Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945096 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2175 on: August 03, 2013, 09:24:44 pm »

I'm surprised people are getting so worked up over this. You've got nothing better to do, nothing else to anticipate? Just this one indie game?

Sure, I want to play Starbound too, but in my point of view it will be ready when its ready and not a moment sooner. Then again, I'm very busy and in all likelyhood will not be able to play it the day of release. Maybe not even the week of release. Worst case scenario not even the same month. One day it will be out and I'll have the Internet access to download it, but until then there's no point in worrying imho.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: August 03, 2013, 09:29:33 pm »

Ah, that's interesting. So am I right in saying that the reason we can't see stars that peak in green as green stars because... we have a green star? We have the bias on our colour vision set to expect a spread with a yellow-green tint, so we see that as white? Does this mean that our averaging system for determining colour from multiple wavelengths of light is weighted so that the sun seen through our atmosphere averages to white? I guess this explains why various light sources look different on camera compared to real life, and why natural and artificial lights visually considered the same colour are actually different spectra, and affect fluorescent minerals differently.

I guess it makes sense that we have a visual range centred on our star's dominant wavelengths, though the more I read about human vision the more hackey it seems... I guess this is why machine vision is so dificult to make humanlike -- we don't read specific regions with an average hue and brightness or whatever, our eyes are complicated.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: August 03, 2013, 10:00:27 pm »

I'm surprised people are getting so worked up over this. You've got nothing better to do, nothing else to anticipate? Just this one indie game?

Sure, I want to play Starbound too, but in my point of view it will be ready when its ready and not a moment sooner. Then again, I'm very busy and in all likelyhood will not be able to play it the day of release. Maybe not even the week of release. Worst case scenario not even the same month. One day it will be out and I'll have the Internet access to download it, but until then there's no point in worrying imho.

I'm actually close to finishing out my Steam backlog, and I did believe after all the "we finally finished up X and got it in-game!" that all the stuff listed was... in the game. I also read "in the game" as "implemented" instead of "entered into an interior database but completely inactive and isolated from every other system which may or may not be implemented either". It feels misleading to me because it sounded like the game was almost ready by mid-to-late August, when now I sort of expect something in December.

I have some other games to play, but if I had known this one was (still) so unfinished, I'd have made a couple more purchases during the summer sale. That's the general vibe I get from here... more frustration than actual fanrage. So far.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: August 03, 2013, 10:01:46 pm »

I'd imagine the ones most worked up about it are those who have paid for it already.

I remember about a decade ago I used to get really worked up over games that were delayed but I was very vested in them. These days I couldn't care less. Maybe it's because I have so many things to think about and the cost of the game isn't that much to me anymore (whereas in the past $20 was shittonnes of money).

What I'm trying to say is...

YOU'RE ALL CHILDREN!!!!! YOU YOUNGINS HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO!!!!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2179 on: August 03, 2013, 10:15:10 pm »

I think Darkmere summed up why people are frustrated. They made it sound like it was almost done, but all they'd finished was a bunch of parts they hadn't even begun gluing to the final project.

I've never heard of development actually going in that direction, either. Sure, you have a lot of people working on different projects that can't necessarily all be part of the current build, but don't you want to test the parts out as you make them so there isn't some major discrepancy when you do put them on? You don't want to find out that Part A makes twelve other parts useless after you've made all those other parts. It'd also make bug squashing a bit easier.

As much as I'd like to see a release I'm not worked up about it. I do think they went about the whole thing in an odd way from a PR standpoint.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: August 03, 2013, 10:54:42 pm »

I've never heard of development actually going in that direction, either. Sure, you have a lot of people working on different projects that can't necessarily all be part of the current build, but don't you want to test the parts out as you make them so there isn't some major discrepancy when you do put them on? You don't want to find out that Part A makes twelve other parts useless after you've made all those other parts. It'd also make bug squashing a bit easier.
That's a good point and extremely weird if that's what they did.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: August 03, 2013, 10:57:05 pm »

I'd imagine the ones most worked up about it are those who have paid for it already.

I remember about a decade ago I used to get really worked up over games that were delayed but I was very vested in them. These days I couldn't care less. Maybe it's because I have so many things to think about and the cost of the game isn't that much to me anymore (whereas in the past $20 was shittonnes of money).

What I'm trying to say is...

YOU'RE ALL CHILDREN!!!!! YOU YOUNGINS HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO!!!!

When you're between the ages of 10-15, and have no income of your own, games that are delayed for long periods of time truly are a pain in your neck.

Though, the selection of stuff I could play for free was big even then.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: August 03, 2013, 11:41:52 pm »

-snip-
Minor nitpick, but I have in fact paid for it. I'm just not getting up in arms over the delays, unlike certain people whose names I won't mention.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2183 on: August 03, 2013, 11:45:36 pm »

If things are modular enough that you can just snap them together, how they did it wasn't a bad idea.

Of course, in this case they apparently weren't modular enough...

One problem could be if the individual parts don't go together well enough.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: August 03, 2013, 11:58:51 pm »

Those flowers look like barbutes.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: August 04, 2013, 05:16:16 am »

Minor nitpick, but I have in fact paid for it. I'm just not getting up in arms over the delays, unlike certain people whose names I won't mention.

I wouldn't really say anyone is up in arms yet, at least on this forum. I can't say the same for any others, least of all the official Starbound forums, because I haven't been there. But yeah, I don't think there has been a time in living memory where a Bay12 member has been "up in arms" about anything. We're pretty laid back :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: August 04, 2013, 08:51:00 am »

I wouldn't really say anyone is up in arms yet, at least on this forum. I can't say the same for any others, least of all the official Starbound forums, because I haven't been there. But yeah, I don't think there has been a time in living memory where a Bay12 member has been "up in arms" about anything. We're pretty laid back :P
The official starbound forums are pretty bad.  Everyone is really young, and many of them talk in colored text all the time, which is really obnoxious.  There's pretty much no real discussion since the game isn't out yet, so everything is just hype about how great the game will be.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: August 04, 2013, 09:00:28 am »

A thread that asks you what your playstyle is.

THE GAME ISN'T EVEN OUT YET.
WHAT?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: August 04, 2013, 09:26:31 am »

To be fair, you could at least make an educated guess based on what weapon type you used most in Terraria, I guess?

I don't begrudge most of them for being young and wide-eyed. They want to talk to someone, their real life friends or acquaintances may not be gamers, and there's really nothing much to say since the game doesn't exist. Look at us... we speculate on why it's taking so long, why it will be awesome/completely suck and etc. Not that much different.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: August 04, 2013, 09:29:28 am »

To be fair, you could at least make an educated guess based on what weapon type you used most in Terraria, I guess?

I don't begrudge most of them for being young and wide-eyed. They want to talk to someone, their real life friends or acquaintances may not be gamers, and there's really nothing much to say since the game doesn't exist. Look at us... we speculate on why it's taking so long, why it will be awesome/completely suck and etc. Not that much different.
But we aren't forming clans for a game that isn't going to be playable for months.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 565