Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945257 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2415 on: August 19, 2013, 03:02:05 pm »

Yeah, it would have made more sense as a conspiracy theory before all the streams started.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: August 19, 2013, 03:04:38 pm »

... or maybe there IS NO GAME, and the developers are all in remote beachfront villas sipping on mojitos and laughing at all of us from atop copious piles of pre-order money.

This makes me curious...what would happen if this were to be true? A class action lawsuit? That'd be quite a scam, what, over a million dollars? Two million?
1.6 is the current numbers on the website.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: August 19, 2013, 03:07:00 pm »

I recall that they passed $1 million back when all we had to go on were screenshots and hype.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: August 19, 2013, 03:10:22 pm »

... pretty sure they had a few (admittedly sparse) videos out before preorders were even possible. So a bit more than just screenshots and hype, yes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2419 on: August 19, 2013, 03:24:59 pm »

But mostly hype.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: August 19, 2013, 03:31:20 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: August 20, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »

I expect another $1 million in sales starting in 3 days and ending in the release by October/November. I was told today that Tiers 2 and 3 are almost 100% as well, but were not added to the i49 build for IGF because they didn't have enough time to test. The game is more than 80% complete(everything is hooked up now) and it's going to be all about adding final content and balancing everything for the next month and then a full court press on bug squashing until release.

There is a lot of internal talk about how to deal with all of the other stuff they want to add to the game. Things like having everything added for free with a 4 person permanent team until momey runs out, or selling cheap but significant dlc, all the way to the crazy idea of a subscription of $1 a month for extra content have been discussed. It seems that they mostly want to do the first option as well as have Steam workshop access, so that the game lives on forever. They also have two ideas for projects after this one, but they won't start until late 2014 or early 2015. They are devoted to making this the GOTY.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: August 20, 2013, 03:22:16 pm »

Steam workshop access

Yeah I am going to say this now... that is a non-solution.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: August 20, 2013, 04:16:05 pm »

Steam workshop access

A non-solution to which problem?  Seems like a fairly good solution to me to the problem of "how to allow people to modify the game and thus increase longevity".
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: August 20, 2013, 04:19:25 pm »

Steam workshop access

A non-solution to which problem?  Seems like a fairly good solution to me to the problem of "how to allow people to modify the game and thus increase longevity".

Whenever that happens, the game has stagnated. It is pretty much the sign that the game has died.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: August 20, 2013, 04:35:21 pm »

Steam workshop access

Whenever that happens, the game has stagnated. It is pretty much the sign that the game has died.

Really?  Skyrim?  Both Fallouts?  Portal 2?  Monaco?  All dead?

I recall a time before Steam Workshop when mod database sites were a huge and popular thing for the additional experience and longevity that they added to people's favourite games.  Hell, some of the older ones are still going strong.  Is this a sign of game death?  Strikes me as a sign of a game that gives fans the ability to keep it alive, rather than simply dwindling away once the developers stop being able to add to it.

I'm not saying it's the be-all, end-all, but to say that modding support (which, ultimately, is all Steam Workshop is) is a death knell for a game seems a little odd, to me.

Edit: spelling/grammar.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: August 20, 2013, 04:36:37 pm »

Let me see

Skyrim, and one of the fallouts are the living ones. Skyrim of course with no credit going to steam workshop.

Is this a sign of game death?

It is a sign that the game no longer holds people's interest.

Putting the weight onto the steam community is just a sign that a game died. As someone who has experienced "The best of the best" the vast majority of modding is done without the vision of how it affects the whole game.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:38:37 pm by Neonivek »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: August 20, 2013, 04:38:40 pm »

Let me see

Skyrim, and one of the fallouts are the living ones. Skyrim of course with no credit going to steam workshop.

Err, I'm confused.  Leaving aside ease of modification, wouldn't the lack of a modding community generally be more indicative of a lack of interest?  People don't mod games they hate, after all. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: August 20, 2013, 04:39:45 pm »

Leaving aside ease of modification, wouldn't the lack of a modding community generally be more indicative of a lack of interest?

For a game like this? No.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: August 20, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »

Let me see

Putting the weight onto the steam community is just a sign that a game died. As someone who has experienced "The best of the best" the vast majority of modding is done without the vision of how it affects the whole game.

Speaking as someone who plays all of the games I listed (including Freelancer, which was the link I provided), I'm curious as to your definition of what constitutes a 'living' game.

And as Culise said, I'm intrigued as to how having the potential for a modding community is more indicative of a lack of interest than  not having the potential for a modding community - for Starbound or for any other game.  At worst, it's irrelevant to the interest level - at best, it's a huge avenue for interest to be expressed, surely?

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 565