Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944767 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1020 on: March 22, 2013, 07:57:06 am »

Challenge: Name a sandbox game that didn't get old fast.
Extra credits: Explain how it was the sandbox elements that led to this replayability.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say it has never been done, I'm just looping for honest input as to what makes a sandbox game fun to cross examine with what we have seen of Starbound.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 22, 2013, 08:10:30 am »

Challenge: Name a sandbox game that didn't get old fast.
Extra credits: Explain how it was the sandbox elements that led to this replayability.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say it has never been done, I'm just looping for honest input as to what makes a sandbox game fun to cross examine with what we have seen of Starbound.

Garry's Mod. I kept playing that thing for years due to crazy friends continually inventing outrageous things to do with the physics engine and multiplayer.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 22, 2013, 08:20:20 am »

For a sandbox game to not get old fast, it needs to have a few of a list of general things. Emergent situations, supplementing player creativity, continuous challenge, lack of boundaries... generally a sandbox game needs to provide the player some things to do.

Space Rangers take a while to get old due to the replayability value of text quests, lots of different starting conditions in an emergent environment, and the various methods of achieving victory.

Mount&Blade takes a while to get old because of both the quality of its combat system and the everpresent feeling of being a small fish in a pool of sharks. It is unlikely to get old as long as you aren't fielding an army that can crush any single opponent and/or take cities by itself. This is in addition to all the sidequests you can do and all the ridiculously expensive things you can try to find and purchase.

Dwarf Fortress... well, not quite yet, but the direction it's going in will make it the ultimate sandbox game.

There are quite a few sandbox games that didn't get old simply due to the core gameplay remaining interesting, and the environment remaining challenging. Even simple games such as Flatspace manage to hit that point from time to time.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 22, 2013, 08:27:23 am »

Garry's Mod. I kept playing that thing for years due to crazy friends continually inventing outrageous things to do with the physics engine and multiplayer.
OK so we have three concepts presented here. First is multiplayer interaction. That is not only building your own things, but seeing what others make to add to replayability. Starbound will have this, good news!
Next is physics interactions. They might have this on some level, but I doubt it. The game type just does not lend itself well to this. Basically physics interactions is about experimentation on a level deeper than just rubbing every item on everything. The best we can hope for is a parallel to Minecrafts redstone.
And finally we have user genned content. Garys mod has user made content, right? This basically gives you a lot more content to work with so you get bored of old stuff less quickly.

So, if Starbound is to be fun in the same way Garys mod is fun, we need the ability to design complex systems, and the ability to make mods.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 22, 2013, 10:19:01 am »

The complex systems bit is confirmed, at least. See Here. Specifically the last point under "Building and crafting":
"Circuitry will be a big part of the game and will double as part of the level-editor. Wiring will have logic gates."

One thing Starbound will have that Garry's Mod does not is procedural level and monster generation. That gives an, in theory, extremely large (though perhaps bland and very similar) amount of content.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 22, 2013, 10:39:47 am »

So, if Starbound is to be fun in the same way Garys mod is fun, we need the ability to design complex systems, and the ability to make mods.

You must also realize "what makes a sandbox fun" heavily varies from person to person. I was bored to tears from Minecraft after 6 months, even with mods. However, I've seen people who continue building and modding cool stuff into it year after year.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 22, 2013, 10:54:25 am »

And for me creation without a point is pointless.

Which is why I got bored with minecraft rather quickly. Why build these impressive but extremely useless structures?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 22, 2013, 10:57:56 am »

Which is why I got bored with minecraft rather quickly. Why build these impressive but extremely useless structures?
That is, indeed, why I never liked Minecraft much.

Kerbal Space Program, on the other hand...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:00:01 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 22, 2013, 11:26:37 am »

Well, with any videogame you reach the end of a chain of events where there is no further point. With anything ever, really.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 22, 2013, 11:35:50 am »

I concur. Creation needs a point to be interesting. That's why I never really got into the concept of megaprojects in pretty much any sandbox. Hell, I personally like Cataclysm because I'm of the sandboxy type who prefers crafting to building. I like making a sword so I can slice my enemies to death while I explore. I'm not really seeing the point of making a giant fortress shaped like a sword.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 22, 2013, 11:38:03 am »

I think it depends where people ge their motivation. Some people have a stronger will-to-create and are willing to indulge their 'wouldn't be awesome if...?'-style thoughts. Other people require extrinsic motivators, people telling them what is valuable to achieve.

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 22, 2013, 11:39:31 am »

On the topic of hemmingjay's little birdie...
It does appear that they are preparing to launch a preorder/alpha access system.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 22, 2013, 12:46:24 pm »

I concur. Creation needs a point to be interesting. That's why I never really got into the concept of megaprojects in pretty much any sandbox. Hell, I personally like Cataclysm because I'm of the sandboxy type who prefers crafting to building. I like making a sword so I can slice my enemies to death while I explore. I'm not really seeing the point of making a giant fortress shaped like a sword.
Unless you can slice enemies to death with it, of course.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 22, 2013, 03:04:25 pm »

It does appear that they are preparing to launch a preorder/alpha access system.

• Preordering will be cheaper than buying the game after it comes out of beta

Just that is a sell for me (assuming it's something like 10 bucks :P).

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 22, 2013, 03:31:27 pm »

• Preordering will be cheaper than buying the game after it comes out of beta

Just that is a sell for me (assuming it's something like 10 bucks :P).

I would expect the basic supporter tier(just the game and beta) to be $14.99. I expect retail to be $20 or $25(ouch!) initially and then dropping down to $9.99 within 9-12 months and then the obvious Steam sale blowouts at $2.99-7.49 etc.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 565