Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945107 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #720 on: September 13, 2012, 07:30:14 pm »

Yeah last I heard was 4Q 2012. Hoping for Nov-Dec then.

That's awful wishful thinking considering they've only really posted a few small mockups. Q3 2013 might be a better estimate if the current website is any indicator.
That...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 13, 2012, 08:49:57 pm »

That's awful wishful thinking considering they've only really posted a few small mockups. Q3 2013 might be a better estimate if the current website is any indicator.

Actually there has been a water demo, a lighting demo, a forest biome generation demo, the Devs have mentioned multiple times that they have mostly all of the "engine" finished and are just adding content at this point... so it's not really too wishful at this point, but more just logical.

speaking of which, the "main site" is terribly outdated really, you have to look on the forums, twitter, and even the IRC channel if you want up to date info.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 13, 2012, 09:08:15 pm »

I wouldn't call this a small mock-up...

Edit: Here's my favorite thing from the Feature list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:21:10 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 13, 2012, 09:22:45 pm »

No... that'd be a(n unofficial, largely unconfirmed, mostly unsubstantiated in the pics-or-it-didn't-happen sense) feature list. The mock-up bit was referring to the screenshots and various critter etc. sprites. The videos say quite a lot, but who knows what level of completeness stuff is at, currently.

Later this year would be nice. "When it's actually done" would be better :P

If the two happen to coincide, well. Happeh 2012, eh wot.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:25:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 13, 2012, 09:24:25 pm »

I wouldn't call this a small mock-up...

Edit: Here's my favorite thing from the Feature list:

The worst thing in that list:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:01:23 pm by BigD145 »

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 13, 2012, 09:57:07 pm »

No... that'd be a(n unofficial, largely unconfirmed, mostly unsubstantiated in the pics-or-it-didn't-happen sense) feature list. The mock-up bit was referring to the screenshots and various critter etc. sprites. The videos say quite a lot, but who knows what level of completeness stuff is at, currently.

Later this year would be nice. "When it's actually done" would be better :P

If the two happen to coincide, well. Happeh 2012, eh wot.

Yeah, largely unconfirmed is a good way of putting it.

Remember, Duke Nukem Forever had gameplay videos while it was still part of 3D Realms, in the mid 2000s...

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 15, 2012, 06:11:08 pm »

Looks like they posted something on Dungeon generation. Discuss.

Interesting.  I wonder if it'll feel a little repetitive after a while though.   (I say even though I can't think of a single cool way to make it less repetitive) ;)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 15, 2012, 07:04:12 pm »

Looks like they posted something on Dungeon generation. Discuss.

Interesting.  I wonder if it'll feel a little repetitive after a while though.   (I say even though I can't think of a single cool way to make it less repetitive) ;)

Well often ways to make it less "repetitive" would be to allow more variety within the set patterns.

But given the game... my vote is that isn't going to happen.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 15, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »

From the sounds of it it's going to be stitching together large collections of "rooms" to make bigger dungeons, so I doubt it would get boring very fast.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 15, 2012, 07:41:07 pm »

Seems to be roughly what spelunky does, perhaps a lil'more sophisticated. Which... I'd call it boding well, so far as avoiding repetition is concerned.

Well often ways to make it less "repetitive" would be to allow more variety within the set patterns.

Post, at least, did mention the generator's going to have the potential option of swapping around what goes where, at least occasionally. So it seems, at least, like it allows a good chunk of variety within the overall pattern, since the engine can swap around certain set pieces somewhat freely. At least conceptually, according to the blog post. Who knows how it works in practice :P

Interesting thing to me is that it looks like it'd be possible to create new rooms and such with flipping paint (the program, mind.), since the generator sounds like it's just parsing a specifically colored image. If adding that sort of material is as simple as making a little pixel stamp thing, that may be a pretty serious boon to ease of modding. Also could see stuff like adding in the mona lisa or whatev', by recoloring the thing. As a dungeon room.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 15, 2012, 07:46:07 pm »

Slunky at least got away with it by having the game be relatively short and it having a very large skill factor.

Given Starbound's parent. It will be a very long game with a minimal skill factor.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 15, 2012, 08:45:03 pm »

That is much harder than it sounds. The generator runs the risk of generating unpassable dungeons, or generating what is just random boring tubes etc. Interesting, structured random on a computer is a hard thing to accomplish in a reasonably controlled way.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 15, 2012, 08:48:37 pm »

That is much harder than it sounds. The generator runs the risk of generating unpassable dungeons, or generating what is just random boring tubes etc. Interesting, structured random on a computer is a hard thing to accomplish in a reasonably controlled way.

Pathing solves that

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 15, 2012, 08:55:40 pm »

Pathing solves that

Pathing can help with detecting impassable parts of dungeons, but what do you do when it has found a part that is unpassable? Regenerating the dungeon runs the risk of taking a very long time to generate a passable dungeon. Shifting that part of the dungeon around results in the dungeon looking like it has been "patched" up at random places. Regenerating that part of the dungeon can have an out-of-place look etc.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 565