Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944948 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2160 on: August 03, 2013, 04:23:31 am »

Hmm I could have sworn someone would have taken that joke and run with it.

Joke aside you havn't seen how the average gamer reacts when he has the beta in their hands. We are spared their cacophony.
You didn't even give us any time to run away with it, Neo.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
  • A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: August 03, 2013, 04:59:36 am »

Hmm I could have sworn someone would have taken that joke and run with it.

Joke aside you havn't seen how the average gamer reacts when he has the beta in their hands. We are spared their cacophony.

OMG PIECE OF SHIT SO BUGGED OMG WANT REFUND11111ELEVEN

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: August 03, 2013, 07:02:02 am »

Honestly, why can't they just release a beta?  I'm not asking for any kind of finished project, just something I can sink my teeth into while I wait for the full-game.

They have to make sure it is of "beta quality" before people go and complain that it is only of alpha quality.

I wouldnt care (I want the game now, buggy or not), but from their perspective this would probably be an issue.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: August 03, 2013, 08:15:18 am »

Ok I got an explanation. It seems they inadvertantly painted themselves into a bit of a corner. Most of the game's systems are programmed and it has tons of content, but not a lot of it is "activated" yet. The explanation I got is that everything is in place but it isn't wired together yet, which means that there isn't much to do.

For my own speculation, they were excited about building the systems and making content so they focused on those "fun" parts. Now they have to make everything interact appropriately to actually have a coherent game. It kind of makes sense, but I don't know if I should trust that info. What choice do I have at this point?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2164 on: August 03, 2013, 08:34:47 am »

Didn't you say that a while ago? Having all the systems, and now they just need to stitch them together.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: August 03, 2013, 08:41:33 am »

Somewhat, it turns out the problem was a little more complex and pervasive than I thought. I thought it was just NPC AI and quests, but it's pretty much all of the systems. So while they have bout 80-90% of everything in the game, not much is linked properly. This explains the issue a couple of people have been bringing up about the gameplay videos being boring.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: August 03, 2013, 10:50:15 am »

Sounds like another couple of months, at least.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: August 03, 2013, 03:27:59 pm »

Whoo, I have a copy of this thanks to Moghjubar and this awesome forum!
I was looking through the past dev logs, since I haven't been keeping as close an eye on them lately, and came across the awesome post about the lighting changing based on the proximity of nearby stars and their types. After seeing a cool screenshot of the world being totally tinted in red, I'm am hoping that "green dwarf" is a kind of star. Because there would be nothing more awesome than living on a completely green planet.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: August 03, 2013, 04:05:50 pm »

i would guess they probably take at least 3 more weeks to get their game systems working together and than another week for testing (as they seem to test their stuff anyways pretty often) before they consider any sort of "beta date" (if they even will have a beta... maybe they just go without a public beta).

so i would guess around the end of this month we might get some "beta date" or "release date estimate" (and for release i still guess around the end of the year... december or so... even though the game seems on paper like 95% "done" it probably still takes a while for it to come out. and if it comes out earlier: great.. and if not: well by december there should be more info about release anyways.)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: August 03, 2013, 04:08:38 pm »

Posting to watch. Starbound looks like a very pretty game, but I wonder if it's going to be able to deliver on all the non-Terraria-like parts of the design. We shall see.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: August 03, 2013, 07:29:50 pm »

My friend has NOTHING to say about release or beta and refuses to talk about it. I would guess IGF would be a likely candidate for a release announcement date, but who the hell knows. Honestly, they are pushing the goodwill of their fanbase. There is only so long that people will continue to be excited before they turn on it. A great example is Wildstar or Blizzard's Titan.

Starbound doesn't have to worry too much. I would wager they have already made 70-75% of their total PC sales so the only thing they will lose is some goodwill.

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: August 03, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »

I predict that most people who do turn away will eventually become re-interested once the game finally comes out, anyway. People are just frustrated and tired of waiting. Maybe not all, but most of them will get over it once the agonizing wait is finally over.   :'(

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: August 03, 2013, 08:23:10 pm »

I predict that most people who do turn away will eventually become re-interested once the game finally comes out, anyway. People are just frustrated and tired of waiting. Maybe not all, but most of them will get over it once the agonizing wait is finally over.   :'(

This is my guess. Unless the release is botched in some way, no one will care about long waits when there is no more wait.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: August 03, 2013, 09:06:39 pm »

[...] I'm am hoping that "green dwarf" is a kind of star. Because there would be nothing more awesome than living on a completely green planet.

There aren't any green stars* in our universe.  The Starbound universe?  We can hope.  And petition.  And eventually mod them in.

* It's because of the way our eyes work.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: August 03, 2013, 09:16:50 pm »

It's because of the way our eyes work.
... obviously, this means we must work toward fixing that. Proceeds from starbound can be funneled toward the "let our eyes see green stars" fund that probably doesn't yet exist.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 565