Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944863 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1530 on: May 23, 2013, 10:10:32 pm »

Due to a annoying series of bugs, might be another 3-4 weeks until a playable client is out.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 23, 2013, 10:12:53 pm »

Haaahahaha, I loved the expressions in that video. Especially the :I

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 23, 2013, 11:16:43 pm »

I know, right? It's such a small, needless feature to add but I keep chuckling about it, anyway.

Does anyone know if there's been a video of the mechs released in action? Because dang:

I think the vehicles are a brand new implementation. At the end of last month (I believe?) only a few had been modeled, and none were in-game yet. Hoverbikes and those mechs are confirmed though, along with who-knows-what-else.

Due to a annoying series of bugs, might be another 3-4 weeks until a playable client is out.

Is that a conservative "might" or a generous "might"? :)

I kid, I kid.
... no I don't.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: May 24, 2013, 06:23:06 am »

To better explain it as it was explained to me. "The team is 2 weeks behind where we thought we would be." Seems like it's not so bad. My understanding is that it relates to a core feature and not just fluff that can be added later. If you have ever coded a large project then you know that delays are exponential. Logically, if you are two weeks behind then it will take you at least four weeks to finish.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 24, 2013, 06:39:22 am »

So what your saying is two months?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 24, 2013, 07:24:07 am »

Six months.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 24, 2013, 08:05:50 am »

Look, it may or may not be done before 2055. The important part is you have to believe.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 24, 2013, 09:01:56 am »

Valve-time remains the most reliable way of predicting actual release.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 24, 2013, 09:14:03 am »

I think I was mostly intrigued by humans apparently being speciesist assholes :P

Or at least that pair. It'd be an interesting combination when mixed with the apparent xenophilia.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 24, 2013, 09:45:45 am »

I watched that video last night.

I got the "crane" joke just now.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: May 24, 2013, 10:32:13 am »

We’ve also been working on adding more ‘Terrain features’. These are small portions of terrain that make use of our dungeon system code to place very interesting set pieces on the terrain. They blend in nicely with existing terrain and there are hundreds of them.

Here’s an example of a terrain feature, a natural bridge:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neat thing about this, is it'll probably be pretty modable, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of user made terrain feature packs adding a even more.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 24, 2013, 10:44:30 am »

We’ve also been working on adding more ‘Terrain features’. These are small portions of terrain that make use of our dungeon system code to place very interesting set pieces on the terrain. They blend in nicely with existing terrain and there are hundreds of them.

Neat thing about this, is it'll probably be pretty modable, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of user made terrain feature packs adding a even more.  :)

Including giant, dick-shaped ancient relics, ofcourse!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 24, 2013, 10:48:55 am »

Including giant, dick-shaped ancient relics, ofcourse!
Giant, dick-shaped historically accurate ancient relics!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 24, 2013, 12:52:06 pm »

I guess these features would have the same lua-scripting hooks that the dungeon ones would have.  You could probably have all sorts of crazy stuff then.  Scripted Boss Fights, meteor showers, Ion cannon mining operations, tar pits with sinking aliens, gladiator arenas...
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 24, 2013, 01:34:40 pm »

I guess these features would have the same lua-scripting hooks that the dungeon ones would have.  You could probably have all sorts of crazy stuff then.  Scripted Boss Fights, meteor showers, Ion cannon mining operations, tar pits with sinking aliens, gladiator arenas...

As I understand it, the features like that and dungeons are pixel maps with assigned values per pixel that change per planetary biome. The intent was as you described, for easy modability and to allow users to put in their own dungeon designs in addition to their post-release weekly content updates. So yes, that. I don't usually mod games for a long time after release, but I do look forward to seeing what the community comes up with.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 565