Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944462 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2775 on: October 20, 2013, 04:23:24 am »

Was it Reus?
I hear a lot of bad wrap about that game but I enjoyed it.

Never got Reus, but that game... to me at least, fulfilled its purpose. It was more of a toy then a game.

So it wouldn't hit that for me. Then again for all I know Reus has a website somewhere where they list a big bunch of features they were planning if people bought it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:25:28 am by Neonivek »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: October 20, 2013, 04:40:15 am »

Reus was awesome. The devs didn't overpromise anything, and delivered on what they did say they were going to do. It was a very good example of how to show off your game without hyping the shit out of everybody.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: October 20, 2013, 04:52:33 am »

Anyhow no it was Cubeworld, one of my sympathy purchases >_<

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: October 20, 2013, 04:57:14 am »

Never tried Cubeworld, looked too much like a watered down WoW that somebody had given an extra helping of kawaii brewed over the fires of pixel nostalgia.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: October 20, 2013, 04:59:44 am »

Never tried Cubeworld, looked too much like a watered down WoW that somebody had given an extra helping of kawaii brewed over the fires of pixel nostalgia.

Yeah it incredibly dull... And it was.

But as you can imagine going to the Cubeworld thread and going "This looks like it is going to be dull and combat seems to be mostly a spamfest" is going to make a lot of people mad. TODAY none of them would be, but back then. Which is one of the weird things about sympathy purchases... So far if I trash a game (and by trash I mean, point out obvious flaws that are obvious and hurt people's feelings because the game isn't allowed to have flaws) and buy it because I feel guilty about trashing it, it is guaranteed to be bad/rip-off. It so far is 100% accurate.

Luckly I bought Starbound before it became a sympathy purchase so it CAN be good... and I was interested in terraria for a while, but it sure took its time to go from "mediocre addiction game" to "Approaching good addiction game".
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:03:25 am by Neonivek »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: October 20, 2013, 05:06:14 am »

Seriously, as far as terraria goes I think it has just been getting worse since the wall of flesh update.
I have this thing about power creep to try and make your game look better than it is. I don't like it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: October 20, 2013, 05:14:36 am »

Seriously, as far as terraria goes I think it has just been getting worse since the wall of flesh update.
I have this thing about power creep to try and make your game look better than it is. I don't like it.

Well the power creep is terrible... but I think the improvement the update gave was that it allowed an out of the incredibly terrible non-stop grinding that makes Terraria such a bore.

If it had some genuinely difficult bosses that had some variety that didn't require a lot of grinding to fight... It would be pretty decent.

In fact I am very worried that Starbound is also going to fall into the same trend of requiring insanely circuitous methods of obtaining things through hours of grinding.

HECK I already know that in order to get to tier 2 you have to grind for an excessive amount of time...

And while I can appreciate grinding to give my actions worth, when the game IS grinding then my rewards seem pointless.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: October 20, 2013, 05:34:08 am »

Yea, I feel unless Starbound gives us something to work towards things will get pretty dull pretty fast.
It is like that bit from 2001: A Space Odyssey when they are flashing through all the different colored landscapes near the end. Sure, initially it is cool and interesting, but after a few minutes you stop caring that it is all a unique shape and color, without form it all just looks the same. As great as it is to have all these different types of blocks to build out of I don't think it will carry the game that far.

The two most popular solutions from similar games seems to be engaging combat or creative engineering. Either cool bosses to fight or the ability to build things in the style of the Industrial Craft mod for minecraft. Either challenge or complexity, or both, because I'm sorry but cosmetics alone does not suffice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: October 20, 2013, 01:17:10 pm »

Another aspect of Starbound that is quickly becoming apparent is its strong focus on set dressing without any real reason to explore or collect it.

I saw a picture of a sewer and I was thinking about all the things I could create (Items not buildings) with what was in that image along... until I came to my senses and realized... not much.

I probably can't even melt down the pipes for desperately needed metal or use the sewer sludge for sludge armor or a sludge weapon.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: October 20, 2013, 02:59:06 pm »

What really?I actually planned to get that game at some point, is the game finished, and is it that bad?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: October 20, 2013, 03:14:04 pm »

What really?I actually planned to get that game at some point, is the game finished, and is it that bad?

It's pretty boring. If you have Minecraft, take Hack Slash Mine for a whirl. Exaggerate the annoying bits, add kawaii animu, and you've got Cubeworld.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: October 20, 2013, 03:16:38 pm »

It's pretty boring. If you have Minecraft, take Hack Slash Mine for a whirl. Exaggerate the annoying bits, add kawaii animu, and you've got Cubeworld.

Is it still in development or its dropped?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: October 20, 2013, 03:32:59 pm »

I think the release was an alpha release, so that would point at further development. The release however was an absolute mess with ddos attacks, a lot of angry people etc etc. The creator of the game seems to have gone missing or is silent since release, thus leading to even more angry people..

I've never bought or played the game, (I only buy games now after they've proven themselves, been disapointed too often) but I was following this project with great interest. It certainly looked like the creator put a lot of effort and time into the project, so it is quite sad that it went so horribly wrong.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: October 24, 2013, 09:22:48 pm »

A single fleeting hope... Could it be?

Please tell me we get to relive one of the best boss fights on the NES.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: October 24, 2013, 09:23:18 pm »

I want a 6-legger.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 565