Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944750 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2430 on: August 20, 2013, 04:46:48 pm »

Leaving aside ease of modification, wouldn't the lack of a modding community generally be more indicative of a lack of interest?

For a game like this? No.
How...succinct.  For a game like this, where modding is largely going to be dominated by the addition of new content (items, furniture, worldgen templates) without actually altering the underlying structure or play of the game itself, it seems like modding is only likely to continue for as long as interest persists in how well the game plays, and thus extend interest beyond that which would be contained only in the core content.  I cannot understand your reasoning, particularly as you have given very little to indicate what reasoning underlies your statement.  All you have stated is that modding is the death-knell of games, when evidence suggests that games that have extensive modding capabilities are more likely to have lifespans (as in communities of individuals still playing or otherwise actively involved in those games) exceeding even that of their developers, in some cases. 

Ah, and jhxmt brings up a good point - what is a "living" or "dead" game in your eyes?  A difference in definition may well be the cause of confusion. 

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: August 20, 2013, 05:08:19 pm »

The way i think he see's it is being alive = activly supported by the original devloper. dead = devs doesnt care anyore about that title.

Keeping that perspective in view, yes sometime when that happens, the devloper will only release bugfixes, but some other game that are open to modding from the get go still receive heavy support from the devs, Space Pirate and Zombies is a good decent example for this and the very best example i can find relate to that would be the X series, even if the game was open to modding from the get go ( no steam, but in-game script editor ), they kept providing content, patches, adding new commands to the script editor to help the community.

As for the workshop only thing, i dont know, i never really used it to be honest, the only time i did in fact was with torchlight 2, all other games are modded/patched by hand sine im an old school modder. Workshop is simply a mod database tool providing ease of use to the player.

Hell Prison architect is in alpha and sports the workshop, are you saying the game is dead? because it is not and its being heavily worked on.

This discussion is a little bit useless in my book because there will always be example for both side of the argument, games are like ppl, you cant tell the personality of that guy just by one action.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: August 20, 2013, 05:17:48 pm »

I expect another $1 million in sales starting in 3 days and ending in the release by October/November.

What happens in 3 days?
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: August 20, 2013, 05:19:51 pm »

something-something 3 thingadiddly. Live public demo of game at insomnia(?) game festival(?). Probably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2434 on: August 20, 2013, 06:21:26 pm »

Counterpoint to the above modding stuff: Dwarf Fortress.

You know, that game you're on the official forums for?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: August 20, 2013, 06:21:49 pm »

something-something 3 thingadiddly. Live public demo of game at insomnia(?) game festival(?). Probably.

And what a lot of people are hoping will be the announcement of the release date.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: August 20, 2013, 06:22:38 pm »

Counterpoint to the above modding stuff: Dwarf Fortress.

You know, that game you're on the official forums for?

I think the argument was that a dead game is one not held up by its devs and solely reliant on its modding community, so that isn't relevant...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: August 20, 2013, 06:24:37 pm »

And what a lot of people are hoping will be the announcement of the release date.

I have 2 sources who have both told me that the release "window" will definitely be announced during IGF. It's the first time I have been given a definitive word on anything.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: August 20, 2013, 06:25:36 pm »

I have 2 sources who have both told me that the release "window" will definitely be announced during IGF. It's the first time I have been given a definitive word on anything.

Awesome! Thanks for the input.

Just found an interesting post by Molly, not really related to the gameplay or anything, but rather to giving copies of the game to popular YouTube idols, and how that angers the community.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/dont-give-early-access-to-big-youtubers.25576/page-5#post-998542
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:31:33 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: August 20, 2013, 07:05:00 pm »

Molly is great and often under-appreciated.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: August 20, 2013, 07:30:05 pm »

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/dont-give-early-access-to-big-youtubers.25576/page-5#post-998542

Ugh. Glad to see I'm still not missing anything by avoiding their forums. I'm okay with people being inexperienced or naive, but repeating the same thing over and over while ignoring real-world reasoning is... bad. Molly must be the patron saint of internet patience.

Glad to hear the release window announcement is coming up, I've been debating whether or not to pre-order X Rebirth, hold off for Starbound or the next Terraria patch, or holiday sale. More information will no doubt confuse me further. Huzzah!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:32 pm »

Molly showed up here, didn't she? Molly is definitely amazing, we love you Molly!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: August 20, 2013, 08:02:24 pm »

I am on The sims 3 (and technically 4) forums.

They are practically experiencing world peace over at the starbound forums.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: August 20, 2013, 09:33:49 pm »

Molly showed up here, didn't she? Molly is definitely amazing, we love you Molly!
WHERE IS SHE WHERE IS THE MURDERER
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: August 20, 2013, 10:13:50 pm »

WHERE IS SHE WHERE IS THE MURDERER
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=summary;u=95110
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 565