Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945013 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2880 on: November 05, 2013, 07:43:16 pm »

No, they'll just stop posting anything and take as long or longer to put out a final product which will be the only release ever. They'll make some money and move on, leaving whatever they release to the dogs. "DDOS Buyers are obviously nutty so let's milk them for what they are worth and go do something else. Exit, stage left."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: November 05, 2013, 11:05:12 pm »

Am I the only one that thinks that interfering with the development process is a really bad idea?

People don't DDoS because they have to do it to someone, or they'd be doing it to Fox News and Westboro and PETA, y'know, people that the internet actually generally hates. Who's looking at things wrong?

Ohh you mean to three companies that could more then withstand, investigate, and prosecute anyone who did do a DDoS on them?

Heck one organization I can think of in particular (but won't mention for the sake of taste) actually has an entire division that do nothing but cyber harassment to protect their interests.

Heck Fox news could have a DDoS on them right now and you wouldn't notice because they have powerful servers that can take the strain.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:09:47 pm by Neonivek »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: November 07, 2013, 06:13:14 pm »

Soooo..... Morphballs huh? And you are even going to call it a morphball. Really?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: November 07, 2013, 06:30:32 pm »

Soooo..... Morphballs huh? And you are even going to call it a morphball. Really?

i was surprised to see that too, i hope they dont get sued by Nintendo..... e.e

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: November 07, 2013, 06:54:48 pm »

Nintendo sue over possible IP claims? Noooo, never! Not good old Nintendo, they are too cute and fluffy!

Right? Right?

hold me im scared

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: November 07, 2013, 08:36:33 pm »

Unless there's a patent filed I doubt it's possible.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2886 on: November 07, 2013, 10:38:49 pm »

It would be a copyright issue, not patent, and you don't need to file copyrights.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: November 08, 2013, 01:56:34 am »

It would be a copyright issue, not patent, and you don't need to file copyrights.
I don't think a morphball qualifies for Copyright. Copyright CANNOT apply to gameplay mechanics ever. I mean I only have like one course on copyright from film school but my understanding is that there is no way for Copyright to apply here. It's either Patent or nothing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: November 08, 2013, 02:13:13 am »

Yeah, copyright applies to unique characters, settings, etc. Mechanics, whether real-life or virtual, have to be patented.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: November 08, 2013, 07:01:29 pm »

Actually, copyright applies to unique fixed expression (written text, a picture, a recorded song) NOT characters or settings. Not that it stops some people from trying, or flexing their legal muscle (maybe they won't win, but they'll try to bankrupt you anyway, and the courts will help them).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: November 08, 2013, 07:08:08 pm »

Actually, copyright applies to unique fixed expression (written text, a picture, a recorded song) NOT characters or settings. Not that it stops some people from trying, or flexing their legal muscle (maybe they won't win, but they'll try to bankrupt you anyway, and the courts will help them).

But! you can copyright the image and text of a character or setting.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2891 on: November 08, 2013, 07:58:06 pm »

Tell that to the people who have tried to make fan art or such and sell it.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: November 08, 2013, 08:02:46 pm »

That's trademark. Trademark is not Copyright.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: November 08, 2013, 09:09:02 pm »

People, please don't start this conversation. This is the Starbound thread in Other Games, not the legal advice thread in Life Advice.* Keep the discussion within sight of the rails rather than going completely offtopic.

*thread may or may not exist i don't frequent life advice
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:22:35 am by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2894 on: November 08, 2013, 09:16:34 pm »

That's trademark. Trademark is not Copyright.
Trademarks only apply to names, and even then only to names of products or services. A story, setting, or character is neither of those, so trademarks cannot apply.

Fan art that uses the same characters or setting of another is considered a "derivative work", and is definitely covered under copyright.

But yes, this is kind of silly to talk about. We'll just end it with that Chucklefish may or may not but probably won't be sued under some IP law.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:21:25 pm by ECrownofFire »
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 565