Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944863 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1965 on: July 17, 2013, 05:43:05 pm »

Well, bugs in single player will be bugs fixed in multiplayer, they'll have to fix them anyway. Also yeah, I'm one of those people that plays single player first, sometimes to "completion" before touching multiplayer so I know what's going on.  :P

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 17, 2013, 05:52:41 pm »

I honestly hate MP and prefer solitude. Nobody to have disagreements with but myself.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #1967 on: July 17, 2013, 05:56:43 pm »

I honestly hate MP and prefer solitude. Nobody to have disagreements with but myself.

This would make the best soap opera.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: July 17, 2013, 06:04:39 pm »

I just prefer to have my larger-scale building projects locally available when I choose. oh, and all that "shit you pulled in minecraft" thread makes me never want to associate with people, ever.

If there were some kind of menagerie available on the bay12 server where I could contribute free-range combat pets and mounts, I'd stop by to buy, sell and trade, certainly. But I have zero interest in having things I put time into destroyed by someone because they could, or having to walk past dongships to get to the local adventure grounds. Others are free to do as they like, but I'll always primarily play solo.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: July 17, 2013, 06:16:28 pm »

This would make the best soap opera.

Me, Myself, and I, coming this month to HBO.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: July 18, 2013, 08:02:53 am »

At this point I'm excited enough about the game that I'll take whatever playable material I'm given. Generally I play either singleplayer or in a private game with 2-3 trusted friends where we all know no ones going to grief too badly. However in this case I'd take anything xD
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: July 18, 2013, 08:45:57 am »

I would suggest heading over to their forum and making it clear then. The majority of gamers are forced to play alone and most of the content that is completed is SP oriented right now, so I think those are their reasoning, but nothing is set in stone. Apparently, they also discuss the idea of waiting until EVERYTHING is done, circa Jan 2014. Everything is up in the air with this group. I do think you are outnumbered though, as many people play SP first to learn and then MP for social fun/pvp/group builds if Terraria and their forums are anything to go by.

Yes but that is because of how poorly geared Terraria was towards a multiplayer experience a lot of the time as well as the hurdles the average player would have to go through to even play multiplayer (ohh dear goodness). Which honestly is kind of an odd thing to say because it was made as a multiplayer game first and single player second, heck Skeletor originally could only be defeated in multiplayer without skipping the dungeon tier (or possibly the star cannon).

Starbound actually has the best tool to achieve a proper balance between multiplayer and single player (the ship) and doesn't need to have the same multiplayer problems as Terraria.

Mind you I don't know why I give Starbound any credit. Since the safe bet is just to assume general incompetence and thus they shouldn't attempt the balance.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:48:48 am by Neonivek »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 18, 2013, 08:49:10 am »

There is unfortunately no evidence that multiplayer will be any better than Terraria yet. It could be hard to setup and connect, it could have no tools for dealing with griefers, it could have rubberbanding problems......we just don't know yet.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: July 18, 2013, 09:00:44 am »

I just prefer to have my larger-scale building projects locally available when I choose. oh, and all that "shit you pulled in minecraft" thread makes me never want to associate with people, ever.

If there were some kind of menagerie available on the bay12 server where I could contribute free-range combat pets and mounts, I'd stop by to buy, sell and trade, certainly. But I have zero interest in having things I put time into destroyed by someone because they could, or having to walk past dongships to get to the local adventure grounds. Others are free to do as they like, but I'll always primarily play solo.
The people here generally don't grief, tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1974 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:58 am »

Personally, I'd make a private server just for a few trusted friends.
Best protection is prevention and all.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: July 18, 2013, 09:03:23 am »

There is unfortunately no evidence that multiplayer will be any better than Terraria yet. It could be hard to setup and connect, it could have no tools for dealing with griefers, it could have rubberbanding problems......we just don't know yet.

Ahh now you are thinking like a Neonivek. Bask BASK in the negativity!

Let rain upon this world a torrent of pessimism!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:09:06 am by Neonivek »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: July 18, 2013, 09:46:18 am »

Your thinking just happened to coincide with the empirical evidence. It very well might be an improvement, but no assumption can be made right now. 
Only a simple mind can be certain.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: July 18, 2013, 10:29:05 am »

Hahaha oh god. This is why I like Neonivek.

Personally, I'd make a private server just for a few trusted friends.
Best protection is prevention and all.

Yes. This. Besides, public servers can be fun and all, but my best times have been had over LAN or playing with just 2-3 friends.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: July 18, 2013, 11:57:41 am »

Agreed with FFS. Games are best played when you are within  yelling range of each other.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: July 18, 2013, 12:04:15 pm »

Wait, you call that pessimism?  I thought he was just being realistic .... :(
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 565