Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945013 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1110 on: April 13, 2013, 09:32:10 am »

Re-dinging the pool question. Got a tentative three, I think, one more to split four ways. Anyone interested?

Again, it's $11.25 if you wanna pool with us. Frumple, you have a paypal we could send the moolah to?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 13, 2013, 09:36:53 am »

It is possible to send an object into Earth orbit by a single application of force - meaning a single hard punt from the ground, and letting gravity do its thing afterwards. It won't technically be a stable orbit, but it will be outside of the atmosphere, and not in any immediate danger of crashing into things. This is assuming the object is otherwise indestructible, or is provided some form of protection from both the punt and the atmosphere during ascent.
It's not really an orbit if it's going to come crashing back down.
Hehe, nope. A nice elliptic orbit with a perigee higher than the edge of Earth's atmosphere and an apogee... way higher than that. Not in danger of crashing into anything for at least a few years, maybe longer if done right.
...can you draw this for me?
This does not agree with how I know orbits work.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 13, 2013, 09:46:48 am »

Re-dinging the pool question. Got a tentative three, I think, one more to split four ways. Anyone interested?

Again, it's $11.25 if you wanna pool with us. Frumple, you have a paypal we could send the moolah to?
Aye, do. Or will. I'm actually bumming someone else's, technically (I don't really have anything but cash at the moment, but family has bank/paypal so I run it through them, heh.), but it shouldn't take more than a minute or two to clear that once we've got a fourth. And the person in question wakes up... giving that another half hour, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 13, 2013, 10:15:24 am »

It is possible to send an object into Earth orbit by a single application of force - meaning a single hard punt from the ground, and letting gravity do its thing afterwards. It won't technically be a stable orbit, but it will be outside of the atmosphere, and not in any immediate danger of crashing into things. This is assuming the object is otherwise indestructible, or is provided some form of protection from both the punt and the atmosphere during ascent.
Hehe, nope. A nice elliptic orbit with a perigee higher than the edge of Earth's atmosphere and an apogee... way higher than that. Not in danger of crashing into anything for at least a few years, maybe longer if done right.
This is what you get when all you think of is pure math. You should play more KSP. :P Punt to an apogee of anywhere between 360-400K kilometers, acquire Moon gravity assist to bring up perigee, become safely in orbit for a few years until the Moon syncs up and comes close enough to severely affect the orbit again. It's not just the force or the angle, it's also the timing and location of the punt that count. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 13, 2013, 10:43:32 am »

This is what you get when all you think of is pure math. You should play more KSP. :P Punt to an apogee of anywhere between 360-400K kilometers, acquire Moon gravity assist to bring up perigee, become safely in orbit for a few years until the Moon syncs up and comes close enough to severely affect the orbit again. It's not just the force or the angle, it's also the timing and location of the punt that count. ^_^
Hey, you didn't tell me the moon was involved.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 13, 2013, 10:47:56 am »

Oh well. Why not. I'm up for being included in a 4pack. Can you pay with paypal?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 13, 2013, 10:48:53 am »

Oh well. Why not. I'm up for being included in a 4pack. Can you pay with paypal?

Yeah, I think that's the idea. Lookie, we got our fourth person!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 13, 2013, 10:49:34 am »

So we do! Sirus still in, yeah? E: And cleared with the account holder. I've got the paypal information waiting for Siri to chime in, then I'll PM it out. E2: Or I'll go ahead and send it to you and Empty, and wait for Siri. Push comes to shove, I'll cover the remainder if Sirus runs into problems and someone else doesn't jump in. E3: And PMs sent~
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:10:44 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 13, 2013, 10:53:44 am »

I will be giving away 2 copy's of this next month as well :)
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 13, 2013, 11:57:52 am »

They are getting money at crazy speeds. I wonder how long this will last before it slows down.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 13, 2013, 12:07:45 pm »

Still interested! Would I need a PayPall account of my own? I've never done something like this :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: April 13, 2013, 12:13:30 pm »

I... think so? A means to transfer something to a paypal account, anyway. Which I'm fairly sure entails one, heh. Check the site for more info, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 13, 2013, 12:18:13 pm »

Hmm. Alrighty then, let me take a look around the website. Looks like there'll be some fees involved if anyone is outside of the US :/

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: April 13, 2013, 12:24:00 pm »

Ah. Yeah, small one, looks like. ~40 cent on the upper end, from what I'm calculatin'. If it's a big thing, I'd probably be willin' to cover the difference 'tween th'11.25 and the fee. Just find out how much it is and send 10-whatever.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 13, 2013, 12:33:34 pm »

Question! How much personal information is revealed when a PayPal transfer is done? Email address, probably. What about names and stuff?

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 565