Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945310 times)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1755 on: July 01, 2013, 10:24:53 am »

mute option

or how about an "earmuff" item?
you equip it and cant hear any music from other players anymore... and no soundeffects in general... and all speach text will be muffed too... (a bunch of letters missing? like: "a ..nch .f ..tt.r. m....ng?" )

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: July 01, 2013, 11:13:29 am »

Cool idea. It'll be so useless people will just turn down their computer volume! :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 01, 2013, 11:26:20 am »

Cool idea. It'll be so useless people will just turn down their computer volume! :P

I really do hope there is some in-game way to mute them, though, because I rather enjoy the soundtrack.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 01, 2013, 01:35:05 pm »

I bet there'll be a menu that lets you adjust volume of different things like SFX, music, etc. Practically all games have.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 01, 2013, 02:21:36 pm »

I bet there'll be a menu that lets you adjust volume of different things like SFX, music, etc. Practically all games have.

True, but hopefully it'll let you parse out "player instruments" instead of SFX in general. Already foreseeing griefers running around with cowbells and trombones...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: July 01, 2013, 03:08:37 pm »

Griefers? Back in my days, we called them Jazz Pjatts.
Love, scriver~

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: July 01, 2013, 03:20:56 pm »

I just noticed there was music on the soundtrack called 'ocean exploration'

I am DEFINITELY getting my own ocean planet.
When the game's out, we're gonna HAVE to do a B12 server were we colonize the single least hospitable planet we can find.

And I know what most of you are thinking.  "Oh, so we'll embark on an aquifer instead of-" NO!  I mean a permanently frozen terrifying zombie glacier aquifer with recurring giant zombie badgers and dire werewolf sieges.  If there were ever a method to 'literally colonize hell' we're gonna have to do it in Starbound.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: July 01, 2013, 03:36:08 pm »

I have mixed feelings about their design philosophy. On one hand, I love the Sunday projects and things like that - when you let designers work on what they want, you tend to get really cool features that you can tell have a lot of love put into them.

On the other hand, features can get really fragmented like this. This is probably helped a lot by their smaller design team, but I hate playing games where Feature A is fleshed out well, and Feature B is fleshed out well, but when you try to use them at the same time they don't work because the two features were created completely separately and no thought was put into their interaction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: July 01, 2013, 04:07:27 pm »

When the game's out, we're gonna HAVE to do a B12 server were we colonize the single least hospitable planet we can find.
Or find a large server, make a B12 faction, find the least hospitable planet, then use the native lifeforms as a form of defence from griefers, raiders and general dicks.
I like this idea as well.  We'll be 'those jerks who live inside the volcano' and people will be like 'Those B12 jerks came by and dicked around in our space again' and 'We should go mess up their base!  Where do they live?  Oh...  Well I guess I don't mind when people visit our space...'

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 01, 2013, 05:04:37 pm »

I have mixed feelings about their design philosophy. On one hand, I love the Sunday projects and things like that - when you let designers work on what they want, you tend to get really cool features that you can tell have a lot of love put into them.

On the other hand, features can get really fragmented like this. This is probably helped a lot by their smaller design team, but I hate playing games where Feature A is fleshed out well, and Feature B is fleshed out well, but when you try to use them at the same time they don't work because the two features were created completely separately and no thought was put into their interaction.

We had this discussion a few pages ago and it didn't really go anywhere. Long story short, about half the people agree with you, the other half think it's cool and you can't have too much stuff.
*note - I may have been generous with my percentages in an effort to prevent further splintering of the discussion.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: July 01, 2013, 05:29:54 pm »

And I know what most of you are thinking.  "Oh, so we'll embark on an aquifer instead of-" NO!  I mean a permanently frozen terrifying zombie glacier aquifer with recurring giant zombie badgers and dire werewolf sieges.  If there were ever a method to 'literally colonize hell' we're gonna have to do it in Starbound.

And just like that, I really want to play DF again.

Also this game.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 01, 2013, 05:59:04 pm »

We had this discussion a few pages ago and it didn't really go anywhere. Long story short, about half the people agree with you, the other half think it's cool and you can't have too much stuff.
*note - I may have been generous with my percentages in an effort to prevent further splintering of the discussion.

It all really comes down to when the game is actually released, and frankly as always game making is an artistic undertaking so giving your developers artistic license, even when what they will work on isn't a direct improvement of the game, isn't something I can frown at.

Instruments could work though.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 01, 2013, 06:16:33 pm »

Space traveling carnivorous plant mariachi bands.  My dreams have come true!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: July 01, 2013, 06:49:33 pm »

I'm predicting troll buskers who will constantly follow you everywhere, even in space, and never leave.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 01, 2013, 07:03:25 pm »

Complete with a MIDI version of Hotel California with appropriate Starbound/troll lyrics.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 565