Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944948 times)

Maxono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2535 on: August 25, 2013, 09:16:01 am »

So... anyone got a link to a video of said streams?
http://www.twitch.tv/multiplay/b/450635227
Starts at 0:58

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: August 25, 2013, 09:55:02 am »

<snip>

And before anyone says "The stuff is there, they just haven't posted it for ___________ reason" - look, there's no barriers to truly showing progress nowadays. Creating a quality youtube video of gameplay takes trivial amounts of time and can be widely distributed without cost. It's even a small revenue stream possibility. If it's already been announced that it's been done - there is no reason not to show it to the public.
There is a very big reason not to show it to the public, at least in my eyes.

A game like Terraria, what was its primary draw? The building aspect was but a part of it, as was PvP, but in addition to that you had the challenge of survival, and the excitement of exploration, all together. The problem was that when the continuous support and expansion idea fizzled, and most, even new, players already knew the best and easiest ways to play and what the best gear is and how to most quickly obtain it, neither the challenge nor the excitement remained anymore. It was all down to PvP and showing off constructions.

Starbound is a lot like Terraria, except it puts a lot more weight on the exploration, and a little more on the survival. The randomly generated content, the many procedurally generated worlds, plus a whole lot of handcrafted items and encounters, and a seemingly much longer path to "ultimate" tier - it all extends the life of the game. Starbound has good reason to do it this way - because besides this scope and scale, it barely offers anything that Terraria doesn't. It banks its gameplay length and replayability on the mass of content it has to show the players.

Honestly, I wish they would stop it with these streams and showing off the game, and just got to working on it. I don't want to see the best that this game has to offer second-hand.

I very much agree with you Sean. They have no intention of showing much more than the "tutorial" tier and have made that clear often. Also, not all o the tiers are of equal depth of content. Some are much deeper than the tutorial while others are less. I expect that Starbound will have at least 2.5 times the replay value as Terraria due to exploration and deeper random generation of planets. Obviously there is a little loss with building having some smaller focus.

I am happy they are limiting what they show us, but the amount of the first tier that they are showing. If they show any more of it, it's going to be painfully annoying to have to slog through it since we have seen it so much.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: August 25, 2013, 11:00:33 am »

I'm not really clear on why we shouldn't be shown things we already "know" to exist. On the site they've put up images of 2 mechs, a starbase, countless biomes, lots of guns, vanity items, the food system, the pet slots, the ore progression, some tiered armor, some mid-tier dungeons, part of the intro cinematics, upgraded ships, etc. etc.

What's going to ruin the game forever by showing off all this stuff they've already showed off?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: August 25, 2013, 11:09:53 am »

Everything else? It's the difference between a teaser video and a walktrough.

E: I found this, btw.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:20:49 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: August 25, 2013, 11:15:47 am »

I have watched none of the videos, read none of the release blogs, and in general not kept up with anything related to the game. So far, I have not been given a reason not to get the game once it comes out and reviews give their views on it.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: August 25, 2013, 01:03:21 pm »

I am not worried and so far haven't seen any reason to doubt my pre-ordering of it, maybe except this little "quote":

"The entire team is supposedly VERY upset that one team member dropped the ball and didn't finish an important piece of code on time and a bunch of stuff now can't be shown off."

I don't know why, but it really rubs me the wrong way.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: August 25, 2013, 02:04:59 pm »

I am not worried and so far haven't seen any reason to doubt my pre-ordering of it, maybe except this little "quote":

"The entire team is supposedly VERY upset that one team member dropped the ball and didn't finish an important piece of code on time and a bunch of stuff now can't be shown off."

It's like having a manager yell at an employee in front of customers. You do not do this!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: August 25, 2013, 02:18:21 pm »

Er, what? Yelling in front of the customers? My impression was that this is a rumor passed to hemminjay who has contacts on the inside. Not remotely the same thing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:22:19 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: August 25, 2013, 02:19:09 pm »

This
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2544 on: August 25, 2013, 02:26:10 pm »

I had the impression it was more a case of an employee complaining to a friend (Hemmingjay) about a coworker doing something that affected the whole team rather than a manager calling out an employee in front of the managers.

Hemmingjay is our inside man as far as knowing some of what's beneath the surface and he's just telling us what he's been told. If you want to be upset with someone for revealing that an employee isn't perfect, I don't think the managers are to blame here.

And I'm pretty sure that there's not a company in the world that has to deal with this sort of stuff every once in a while. It doesn't look good, but we should hold back blind judgement since we have no clue what the exact circumstances were.

As far as I can tell it's being dealt with. The whole blame/hype game is ridiculous. I highly doubt a single person not finishing a line of code caused the entire Beta to be pushed as far back as it has. If you want something to blame for that, the single problem is part of a much broader and complex web of things, one of them being the management deciding that the game isn't ready yet.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: August 25, 2013, 03:59:27 pm »

Let me clarifify as much as I can considering it's third party hearsay....One team member failed to finish a bit of code that was essential to tying in a bunch of new stuff, so that it wasn't ready for the i49 event. There was a good bit more stuff that is "done" but couldn't be shown because of that "late" submission. Most of the team works remotely and deadlines are not really hard set. The team was temporarily upset that their rush work was wasted. I doubt it's still upsetting to anyone other than the person who screwed up.

I have no doubts about my pre-order. I will have something playable by the end of the year and I haven't heard anything other than the Sept-November window. 

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: August 25, 2013, 05:01:21 pm »

Well, I treat the info from Hemmingjay as sort of a "behind the scenes feature" on a DVD. Interesting, but I don't base my opinion of the game on it. Internal politics are universal, so there's no worries about that on my end. I don't regret my pre-order in the least. I will only regret it if the game turns out to literally not work on my system, ever. I don't think that will happen. In short, I've been sold on the idea.

And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: August 25, 2013, 05:05:33 pm »

In response to your spoiler, yes they are totally unprofessional and they do everything in a sort of juvenile haphazzard way. They ignore almost all professional advice to be honest it still works for them.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: August 25, 2013, 05:09:01 pm »

double post

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: August 25, 2013, 05:10:53 pm »

In response to your spoiler, yes they are totally unprofessional and they do everything in a sort of juvenile haphazzard way. They ignore almost all professional advice to be honest it still works for them.

Well it works because they never break any of the cardinal rules of development nor of PR.

After you have the fundamentals down you can stretch things as far as they will go. A few teams I can think of were seemingly run by children.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 565