Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944698 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2595 on: August 31, 2013, 07:35:44 am »

Some answers from a dev!
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/feedback-for-the-developers.28584/page-89#post-1141261

3 tiers for the initial beta

Kudos to him for taking one for the team and answering all that. Ever the cynic, the whole thing kinda comes off as "yes, yes, we're sorry it's taking so long, whatever" but at least someone acknowledged the community's concerns.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: August 31, 2013, 08:46:39 am »

Configureable keys aren't in yet.
This entirely justifies the fact that it isn't released yet, as an azerty user. Any game without configureable keys automatically gets a 2/5. :/

E: Great mother of fuck is that a 89-page rant thread about developers and the game not being out yet? Holy mother of fucking shit.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:53:36 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: August 31, 2013, 09:05:51 am »

Like we've all known for a long time: worse than the minecraft forums. Seriously, if it still has progress-deleting crashes, it isn't fucking ready. I especially love all the whining over ancillary stuff like Q&A threads and bigger daily updates(!) when they're also complaining about beta not being out. No understanding whatsoever, from what I see.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: August 31, 2013, 10:19:28 am »

This entirely justifies the fact that it isn't released yet, as an azerty user. Any game without configureable keys automatically gets a 2/5. :/

Is azerty a completely different keyboard layout or just a different control scheme for games?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: August 31, 2013, 10:33:54 am »

Seriously, if it still has progress-deleting crashes, it isn't fucking ready.

I agree with you, but I read what Omni said as since they're in pre-beta they can make sweeping changes that alter the way the game itself handles things, and those break savegame compatibility. Once beta's out, the time of grand tweaks is essentially over, or they have one or two more until release.

Honestly I know I've been a detractor for a while but his responses kinda put me more at ease, as they make sense and I could see fundamental structural problems that occur with new tiered mechanics as warranting changes on that scale.

I also think hype is working against them at this point (statement of obvious). They've billed things as "done" which almost certainly aren't, so people expect more and more things going in when they are genuinely still working to deliver what was promised as base.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: August 31, 2013, 10:46:55 am »

Is azerty a completely different keyboard layout or just a different control scheme for games?
It's a completely different keyboard layout.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2601 on: August 31, 2013, 11:11:21 am »

Like we've all known for a long time: worse than the minecraft forums. Seriously, if it still has progress-deleting crashes, it isn't fucking ready. I especially love all the whining over ancillary stuff like Q&A threads and bigger daily updates(!) when they're also complaining about beta not being out. No understanding whatsoever, from what I see.
Trust me, this is recent. Forums werent like this a few months ago. It looks like if all the trolls were asleep until the stream, and then they woke up.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2602 on: August 31, 2013, 11:15:49 am »

Wow, a bug that deletes the server and all player profiles xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2603 on: August 31, 2013, 11:45:28 am »

Wow, a bug that deletes the server and all player profiles xD
It isnt a bug, but every time they update, the planets change and the earlier universe is corrupted. And at this stage they update like 9/10 times per day.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2604 on: August 31, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »

Quote from: Omni
The i49/Yogcast demo had a game breaking bug in it that was discovered 5 minutes before we started the demo. It only shows up using certain build options, but those are the build options we're going to have to use for the beta. It has to do with strong authentication being turned off, and then a user leaving a multiplayer session.

In Linux it works fine, because I wrote the code and tested it on Linux while flying to i49, because I needed to bypass mandatory authentication to work without internet on the plane.*

In Windows it crashes the server, corrupts the world file, and kicks everyone off without saving their character file.
I assume this is what Skyrunner is referring to.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: August 31, 2013, 02:29:07 pm »

and pushing simultaneously Alt + Caps will switch your keyboard to a Qwerty one. :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: August 31, 2013, 02:33:12 pm »

and pushing simultaneously Alt + Caps will switch your keyboard to a Qwerty one. :)
You do not know how many times that has fucked me over while playing games. Accidently pressing Alt + Caps while NOT KNOWING THAT IT DOES THAT AND NOT KNOWING HOW TO REVERT IT sucks. I finally found out what did that so I disabled it.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2607 on: August 31, 2013, 02:53:50 pm »

That's what you get for being French.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: August 31, 2013, 03:08:07 pm »

That's what you get for being French.

Or Belgian.

Miauw62: The alt+shift combination can be set to work on a per window basis, so switching keyboards only affects the game you're currently playing. It's extremely useful for flash games and the like where key settings might be either non-existent or too bothersome to set up for 10 minutes of playing.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: August 31, 2013, 04:31:06 pm »

I think it actually was on a per-window basis. I just change it manually whenever I need it nowadays.

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 565