Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944882 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2505 on: August 24, 2013, 10:17:11 am »

At this point, they can't do anything right. Everyone will criticize whatever they release
^^
This is true for everything ever.

I have a sneaking suspicion that what's in the demo build is all that's complete and working in the game at this point. There's literally nothing beyond tier 1 that's reasonably implemented or remotely balanced and that's the big secret. /conspiracytheory

I am starting to think that minecraft has done quite a bit to permanently damage gaming. It singlehandedly redefined how people see "beta" from "complete but buggy" to "incomplete, buggy, and we'll finish it whenever. Or not. meh." And it was new enough in popular perception to get away with it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 24, 2013, 10:25:56 am »

Gods, I had to stop watching that stream. I can't stand those guys. The only one of them who had actually played the game before seemed to be the only one who had any sense or intelligence in him. The others just constantly fumbled around, destroyed what he was trying to do (in order to, you know, show us some more interesting gameplay than a bunch of hapless idiots fumbling around) and just uuugghhh PUT THE FURNACE BACK YOU F***ING IDIOT--

...Sorry. I just really, really don't like those dudes. I've never watched Yogscast before and now I'll never be tempted to in future. Super frustrating.
You are not alone. They're top-tier shittubers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 24, 2013, 10:32:34 am »

I feel as if the maxim "A watched pot never boils" applies here.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: August 24, 2013, 10:56:54 am »

I must say, they really screwed up by setting up an unequivocal Q&A and a deadline. But...

I feel as if the maxim "A watched pot never boils" applies here.

Agreed. It'll come out eventually. Hopefully by early 2014, or else it'll be X Rebirth (Egosoft kept pushing the release date until they eventually said TBA for that game) all over again.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: August 24, 2013, 11:13:57 am »

The entire team is supposedly VERY upset that one team member dropped the ball and didn't finish an important piece of code on time and a bunch of stuff now can't be shown off.  There is a lot of tuff beyond tier one that is finished but the first "Boss" is the only one done, so there is no point in showing more than that. Furthermore, they have said they don't want to show of more than tier one before release because they don't want to spoil the game. This came from my second and less reliable source as my primary is at the show and unavailable to chat. I dare say that person has become an actual friend and I may try to steal them from Chuckelfish if I start a game company.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: August 24, 2013, 11:20:24 am »

If game devs of indie studios suddenly start dissapearing, we know Hemmingjay is gonna make a game. :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Maxono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: August 24, 2013, 11:35:06 am »

There might be another stream tonight if Tiy can get some hardware in his hands

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: August 24, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »

Not to single you out, but do people really think that's going to happen at this point? I know there have been many crowdfunding scams and failures, but that's almost impossible here. There's been too much work put into this game. They have a deal with Sony. We've seen too much. There's no way it won't come out... eventually!  :o I don't have time to watch the stream, but I'll be looking forward to watching the recording at some point!  :D

I'm skeptical as balls about indie developers now. I let my hype get the better of me when I preordered this game. Too many people go far too easy on indie developers just because they're "indie". The general thought seems to be "oh but guys, they're only indie!" and suddenly they can get away with murder. They could delay the release for a very long time and there would still be people saying no one can get mad, because they're not a big faceless corporation. The cynical side of me sees indie devs taking far too much advantage of this.

But yeah, I'm cynical as fuck so disregard xD
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: August 24, 2013, 01:04:19 pm »

I believe just letting them finish it and add onto it would be better than holding onto it like it'll disappear. It'll come out in time, and worrying about it or hinging most hope or concern on it at the moment would not lead to fruition.

Just let it brew, then you get stew.

...Though I was kind of disappointed at some animations. Too..err, bulky?

Maxono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 24, 2013, 01:43:47 pm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: August 24, 2013, 02:14:29 pm »

Though I was kind of disappointed at some animations. Too..err, bulky?

It has more to do with how paper doll the character is so to speak. They are basically one incredibly curved back with legs and hands.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 24, 2013, 11:21:43 pm »

Ah, alright so I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the recorded streams, at least in part.
*** LONG RANT INCOMING! ***

Spoiler: Lack of Preparation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lack of Press (click to show/hide)

I get the feeling that these people were tossed out with a half-assed demo, no plan, no outline, no press, and told to wing it. That's remarkably unfortunate, because I believe the product is worth far, far more than the treatment it's gotten this weekend. I doubt any of this is something that Hemmingjay hasn't told them already but since I think some of the team do read this thread, have some free advice:

1) Have a script or at bare minimum an outline with your selling points and pitch.
2) Have pre-made characters setup at places you want to show off, instead of hoping to find an X-biome planet off-the-cuff when playing live, especially if you couldn't show off that planet with lack of prep anyway.
3) have someone post an itinerary or stream schedule on your site. You have fans who aren't there there are still interested, and being left in the dark sucks.
4) Have some cool stuff to show off. The starting bits are interesting and all, but there have been videos of rocket launchers, laser cannons, sniper rifles, racial melee weapons, tons of armor and vanity sets... Show them off. Differentiate yourself. This weekend would have been a great time to discuss survival elements to a Minecraft audience.... didn't happen.

Blah, this turned into a text wall. I'm just going to end it here.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: August 24, 2013, 11:27:51 pm »

How are yogscast still relevant after that tussle with Notch about how much they were acting like spoiled brats demanding for a free ride to Minecraft-con or whatever and Notch actually managed to lose his cool?

It's the same dudes AFAIK?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: August 24, 2013, 11:30:39 pm »

How are yogscast still relevant after that tussle with Notch about how much they were acting like spoiled brats demanding for a free ride to Minecraft-con or whatever and Notch actually managed to lose his cool?

It's the same dudes AFAIK?

Ohh that rings a bell. Was that when... didn't they volunteer to work for free but then demand to get paid later, AFTER shit-talking the con? I hadn't made the connection.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2519 on: August 24, 2013, 11:32:43 pm »

My skepticalometer is high, pinging the red. I may skip this game entirely now.

I mean aside from using someone as terrible as Yogscast to present your game to the world, the stream was terrible. No forethought went into this. No planning.

If you cannot show me why I should buy your game, it is unlikely I will buy your game.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 565