Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945341 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2685 on: September 07, 2013, 11:38:59 pm »

Desert Battle 2, Neo.

E: It is overall pretty heavy on the ambiance, though. I'm kinda' hoping we (preorder folks, or whatever) get an updated/finished soundtrack eventually. I'd think there's, like, more tracks by now. Maybe some polish on stuff that's already there, too.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:44:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: September 07, 2013, 11:52:18 pm »

Desert Battle 2 indeed. Oddly enough it goes from sounding western to somehow sounding like China.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: September 08, 2013, 12:21:27 am »

All the race's soundtracks have been shown in streams or leaked for Youtube. Updating the soundtrack is one of the (many, many) things they've promised and not done yet. I'm hoping it actually gets updated post-release.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: September 08, 2013, 12:23:09 am »

I was actually a bit worried that bringing up this topic would get me nothing but

"NO Neonivek, You are delusional. Clearly this soundtrack is epic and your sow ears just cannot appreciate the melodic tunes"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: September 08, 2013, 12:31:27 am »

... you've forgotten the initial reaction to the soundtrack, a ways back, haven't you? Or just missed it, I guess. Somewhere back around post 1270 or thereabouts, if searching is accurate. Least one of them. Somewhere back in April.

The music's quality, yeah -- it's solid stuff -- but much of it isn't really attention grabbing. Few earwigs, not very... engaging, in and of itself. Outside of a few particular tracks, which. Well. Suppose the hope from me is that they indicate that the artist is obviously capable of pulling it off and will have done so to a greater degree by the time the thing actually rolls to the public.

Would be nice!
Ask not!
Ask!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: September 08, 2013, 11:30:31 am »

Yep, gotta agree with Frumple. Some tracks were cool (Forest? Desert?) but most of it's just background noise.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: September 08, 2013, 12:29:22 pm »

The tracks don't need to be attention-grabbing or anything, unless it's the battle/boss themes. While exploring you just want some cool, relaxing music.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: September 08, 2013, 12:52:19 pm »

*waggles hand* Sorta'? Problem is when "cool and relaxing" translates into "completely forgettable". It's like... Morrowind and stuff. I could still remember some of the general travel themes and whatnot a few days later. Terraria's tunes actually stuck in my head -- I play that for a while and a few days later I'll still be getting the underground theme or whatev' intruding from time to time. Legend of Zelda's travel music stuff was pretty good about that, too, for certain areas. Just as examples.

Most of the stuff on the starbound soundtrack, even after listening through it a few times sequentially... I could remember basically nothing. Like, I'd go back to the start and, despite having listened to the track not very long before, I literally could not remember listening to it. That's an extreme anomaly for me -- I'm fairly capable of recognizing at least having listened to most of OCRemix's music, even the stuff I've only listened through once, just as an example.

... beyond that, I'd kinda' disagree. While exploring, I want music that emphasizes that exploration. If cool and relaxing is what's appropriate for that, then... good. Sometimes it's not. Personally, at least, oftentimes it's not. I want music that engages on some level or no music at all, m'self, and instead a strong portfolio of atmospheric sounds. Wind, water, rain, movement, dirt/rock shifting, etc. Basically, if I'm not feeling any different with or without the music playing, then... why is it playing, y'know?

Sound just for sound's sake -- which, t'me, is what unengaging background noise is -- is, hrm. Call it aesthetically unpleasing, yeah? It's an odd man out. Doesn't fit with the rest of the experience. And... often, m'self, that actually causes me to disengage somewhat from the game itself, because it's, like. Not integrated. It doesn't surround the other aspects, thread through them and enhance. So it grates. There's reasons I play most games muted, really :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: September 08, 2013, 12:53:48 pm »

Like the Pokémon themes? It is all exploration and yet its music is often not ambiance.

Heck I think everyone remembers the Pallet Town Theme.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:00:37 pm by Neonivek »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: September 08, 2013, 03:16:38 pm »

deleted for being in the wrong thread
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:02:40 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: September 08, 2013, 03:20:29 pm »

I think you just posted in the wrong thread.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: September 08, 2013, 04:02:05 pm »

Oops. Thanks mate. Deleted previous post, will move to Starmade thread
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: September 08, 2013, 11:54:13 pm »

I think the music is pretty good. There are some tracks I really like a lot, but I also think something's missing. So far. Because none of us have had a chance to play the game. There's a connection to the game when it comes to soundtracks. Once you've actually played the game, then it's like you have more of a "connection" to it, or something like that. I'm not sure how to explain exactly what I mean, so I hope that makes sense.  ???

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: September 09, 2013, 12:03:18 am »

I think the music is pretty good. There are some tracks I really like a lot, but I also think something's missing. So far. Because none of us have had a chance to play the game. There's a connection to the game when it comes to soundtracks. Once you've actually played the game, then it's like you have more of a "connection" to it, or something like that. I'm not sure how to explain exactly what I mean, so I hope that makes sense.  ???

That pretty much sums it up. I like the music as-is, but until I go through a forest biome with the forest theme it won't really have much association with me.

I also thought Terraria's music was too cartoony and low-quality to really be enjoyable outside the game, which is something that the tracks for SB have avoided so far.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: September 09, 2013, 03:59:50 am »

Pretty much this. There's soundtracks that work well alone (like Hotline Miami), and there's ones that only really work in-game (like Fallout or Planescape Torment). Not that the latter are worse, they're just usually more focused on setting tone than being listenable, or they just play well with what's happening in-game at the time. Though there's also the possibility of a soundtrack not really working anywhere, but that's hard to tell until you hear it in-game with the context it was meant for.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 565