Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945190 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #3630 on: December 04, 2013, 11:52:06 pm »

Huh, races get specific crops? I wonder if more food recipes get revealed as you find more crops, or if each race can only eat a particular thing.
Can't confirm the first part, but I made a burger for an avian, and he didn't seem to choke to death on it, so I think it's fair to say eating food isn't race specific.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: December 04, 2013, 11:53:38 pm »

Huh, races get specific crops? I wonder if more food recipes get revealed as you find more crops, or if each race can only eat a particular thing.
Can't confirm the first part, but I made a burger for an avian, and he didn't seem to choke to death on it, so I think it's fair to say eating food isn't race specific.
Probably not right now, but future updates may change that.  In specific, chili peppers description states "dangerous to anyone except humans".  Also to be fair, many birds are predatory, or at least omnivores.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: December 04, 2013, 11:55:37 pm »

I started with weird berries that are meant to be poisonous to non-aquatic races...
Anyway, I'm wondering what race and weapons everybody has at their anvil?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: December 05, 2013, 12:12:21 am »

The BIGGEST disapointment I felt playing this game just happened.

I found robot trees... I was like "I totally have to chop them down" so I lifted my might ax and!!!!

Unrefined wood... WHAT A GYP!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: December 05, 2013, 12:13:44 am »

WEIRD tip for anyone having problems:
If you're locked at 30 fps or lower for no apparent reason, navigate your folders, open your steam folder, find Starbound, and the win32 folder (if on windows).  Right click Starbound.exe and select 'properties' then edit the 'compatibility' to always 'run this program as administrator'.  Do the same for launcher.exe located in the nearby folder.

For whatever reason, this cleared the enormous stuttering FPS problem I was having.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: December 05, 2013, 12:18:55 am »

The BIGGEST disapointment I felt playing this game just happened.

I found robot trees... I was like "I totally have to chop them down" so I lifted my might ax and!!!!

Unrefined wood... WHAT A GYP!
Chill, I need to look into json files this weekend, it should be moddable! :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: December 05, 2013, 12:19:02 am »

Patch time. anyone got notes?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: December 05, 2013, 12:20:05 am »

Re: Crops: It looks like there either is or will be race specific food tolerances. The eyeball plants say "possibly poisonous to anything not florean", ferex. I ate one (as a fishdude) and nothing happened, but I guess sometime tomorrow I'll down a few more (I've got like a hundred and something in the inventory. First planet had eyeball trees.) and see if I get poisoned...

Also crop seed drop rate almost certainly seems crop specific. Wheat seems to come along pretty quick for extra seed, racial stuff less so.

Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out how to make bread, yet. I mean, not that it really matters because I die too often to get hungry, and I've got a couple dozen cooked meat and several dozen edible plants, but...

... lastly, I got fed up with the music surprisingly quickly. Not sure what to think about that. But! The ambient sounds and whatnot are kinda' excellent. I think the game may be more enjoyable with the music noise cut off.

Also the pixel count is apparently stored as 4 byte data, for those memory hackers out there. I got seriously fed up with the pixel requirement for crafting, incredibly quickly.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:25:13 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: December 05, 2013, 12:20:07 am »

Wow the game realy gets nuts once you pick up the molten core. I don't even know what to start with.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: December 05, 2013, 12:24:01 am »

Bought this game, since there seemed to still be hype after the beta was released. :P

Can't say I'm disappointed. Went underground, and found the sand/gravel falling mechanics are AMAZING. I dug through a thick sand layer into a cavern below... and fell with a crapton of sand that was left, struggling to not get buried alive and climb up the sliding edges, while fending off the critters in the cavern. Awesome.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: December 05, 2013, 12:26:29 am »

Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out how to make bread, yet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: OH MY GOD I CAN DUEL WIELD! Why didn't I think of this before? I need another 1h sword.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: December 05, 2013, 12:33:53 am »

Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out how to make bread, yet.

To expand on this

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: December 05, 2013, 12:40:39 am »

Ok... I am on a planet made of sand... As in the entire damn thing, not just patches. Inside is just huge caverns where cave ins have happened, and sand...

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: December 05, 2013, 12:50:33 am »

Ok... I am on a planet made of sand... As in the entire damn thing, not just patches. Inside is just huge caverns where cave ins have happened, and sand...

sand has its ups and downs  :P

on one side you can gather resources really fast as they just tumble towards you with no need of mining

on the other had FPS death is just a pain >_<

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3644 on: December 05, 2013, 12:51:56 am »

Time to disassemble a planet and never worry about glass again.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 565