Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945186 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1545 on: May 24, 2013, 02:12:10 pm »

I guess these features would have the same lua-scripting hooks that the dungeon ones would have.  You could probably have all sorts of crazy stuff then.  Scripted Boss Fights, meteor showers, Ion cannon mining operations, tar pits with sinking aliens, gladiator arenas...

As I understand it, the features like that and dungeons are pixel maps with assigned values per pixel that change per planetary biome. The intent was as you described, for easy modability and to allow users to put in their own dungeon designs in addition to their post-release weekly content updates. So yes, that. I don't usually mod games for a long time after release, but I do look forward to seeing what the community comes up with.

I think Levi was referring not to how dungeons are built but the LUA hooks they mentioned before here: http://playstarbound.com/dungeon-generation/ That would be nice to see elsewhere. Lua is a great scripting language if embedded in a game like this.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 24, 2013, 02:26:43 pm »

Ah there you go. That was the post I was thinking of, I just completely missed the LUA line.

Now the question is, can we extend that from random dungeon chunks to a rapid terraforming script that lets you design and place specific rooms where you like? Coz... yes. That seems pretty extreme though.

*Edit* I just went through all that to ask the same question Levi did, didn't I?

facepalm.jpg
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 24, 2013, 06:25:17 pm »

Hey Neonivek, they were listening to you back there. :) Hundreds of terrain set pieces to be incorporated into worldgen? Fuckyeah! I was hoping for this sort of thing, too. I mean, you can bend Terraria and Minecraft's worldgen parameters to do some pretty crazy stuff, but to get truly impressive structures occuring totally at random is extremely rare and requires a deep level of simulation if you actually want biomes to form in a way that makes geological sense. Not even Dwarf Fortress does it reliably on the micro-scale. Pre-designed pieces are the next best thing. The worlds will definitely benefit from their inclusion, given they manage to fit them in without it looking awkward.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 24, 2013, 06:26:41 pm »

Hey Neonivek, they were listening to you back there. :) Hundreds of terrain set pieces to be incorporated into worldgen?

:o

Neonivek, they were listening to you

:o :o :o

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 24, 2013, 06:29:00 pm »

And so, with a post count approaching 23,000, people started to listen to Neonivek. It was a bright new day, full of hope. He could post about anything and have his opinion carefully analysed. War, faith, vidya games. To him, even the sky was no longer a limit!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: May 24, 2013, 08:06:35 pm »

Bullcrap. No-one listens to Neonivek. I'm not even sure Neonivek listens to Neonivek.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: May 24, 2013, 08:19:38 pm »

If you try to record Neonviek speaking, you find that the tape recorder didn't record it. Because no-one listens to Neonviek!

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 24, 2013, 09:18:51 pm »

If neonivek posts in a forum and no-one is listening, does it make a sound?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:24:15 pm by BunnyBob77 »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: May 24, 2013, 09:23:09 pm »

Alright guys stop it, its not funny anymore. Do we really have to start attacking others?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: May 24, 2013, 09:28:55 pm »

What, this? It's good-natured teasing, not attacking.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: May 24, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »

Not seeing this "attacking" you're talking about, but yeah, that joke went on a bit long. :P
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 24, 2013, 09:36:56 pm »

Well my french sometime pick the wrong word, the few posts were acceptable, but it went too far. Just please be carefull. I do know im not a moderator but ive had a few conversation about the general community and where it is currently going, i just want to make ssure we all stay *cordial* should i say?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: May 24, 2013, 09:39:59 pm »

The community's not going anywhere, and Neonivek can handle it. Back to our 2D Spaceman game.

Wait.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: May 24, 2013, 09:54:40 pm »

The community's not going anywhere, and Neonivek can handle it. Back to our 2D Spaceman game.

Wait.

Har har. Was that accidental?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 25, 2013, 04:16:53 am »

Actually, Starbound is a 2D spehssman game too :o

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 565