Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944772 times)

Maxono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2385 on: August 17, 2013, 08:53:19 pm »

They are streaming some gameplay
http://www.twitch.tv/chucklefishlive

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: August 17, 2013, 09:10:00 pm »

lol, stream's down because Tiy's internet can't handle hosting and streaming at the same time.

Bartwe: my superpowers do not include getting tiy a better isp
Bartwe: he gots to do that himself

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: August 17, 2013, 09:20:48 pm »

Monster generator apparently happily produces mutant bulbasaurs. Before, they were just might-as-well be pokemon. Now, they're basically-are pokemon.

I can't find myself complaining.

E: Also capable of creating stuff what, at least at a distance, looks pretty terrifying. Those yellow faced green things were kinda' creepy lookin'.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:27:00 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maxono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: August 18, 2013, 08:37:43 am »

So for those who missed the stream here is a video of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR9Ze7Zf07Y
Most of the stream was him mining randomly, but at 1:50 he started to show off a dungeon.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: August 18, 2013, 09:58:21 am »

That was awesome, thanks for posting the link here.

I've never really actually WATCHED any gameplay, so a lot of it was new.

One of the things I love most is the dungeon-y flavour text though.
Everybody!

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: August 18, 2013, 10:22:11 am »

i think the crafting screen could have some indicator on how many items you can actually make of something... i.e. if you have 100 wooden logs and it costs 5 to make planks you just see what materials you need to make something with the tooltip in the list on the left, but it doesnt show anywhere that you can make 20 in total.
maybe a little number near the craft button or under the right info screen could be added to show how many you can make in total with the materials you have at the moment.

and i think the inventory feels a bit "very big" right now with 4x10 rows of the normal inventory and 4x10 extra rows for materials that already stack to 1000 (?) per slot.
and chests are compared to that just 4x4.
and it doesnt seem that i.e. each enemy has the loottable to drop 10 different items (i.e. feathers,eyes,scales,feet,wings,meat,fur or for robots metal,wires,screws,bolts,weapons etc like some other games have.) no idea if you later get a ton of drops so it will fill up pretty quickly with all sorts of loot... but i doubt you i.e. find a random weapon on every enemy or so...
so do we realy need such a big inventory that can hold items "to build 10 towns" where a chest can just hold a fraction of stuff... (well they are just wooden chests, i guess higher tech chests hold more items.. i.e. the ship wall chest does i think)
i.e. the terraria inventory was usually filled with all sorts of random items and especially materials that stack to 200 (?) so you actually had to store some stuff in chests and prepare before doing long mining and go down with a more empty inventory it you want to come out with more loot.

i saw that there are slots for "accessory on the back" (probably "deco" capes and wings?) i wonder if there are any backpacks... and if you have one equipped it could expand your inventory... i.e. by default 1-2 (?) rows of normal and material inventory space and a backpack adds 1-3 rows (or ir could add a number of slots instead of full rows) to it (maybe low tech ones add less slots).
well just an idea... i probably get yelled at anyways for thinking that the inventory is "too big", it just feels like you could carry "everything" and have no need to store anything as you probably never really run out of space, except when you find like 30 random weapons or so...

and the furnace doesnt require coal or wood to smelt stuff (it is so advanced it keeps burning forever) ? well i guess the torches or the campfire dont run out either (they could go from "a lot of light" (100% light) to "dim" (20% light) in a game day worth of time and could be "refilled" with wood like you repair a pickaxe with ore, as in clicking it with wood in the hand? think of the fireplace in "dont starve"), there is always higher tech stuff that wouldnt run out of "power" anyways. i.e. if it runs on electricity it could require some wires 10 tiles near it or so... and lamps (high tech torches) later wouldnt run out of power. (and yes i think torches light up "too much"... especially underground)
but it is not like you are swimming in wood anyways once you cut down a few trees to throw that into a smelter to smelt iron or to throw on a campfire to cook... maybe later "smelters/cooking places" require electricity and even higher tech ones could "smelt for free"?
i guess it would be too "annoying" if you had to "refill" torches or the campfire to cook something... *shrugs*

but it also could create new situations: i.e. a abandoned mine just barely lit up with torches that are burning very low and light up more again after you used your torch or wood on them. (well you dont need to use coal to create new torches, just wood to light them up again)

or a abandoned dark factory with no power.. and once you found the generator and filled it with coal (or build a new one and wired it up) it powers up the wires and all the lamps slowly flicker on again and the machines start to rumble and build robots to swarm and terraform over the whole planet (a la terraria corruption)..........   AAAHHH it is not turning off again... too many robots... !!! SEND HELP !!!

(quest update: you hear from a human traveler that a planet is overrun by terraforming robots...)
(or: gratulations, you just doomed this planet... will you run away or undo what you started? (both choices might have consequences later))
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:24:55 am by Nelia Hawk »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2391 on: August 18, 2013, 10:26:29 am »

I agree overall with those ideas.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: August 18, 2013, 10:55:32 am »

Hmm.  I joined the kickstarter way back when. But does anyone know of a rough ETA?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: August 18, 2013, 10:55:59 am »

When it's done.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: August 18, 2013, 12:24:14 pm »

When it's done.

Thanks to Duke Nukem, whenever a dev quotes this as their release window I immediately assume vaporware xD

Their current release window for beta is "2013".
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: August 18, 2013, 12:44:04 pm »

You know, I look at those streams and I can't help but wonder.

With all that inventory space...

Silver ore can't be so worthless that you would spend it on repairing your stone pickaxe rather than carrying a few spares.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: August 18, 2013, 12:48:06 pm »

You know, I look at those streams and I can't help but wonder.

With all that inventory space...

Silver ore can't be so worthless that you would spend it on repairing your stone pickaxe rather than carrying a few spares.

Well they are running a demo (demonstration), obviously the silver is far more useful allowing it to run smoothly then in the pocket of a character they are probably going to delete immediately afterwards.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: August 18, 2013, 12:57:31 pm »

Well they are running a demo (demonstration), obviously the silver is far more useful allowing it to run smoothly then in the pocket of a character they are probably going to delete immediately afterwards.

This. With gameplay demos, the need for it all to go smoothly completely overrides the desire to actually play properly. Sometimes to the point of the demo player looking retarded a.k.a. every Assassins Creed live gameplay demo ever.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: August 18, 2013, 01:21:38 pm »

A demo is one thing. The last stream was basically them just bughunting and streaming at the same time. Among some of the other things Tiy's been doing... suboptimally (his stubborn reluctance to use torches is astounding), the pickaxe thing just stood out to me. I mean yeah sure, some more advanced picks could be worth repairing. But this thing's literally made of rock, why would you want to use a rarer rock to keep it going?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: August 18, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »

(his stubborn reluctance to use torches is astounding)

Perhaps torches are bugged and he didn't want to show that?
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 565