Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944817 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1875 on: July 11, 2013, 10:11:20 am »

are there civs to discover, exploit and eventually torture for fun?

(I had a bad day and creatures don't run on windows anymore)

There are procedurally-generated settlements with NPCs in them. Lock them in their homes and pump magma in. No guarantee it will be actually satisfying to do that, though.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: July 11, 2013, 11:24:53 am »

are there civs to discover, exploit and eventually torture for fun?

(I had a bad day and creatures don't run on windows anymore)

There are procedurally-generated settlements with NPCs in them. Lock them in their homes and pump magma in. No guarantee it will be actually satisfying to do that, though.

Oh trust me, burning people alive with magma is always satisfying.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: July 13, 2013, 04:26:24 am »

What's the song in today's news post? It's really familiar but I can't quite place it.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 13, 2013, 05:10:27 am »

god for some reason that singing is cute as hell... (gives a ton of character/atmosphere for the character too)

i wonder if that singing could be used for the typing textbubblespeech too...(i.e. more like "the sims" gibberish... and not text to speech like i.e. "moonbase alpha" (good-ish text to speach would probably take a while))
but i guess its at the moment just working as "instrument" that reads that ABC (?) stuff.

another thing i wonder is if it would be possible to create the ABC sound in the game?
i.e. a "notebook" item with notelines where you can drag the various notes (from a list on the side or all possible ones shown at the bottom) onto the lines... give it a name and save it in the game that way?... maybe even working with copy pasting ABC that way into the game, with a notebook button (import copy/paste clipboard) or so and then shows the notes on the notebook for the ABC song...

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 13, 2013, 05:50:16 am »

Anyway, not sure how I feel about these developments on music. On one hand, it will be awesome to be walking around with a guitar and white shirt playing annoying songs. On the other hand, I would very much prefer they focus on getting the core game playable before moving into more novelty stuff. Then again, they have a largish group and it is conceivable that the core team is focused purely on getting things ready for open beta, while the others work on features while they also want for the release. I don't know. Either way, still happy about the music system, and frustrated at delays.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: July 13, 2013, 05:54:37 am »

From the update posts, it mostly sounds like it's just the sound guy(s) working on this stuff, and he/she(they) apparently has(/have) nothing else to do but muddle. S'probably not notably impacting beta release, basically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: July 13, 2013, 05:59:41 am »

Well, what they are doing would require a programmer. If you build your engine right then you can often easily add content without ever touching a compiler, be it raws or editors, but the introduction of a brand new system such as playing music demands some code, so it couldn't be just sound guys.
Although from some of the updates I get the impression they are working hard on balance issues and other more content stuff that, like I said, can be done with raws or editors, so it is possible the code itself is already in an iteration ready for release and the programmers can go off muddle it up with the sound department.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 13, 2013, 06:10:03 am »

It is possible that the sound guy is actually the guy in charge of the sound system, not just in charge of making the sounds, so he's also part programmer. Plus they already have the ABC system in - singing is essentially just a slightly different instrument with a different notation, it's nothing too drastically new so as to be impossible to add with only minor tweaking of existing systems.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 13, 2013, 06:24:08 am »

Yeah. I feel like they're just bugtesting the music system and adding a few nice animations.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: July 13, 2013, 07:46:08 am »

This singing just made my day.
Suddenly, DragonForce songs everywhere.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: July 13, 2013, 01:23:39 pm »

The game is about 85% ready for single player according to my friend on the inside. NPC AI is still giving them trouble as is mission generation. There is also a tiny bit of stuff left to do with dungeons since they finally fixed the dungeon protection mechanic and added the protection item to be destroyed. Multiplayer/server admin tools are about 2-3 months behind the single player experience and they are not 100% sure whether they are going to release SP version as an alpha/beta or if they will just wait and release the whole thing in November/December/January
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1888 on: July 13, 2013, 01:28:29 pm »

Not that my opinion matters much to them but I'd prefer if they simply waited and released the thing as complete as possible.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: July 13, 2013, 01:31:53 pm »

I guess that depends on whether or not you consider MP vital.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 565