Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944846 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2520 on: August 25, 2013, 12:11:48 am »

I feel that Notch was to blame for that whole Minecon shitstorm. He went to Twitter and started to stir up shit about the Yogscast. I wish he had just acted like an adult and dealt with it instead of whining to his fans. He had no business bringing that out into the public.

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: August 25, 2013, 12:35:59 am »

My skepticalometer is high, pinging the red. I may skip this game entirely now.

I mean aside from using someone as terrible as Yogscast to present your game to the world, the stream was terrible. No forethought went into this. No planning.

If you cannot show me why I should buy your game, it is unlikely I will buy your game.

Maybe it didn't go well, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the Yogscast. If you skip this game, then you're missing out. But that's your loss, I guess, and entirely up to you.  ???

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: August 25, 2013, 01:02:42 am »

Maybe it didn't go well, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the Yogscast. If you skip this game, then you're missing out. But that's your loss, I guess, and entirely up to you.  ???

It's not even about Yogscast, really. It's the utter lack of planning and foresight from Chucklefish at what should have been a great opportunity to show off and hype. If they care so little about the sale, who knows how much they'll gloss over in development? I don't personally believe they have, but take it objectively... There really wasn't much work put into the presentation. Any presentation...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: August 25, 2013, 01:14:16 am »

Can we judge this when it's released and not before it's released, please?

..Well, that's what I got from the recent pages though :/ I think we're getting too nitpicky here, but that's just me as I didn't see those links and most recent previews.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: August 25, 2013, 01:37:31 am »

So it's their firstish time organizing an event and they had no clue what they were doing. How does that relate to the quality of the game they're making. If I stutter when making speeches in front of the crowd, that means I'm terrible at baking?

That's called supposition. An uncertain belief. Judging something on supposition is a good way to dig yourself into a hole. Because then you'll subconsciously want to validate that supposition in any way possible, and it will sour the whole thing for you. Their ability or whatnot in a Yogcast event has little to nothing to do with how the actual game will be.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:40:49 am by Kaitol »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: August 25, 2013, 01:44:00 am »

I think that they didn't need to "show off and hype". The hype machine for this game has run so high and for so long that it's about time for it to start getting wound down. Considering that they still don't have much in the way of a coherent play progression, and the game is still crash-prone, showing a bunch of inept goofballs playing their typical run of the game that they barely saw before is pretty much what the doctor ordered. It's silly, it's hilarious to watch (sometimes), and I think that despite everything they still managed to show the already known game off pretty well.

You keep wanting to see more of the game, but don't you think it'd be better if you actually saw it when playing it yourself, and not have it shown to you on a stream?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: August 25, 2013, 01:48:33 am »

Yeah it is the thing about hype, you can hurt it simply by shooting expectations high without any payoff for a long time.

Yet because this game is in pre-orders it is pretty much absolutely safe.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: August 25, 2013, 02:19:00 am »

I think the thing I'm most interested about in this game is the capability to mod it. One of the holy grails of Minecraft modding was to get multi-block (ships, dirigibles, tanks, ect.) entities to work, something that has been mostly lost since Minecraft 1.0 came out, and depending on how spaceship construction is going to pan out, something that can be extended in this game to a great extent.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: August 25, 2013, 02:41:52 am »

You keep wanting to see more of the game, but don't you think it'd be better if you actually saw it when playing it yourself, and not have it shown to you on a stream?

Not particularly. They don't need to sell me. They need to sell people who aren't sold yet, which makes Chucklefish more money, which nets me more content in the end. Even so, yeah I would like to see SOMEthing that has at least already been shown in screenshots or whatever on their site... that's actually in the game and working. At this point there's so much that's been discussed but what we do see crashes or is limited or buggy or unbalanced that I am starting to wonder what's actually behind the magic curtain that's so awesome even a hint of it would spoil the entire rest of the game.

EDIT: Actually... now that I think about it the implication that they made enough money already to afford to completely phone in the first major press release really disturbs me.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:46:10 am by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

MrPseeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: August 25, 2013, 02:50:00 am »

Even if Starbound isn't going to come out in a very long time, there is still going to be the new Terraria 1.2 update to make the wait more manageable.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: August 25, 2013, 02:50:41 am »

I diddnt think the spaceships were movable as an entire physics entity. I have not been following the game all too closely though. But yeah, looking forward to modding too.

