Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944843 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #2145 on: August 02, 2013, 01:46:41 am »

Nah I'm just averting hype.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 02, 2013, 01:48:17 am »

Nah I'm just averting hype.

I can do that just fine thank you... err wait I am not doing that...

Actually you want to know the one thing that dehyped me the most?

The weapons... Many of the weapons just do huge spreads and deal a lot of damage. That is a bad thing.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: August 02, 2013, 03:36:47 am »

The daily updates are seriously empty. They're literally just "hey guys, we're still doing stuff and things!". No real meaningful sense of how close things are to being finished, either. I miss when they used to post more technical updates, like the one a while back with the grappling rope. That update was an awesome read.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: August 02, 2013, 04:18:20 am »

Like I said, while most of the team is busy pumping content into the overflowing lake, the news section is holding back a disintegrating dam, trying to prevent too much of the content from escaping, so that people can be properly flooded by it when the game releases later. Sure, they could talk their heads off about everything they are adding or have added, but for a whole lot of people that would ruin the excitement of discovering the game for themselves.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: August 02, 2013, 04:31:14 am »

The daily updates are seriously empty. They're literally just "hey guys, we're still doing stuff and things!". No real meaningful sense of how close things are to being finished, either. I miss when they used to post more technical updates, like the one a while back with the grappling rope. That update was an awesome read.

Yeah but as is the nature of preorders of this type they are just updating to let you know they are still working.

I can certainly think of a few projects where I would have much preferred bland uninspired updates to either non-updates or no updates.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: August 02, 2013, 04:49:53 am »

Like I said, while most of the team is busy pumping content into the overflowing lake, the news section is holding back a disintegrating dam, trying to prevent too much of the content from escaping, so that people can be properly flooded by it when the game releases later. Sure, they could talk their heads off about everything they are adding or have added, but for a whole lot of people that would ruin the excitement of discovering the game for themselves.

I understand your point, but I really liked it when they'd take just one feature and explain the technical side of it indepth, it was really cool and enjoyable to read.

I can certainly think of a few projects where I would have much preferred bland uninspired updates to either non-updates or no updates.

Very good point. It's certainly better than nothing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:52:26 am by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 02, 2013, 03:34:15 pm »

Sorry for double post, but Tiy just posted a random Starbound screenshot to his twitter with no context or explanation. Half Life 3 confirmed?

In all seriousness though, dem flowers. I'm not even bening sarcastic, those flowers look incredible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 02, 2013, 03:40:09 pm »

They look like helmets on stems, mostly. I'm having trouble placing where the style's coming from, though. Almost want to say some kind of mobile suit, but maybe from the animated clone wars troopers? Maybe a cylon?

E: What I'm saying is it'll be great if we can like home grow our own little plant robot minion things.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:43:46 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: August 02, 2013, 04:12:35 pm »

aaaaaaaaaa it looks too good

That picture is practically bursting with aesthetic appeal. I agree with GO.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: August 02, 2013, 04:54:03 pm »

Honestly, why can't they just release a beta?  I'm not asking for any kind of finished project, just something I can sink my teeth into while I wait for the full-game.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: August 02, 2013, 04:59:29 pm »

Honestly, why can't they just release a beta?  I'm not asking for any kind of finished project, just something I can sink my teeth into while I wait for the full-game.

ALL OF THIS

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 02, 2013, 05:03:18 pm »

Guys it is because you aren't the ones they are concerned about.

They are concerned about the people who when they touch a Beta think it is the full game and rant on and on about it.

I hate people who complain about videogames on and on!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: August 02, 2013, 05:07:27 pm »

This. I bought beta. I expect bugs, I expect less content. Looks more like they are finishing it off, to me.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same. It looks like they're just going to finish it, cut out the quests part, then put the finished game out as "beta" a month before release and keep adding more content.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: August 02, 2013, 05:09:29 pm »

Hmm I could have sworn someone would have taken that joke and run with it.

Joke aside you havn't seen how the average gamer reacts when he has the beta in their hands. We are spared their cacophony.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: August 03, 2013, 04:19:13 am »

Man, even the devs are starting to admit their daily updates are plain xD
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 565