Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945013 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1770 on: July 01, 2013, 07:04:06 pm »

Don't forget Bob Dylan songs. Buskers always play Bob Dylan songs.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 01, 2013, 10:52:34 pm »

They probably won't be able to follow you onto your ship unless they're in your party or something. Then just jet off a to a different planet. They probably won't be able follow you. Plus they'll probably get a million requests for an ignore button that also silences them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 01, 2013, 11:34:23 pm »

... mute button could be done in style. Instead of just muting them, your character actually walks up to them, rips the instrument out of their hands, and forcibly crams it down their throat. Instrument access will thereafter be lost until they finish digesting, a time which would vary based on race.

This is best idea.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 01, 2013, 11:39:28 pm »

... mute button could be done in style. Instead of just muting them, your character actually walks up to them, rips the instrument out of their hands, and forcibly crams it down their throat. Instrument access will thereafter be lost until they finish digesting, a time which would vary based on race.

This is best idea.

And until they finish digesting it, their entire body is shaped liked whatever instrument they were using.

Kinda like this.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 02, 2013, 12:21:11 am »

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a band of adventurers playing the Star Wars cantina theme forever.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 02, 2013, 12:38:52 am »

We had this discussion a few pages ago and it didn't really go anywhere. Long story short, about half the people agree with you, the other half think it's cool and you can't have too much stuff.
*note - I may have been generous with my percentages in an effort to prevent further splintering of the discussion.

I thought that was about feature creep - i.e. new things keep getting added to the point that nothing ever gets finished.

My fear is a bit different: features getting finished and being fully polished by themselves, but not meshing together very well because they were created completely separately.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 02, 2013, 02:34:25 am »

This is best idea.

I'm pelting this post with +1's but smf doesn't support it for some reason.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 02, 2013, 04:57:21 am »

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a band of adventurers playing the Star Wars cantina theme forever.

And the future is glorious.
Love, scriver~

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: July 02, 2013, 03:49:06 pm »

We had this discussion a few pages ago and it didn't really go anywhere. Long story short, about half the people agree with you, the other half think it's cool and you can't have too much stuff.
*note - I may have been generous with my percentages in an effort to prevent further splintering of the discussion.

I thought that was about feature creep - i.e. new things keep getting added to the point that nothing ever gets finished.

My fear is a bit different: features getting finished and being fully polished by themselves, but not meshing together very well because they were created completely separately.
Sort of. My argument that one of the problems with scope creep is that the additional pieces don't fit together well and the final product is less coherent. In short, I am in complete agreement with you.

And to answer everyone who asked if that was the big announcement yesterday, no. Three of four important people were out of the "office" and the announcement has been pushed back. The person that shares information with me says that they are afraid they are starting to be pushed away from the project. I hope that that's just healthy paranoia and not indicative of the sort of split that can happen to teams at launch.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 02, 2013, 03:54:08 pm »

Space traveling carnivorous plant mariachi bands.  My dreams have come true!
That's it. I'm buying this, 100 percent.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: July 02, 2013, 04:27:31 pm »

I keep forgetting to watch this thread.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 02, 2013, 07:09:53 pm »

The Q&A thread on their forums is really cool, and it at least gives me confidence that if there's going to be a huge amount of feature creep, it'll be post release.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 02, 2013, 07:15:19 pm »

The Q&A thread on their forums is really cool, and it at least gives me confidence that if there's going to be a huge amount of feature creep, it'll be post release.

Feature creep is only an issue if it interferes with the game. Otherwise it is just a lot of features.

Instruments for example are not a required part of the game nor are they intrusive to the gameplay. They can be ignored or treated as loot.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 02, 2013, 07:17:09 pm »

The main thing I was concerned about was it pushing development further and further back or worse leading to bugs that also push development way back on top of that. But judging by Tiy's responses, they really want to get a beta and release out the door asap.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 02, 2013, 07:26:22 pm »

The main thing I was concerned about was it pushing development further and further back or worse leading to bugs that also push development way back on top of that. But judging by Tiy's responses, they really want to get a beta and release out the door asap.

I REALLY hope they don't pull a Terraria where they release it early and then find out "ohh wait, developing is hard... Well we have the money already..."
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 565