.

EDIT - Fixed Derped Image.
EDIT2 - Forgot to mention the beautiful graphics, animations and soundtrack, but I guess someone must have mentioned all that already.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:02:25 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: December 05, 2013, 05:52:47 am »

I found a massive Avian village, on a server a few buds set up. I just slammed ten hours into this game, and my god, it is addicting. Sleep now, because I was up all night.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: December 05, 2013, 06:06:19 am »

No.

The concept of different planets with diverse biomes is good, but the basics are very much like Terraria, except better or worse in places. If you're someone who's grown tired of Terraria's gameplay, I would not recommend it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: December 05, 2013, 06:14:18 am »

No.

The concept of different planets with diverse biomes is good, but the basics are very much like Terraria, except better or worse in places. If you're someone who's grown tired of Terraria's gameplay, I would not recommend it.

There are such vast differences between the two that I can't help but outright dismiss this post.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: December 05, 2013, 06:15:37 am »

People will always find reasons to complain.
I myself understand that this game has a few issues which will be worked out.
It may be kind of similar to Terraria at first glance, but yet so different.
But yes, I agree with Virtz, if you are tired of Terraria's way of harvesting resources, Starbound might not exactly be what you want at the moment.
For me tough, it's about what I would expect from a beta.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:18:07 am by Ultimuh »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: December 05, 2013, 06:29:29 am »

Gold is so goddamn rare argh!!!!

I literally have 16x more silver than I have gold.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: December 05, 2013, 06:30:56 am »

I played this for an hour or so last night. I absolutely love it! Explored a dungeon full of lava and electric fencess :D

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: December 05, 2013, 06:32:20 am »

No.

There are such vast differences between the two that I can't help but outright dismiss this post.
Which is why you've decided to answer it?

To me this is Terraria 2.0. From the shitty knockback combat, through pestering enemies spawning off-screen, to the boss-summoning beacons. These are staples of Terraria that have carried over here and define the basic gameplay. There's improvements to these basics here and there, like the foreground/background interaction (as well as some really shitty changes like the crafting relying on upgrades and requiring currency), but they're not that vast. They're like the differences between Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: December 05, 2013, 06:35:01 am »

Well I'm analyzing it as a beta and as I beta I like it a lot.
I believe people are jumping to final product judgement (look at their forums, people are talking about UNBALANCED GAMEPLAY). Yet I agree that the core Terraria "climb the tier and kill the bosses to unlock the next tiers" thing is still there. And that's why I didn't enjoy Terraria until a whole lot of updates later, because the game felt like a complete uninteresting grind from me on 1.0.

Yet I see a beta that overtakes a finished product (Terraria) easily, with frameworks set down and obvious expansions points set and ready for implementation. And of course lot's of fixing needed.  :P

Even though the grindy core is still there, the amount of content, lore, exploration and discovery makes me want to ninja-grind so I can explore more. It's not like Terraria that nothing was waiting for you.
Great moments like just exploring towns with friends that have characters of different races - I spent almost 20 minutes just going through a town with an Avian and an Apex, and we would investigate stuff and try to make sense of the whatever lore the investigation would present.

I don't see an awesome game yet. I see an awesome frame of a game, and when it's finished it has ridiculous potential - every game I love can be fitted in there.

The game won't live to it's hype yet because it's not finished. But when it is, I believe it can, and that makes me happy and surprised.

I really don't understand what's going on with "disappointed" people (posts on steam forums and chucklefish forums), and people spamming their forums with crap.

-
EDIT:
-snip
Yes those are points that I would like they change completely, but doesn't make me discard the game.
I believe they can and should change it, since those are things they share with Terraria. And this can be so much better than Terraria.
But it's not definetely just "Terraria 2.0", unless you're judging the whole work only by listing what it got from Terraria.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:41:43 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 565