Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944932 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2865 on: November 04, 2013, 09:36:41 am »

Pre-orders have that special quality in them that allow players to buy the game based on their imagination and expectations rather on actual quality. not saying starbound wont deliver, just saying that its not necessarily taking away potential money from them. also need considering is that their pre-orders sit at an average of 22$ a copy.

If they keep showing life signs and making community updates, prolonging the release can very well do them more good than harm. up to a certain point of course (a point they are very near to).

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:39:00 am by burningpet »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: November 04, 2013, 11:10:54 am »

You evidently DON'T know my plans.

They don't involve planetary destruction.

They involve peace and love, right?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: November 04, 2013, 12:21:04 pm »

No. It involves finding as large a group/guild/corporation (if they appear) as I can, getting to the top of it, and trying to crush it.

If they appear? They already exist; there's an entire subforum for them in the Starbound forums :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: November 04, 2013, 02:25:00 pm »

Pre-orders have that special quality in them that allow players to buy the game based on their imagination and expectations rather on actual quality. not saying starbound wont deliver, just saying that its not necessarily taking away potential money from them. also need considering is that their pre-orders sit at an average of 22$ a copy.

If they keep showing life signs and making community updates, prolonging the release can very well do them more good than harm. up to a certain point of course (a point they are very near to).

If the IRC channels I frequent are any indication, people have hyped Starbound to the point where it cannot deliver on their expectations. I suspect that it will turn out to be at a least a decent game, but the community will erupt into a firestorm upon its release.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: November 04, 2013, 03:54:28 pm »

If the IRC channels I frequent are any indication, people have hyped Starbound to the point where it cannot deliver on their expectations. I suspect that it will turn out to be at a least a decent game, but the community will erupt into a firestorm upon its release.

It'll be hilarious, I can't wait.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2870 on: November 04, 2013, 04:03:43 pm »

I just tell myself it's going to be Terraria in Space. That calms my hype down, while still assuring that I'm interested and excited for it. Anything that reaches beyond the scope of Terraria in Space will be a pleasant surprise.

And honestly if folks haven't learned to chill their hype train in recent years it deserves to get burned. I just hope no innocent bystanders get caught in the fire too.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:23 pm »

i think they have a good game they just need to get the beta out and stop delaying from there they can relax and get on with the business of fine tuning it for final realise

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2872 on: November 04, 2013, 06:47:31 pm »

You see this kind of nonsense with every single game release out there. People get hyped, realize that the game isn't being released RIGHT NOW, and either lose hype or get angry. Later when the game releases, depending on who you ask it's either the game of the year every year or it's literally Hitler. After a while people calm down and realize it's just good/average/bad.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: November 04, 2013, 11:17:43 pm »

You see this kind of nonsense with every single game release out there. People get hyped, realize that the game isn't being released RIGHT NOW, and either lose hype or get angry. Later when the game releases, depending on who you ask it's either the game of the year every year or it's literally Hitler. After a while people calm down and realize it's just good/average/bad.

the gaming community at its finest........

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: November 04, 2013, 11:27:37 pm »

You left out the part where some people gripe and speak badly of the hype :D

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: November 05, 2013, 12:20:57 am »

To my understanding there hasn't been a DDoS yet, so at least the community isn't minecraft level of dumb.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: November 05, 2013, 12:28:41 am »

To my understanding there hasn't been a DDoS yet, so at least the community isn't minecraft level of dumb.
Yet.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: November 05, 2013, 01:42:24 am »

It is human nature afterall.

Being hyped takes a lot of energy, it is relying on taking up your headspace.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: November 05, 2013, 09:13:19 am »

Never understood this.

'IN ORDER TO GET THE GAME RELEASED WE'LL MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO RELEASE THE GAME!'

That is because you are looking at things wrong.

You know how for the longest time people through Prisoners would attack certain types of inmates out of "moral outrage" of their crimes?

Well as we found out much later, they just wanted to beat someone up and chose their most justified target.

People who do DDoS are just jerks who want to do it to someone, and just chose who they feel is the target they are most justified in doing so.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: November 05, 2013, 07:36:51 pm »

then again a ddos or a hack saying we are putting beta out might get them to pull their finger out and get on with it instead of ongoing feature creep justifying continous delays in beta
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 565