I think part of the problem the devs have is a lack of concrete information on the game, leading to peoples imagination going crazy over the vague bits of information released and effectively letting alot of people build up the hype for themselves.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: August 25, 2013, 08:21:15 am »

I'm skeptical as balls about indie developers now. I let my hype get the better of me when I preordered this game. Too many people go far too easy on indie developers just because they're "indie". The general thought seems to be "oh but guys, they're only indie!" and suddenly they can get away with murder.

PC gamers are a really, really fickle lot. Chattox basically has the same sentiments as I currently do towards indie devs. This is not a rant towards any particular studio, but the well-funded ones lately.

When we finally had real alternatives to big game studios' offerings, we were quick to dismiss the AAA console ports. We jumped on the indie bandwagon, and for a while - everything indie was gold. A lot of mediocre games were propelled to staggering heights just on the wave of being developed by an "indie studio". The community went all in with supporting the indies - they served as financiers through paid alphas, marketing departments through guerrilla marketing through forums/youtube, documentation through wikis, and QA/QC through constant feedback to the devs. If anything, indie studios should be able to make games cheaper and more efficiently now and provide maximum return on the $.

For some reason, this hasn't happened. Indie studios make huge amounts of money in preorders/kickstarters, and give very little in return for the money. But , you say, there's a game going to come out eventually... isn't that enough? No. I am under the expectation that if I buy something earlier, that gives the studio more resources up front, which means the game should have additional content or a quicker release date.

Let's take Starbound for example. They've made 1.7 million off preorders. If they paid out everyone that has been working on it full time for 1.5 years $100,000, they'd likely still have enough money to employ several more programmers, an artist, and the office space to house them for a year, provided it was not paid all upfront. And now they've released a lot more information, and guess what? No evidence of either. No release to the public, promised features still not in game with no timeline to be implemented, and no announcements of hiring.

And before anyone says "The stuff is there, they just haven't posted it for ___________ reason" - look, there's no barriers to truly showing progress nowadays. Creating a quality youtube video of gameplay takes trivial amounts of time and can be widely distributed without cost. It's even a small revenue stream possibility. If it's already been announced that it's been done - there is no reason not to show it to the public.

(edited some wording -not fully awake when originally typed )
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:41:32 am by Mullet Master »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: August 25, 2013, 08:23:23 am »

The preorders were hosted on their site, Kickstarter has nothing to do with it.

And they have showed streams of them playing the game. I'll patiently wait for this game, because better late than never.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: August 25, 2013, 08:57:22 am »

<snip>

And before anyone says "The stuff is there, they just haven't posted it for ___________ reason" - look, there's no barriers to truly showing progress nowadays. Creating a quality youtube video of gameplay takes trivial amounts of time and can be widely distributed without cost. It's even a small revenue stream possibility. If it's already been announced that it's been done - there is no reason not to show it to the public.
There is a very big reason not to show it to the public, at least in my eyes.

A game like Terraria, what was its primary draw? The building aspect was but a part of it, as was PvP, but in addition to that you had the challenge of survival, and the excitement of exploration, all together. The problem was that when the continuous support and expansion idea fizzled, and most, even new, players already knew the best and easiest ways to play and what the best gear is and how to most quickly obtain it, neither the challenge nor the excitement remained anymore. It was all down to PvP and showing off constructions.

Starbound is a lot like Terraria, except it puts a lot more weight on the exploration, and a little more on the survival. The randomly generated content, the many procedurally generated worlds, plus a whole lot of handcrafted items and encounters, and a seemingly much longer path to "ultimate" tier - it all extends the life of the game. Starbound has good reason to do it this way - because besides this scope and scale, it barely offers anything that Terraria doesn't. It banks its gameplay length and replayability on the mass of content it has to show the players.

Honestly, I wish they would stop it with these streams and showing off the game, and just got to working on it. I don't want to see the best that this game has to offer second-hand.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: August 25, 2013, 09:02:45 am »

So... anyone got a link to a video of said streams?
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 565