Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944523 times)

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2655 on: September 06, 2013, 03:04:27 am »

So do i.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: September 06, 2013, 03:06:44 am »

My understanding was that they were planning to have... well for lack of a better description, something like a TV series, except with a game. Every week, you would have a little update that would give you the next few "main story" quests, and you would be free to follow or not follow them at all, and do whatever in the meantime, or after completing them. They would have that "main storyline" as a separate thing from the main game, purchased separately like you would purchase a, say, cartoon series on something like Netflix.

Kind of like Half-Life 2 tells you a big overarching story in several episodes, except in this case the episodes come out once a week, and you only pay once for the whole series.

I can sort of kind of understand the premise, but I'm not too sure that sort of medium blending can actually work. It's certainly possible to do but would be quite hard to do right.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:08:23 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: September 06, 2013, 03:11:42 am »

At most Sean I'd accept it as sort of a "sneak peak" sort of thing with the content of the storylines being prominent in their servers, that you pay for, as a way to pay for those servers. Then a few months after they are ended they are released for free.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: September 06, 2013, 03:21:58 am »

Not servers, I mean actual main storyline. Quests, plainly speaking. Multiplayer or singleplayer. Think of it as... I don't know, DLC? A DLC that's patched with new quest content weekly.

I mean I, for one, am not terribly interested in the main quest. Or "A" main quest. Not enough to actually buy it, at any rate. But as a means of telling a story, I suppose it's no worse a concept than 8-bit-graphics or stick-figure webcomics.

Besides, it could even be free, and this could just be their way of delivering the main storyline.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: September 06, 2013, 03:23:15 am »

Yes Servers because only THEIR servers can instigate these storylines.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: September 06, 2013, 03:27:03 am »

...Why? Nobody's going to be acting or anything, unless you mean the update servers. (I thought Steam would take care of that... although I suppose Steam isn't the only distribution method they'll have, I suppose.)

It's just that every, say, Saturday morning, the game would auto-update, and if you've got the main quest completed till that point, you suddenly get a new quest to keep going along the story, likely several quests, to keep you occupied for a few hours maybe. Then you could go to the various forums and discuss the unfolding story with others, like you would with a webcomic or a TV series.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: September 06, 2013, 03:28:47 am »

...Why?

Because that is ENTIRELY the point of the season pass. To give them money to run the official servers. With the Events as the enticement.

Transient DLC that only THEIR servers get access to.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: September 06, 2013, 03:37:50 am »

No, I mean, what's the point? If all they do is add quests, why load up their own servers with players by hosting these events themselves and limiting the number of people who'd care to buy this "season pass", when they can just sneak it into a weekly update and let everyone play the thing, with minimal load of their own server and minimal expenditure on their part, along with more income from more people who will agree to buy a cheap DLC that doesn't require them to do anything besides keep the auto-update on?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: September 06, 2013, 03:42:19 am »

No, I mean, what's the point? If all they do is add quests, why load up their own servers with players by hosting these events themselves and limiting the number of people who'd care to buy this "season pass", when they can just sneak it into a weekly update and let everyone play the thing, with minimal load of their own server and minimal expenditure on their part, along with more income from more people who will agree to buy a cheap DLC that doesn't require them to do anything besides keep the auto-update on?

My PERSONAL belief? They want to run these events but they cannot justify the cost. So they are basically passing the cost of their own personal projects onto the consumers.

Assuming of course that this is true.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2664 on: September 06, 2013, 04:20:35 am »

Heeeey, I've actually spent the last three days at work re-reading Schlock Mercenary. Woo!

Spoiler: OT (click to show/hide)

pay to access official servers for that story event.

Source? If I'm understanding it right, that seems like a dumb idea. Everyone gets content for free and can run servers for free, but you get the option to pay to play on a server that... well has the free content you can freely host?
Its possible the official servers will have bigger quality than most of free ones. In fact, i would say you have to pay for any server with over 50 persons, wether it is monthly or to be able to do stuff.
The hosts have to pay the dedicated servers.

Also, as far as i know, there is the ten chapters main storyline, and then there is DLC which will probably be some kind of side/post story.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:22:30 am by Sarzael »
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: September 06, 2013, 04:29:05 am »

Whelp the rip off factor shows itself and I instantly regret my purchase.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: September 06, 2013, 04:47:18 am »

Oh just wait till you play the game before you decide to regret anything.
You always think negatively of this game no matter what updates you see. :p

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2667 on: September 06, 2013, 04:48:19 am »

Rip off? What?
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: September 06, 2013, 04:59:07 am »

I will personally refund anyone who promises never to play it. Consider it a community service.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: September 06, 2013, 05:07:29 am »

I will personally refund anyone who promises never to play it. Consider it a community service.

Well I am not going to make any pledge like that unless I KNOW these rumors are true anyhow. Besides I'd probably just give away my key anyhow.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 565