Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945184 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #540 on: July 11, 2012, 11:13:51 am »

The pressurized water they have in the demos makes me think they're probably planning on making a way to get the water pressurized like that in-game. Whether that's something player-accessible like pumps or machines of some sort or whether it's only accessible to the dungeonmaster-style role is another issue I guess.

I think I'm most pleased by the idea of water not killing the server, though. Also the possibility of making an actual fountain. That would be neat.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 11, 2012, 11:14:15 am »

Ah, I want this game so much. Terraria plus space travel = amazingness.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #542 on: July 11, 2012, 11:43:36 am »

Easily amused chimps that piss in excitement at wall graffiti.
I would like to say that this is the BEST thing I have read all day.

Also yes, Starbound water looks very pretty too. Is this their first actual demo of something besides walking around?
No, they demo'd the lighting system too.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 11, 2012, 02:30:57 pm »

Easily amused chimps that piss in excitement at wall graffiti.
I would like to say that this is the BEST thing I have read all day.

Also yes, Starbound water looks very pretty too. Is this their first actual demo of something besides walking around?
No, they demo'd the lighting system too.
I strongly suggest subscribing to their channel and go see what they uploaded. This way you wont miss anything.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

portaldruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 12, 2012, 05:15:36 am »

burn em and grab the money...

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 12, 2012, 07:18:26 am »

Looks like fun, posting to watch.

Hopefully they will not make this game Steam-only like they did with Terraria...which is unlikely.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #546 on: July 12, 2012, 07:19:48 am »

Hopefully they will not make this game Steam-only like they did with Terraria...which is unlikely.
You can't use steam?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:31 am »

I hope they will *at least* make it steam-compatible, aka, works properly with the steam overlay as a non-steam game, so i can play fullscreen without having to press the start menu key every 5 seconds to reply to friends.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 12, 2012, 07:34:33 am »

You can't use steam?

Kind of...At least for the time being. Didn't think Steam is portable, and my own computer is unavailable for the foreseeable future.

A few USB portable drives are all I currently have, which presents no problem for things like Dwarf Fortress and a lot of Humble Bundles and GOGs, but not Steam as far as I know.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #549 on: July 12, 2012, 07:42:27 am »

You can't use steam?

Kind of...At least for the time being. Didn't think Steam is portable, and my own computer is unavailable for the foreseeable future.

A few USB portable drives are all I currently have, which presents no problem for things like Dwarf Fortress and a lot of Humble Bundles and GOGs, but not Steam as far as I know.
I... doubt starbound itself would work as a portable application regardless of its steam dependency.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 12, 2012, 07:50:07 am »

It might. Depends on dependencies and how large the flash drive is. Also might have to tweak some things or pick up a crack or something, but I'm pretty sure you could run Terraria off a flash if you really felt like it (maybe. Not sure how net or whatever reacts to being mobile) so I'm not sure what would be stopping Starbound from doing the same thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #551 on: July 12, 2012, 01:20:13 pm »

I... doubt starbound itself would work as a portable application regardless of its steam dependency.
Wait why? I'd be really impressed if it didn't work as a portable application. What does it need that wouldn't?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 12, 2012, 06:29:50 pm »

I believe in this game because I thought the idea of Terraria was ridiculous, and then it was released, so why not believe in Starbound?

The only downside of this game is that development on Terraria has ceased. It's going to be hard dealing with not getting new enemies and shit added to the game.

Hell, you could even say that active development adds a level of replayability to a game.

E: You know, now that I think about it I've had more fun with games in active development (Terraria pre-release, DF, Minecraft) than I have with complete games.

Also, I think I liked Terraria more because when the game was announced, a large majority of the game had already been completed by the time they started marketing it.

Furthermore, I lost a little respect for the Terraria devs when I found out that they were caught paying people to create seemingly-original threads and strong-arming youtube officials into deleting negative reviews of Terraria.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:33:32 pm by ggamer »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 12, 2012, 06:45:18 pm »

Furthermore, I lost a little respect for the Terraria devs when I found out that they were caught paying people to create seemingly-original threads and strong-arming youtube officials into deleting negative reviews of Terraria.

Wait, seriously? That's impressive. Do you have any articles or other forums posts on this?

But anyway, I figured there had to be some reason for all the drama. Blue, former Terraria... something, decided to quit the Starbound community entirely because he was getting all kinds of hate directed towards him in private.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 12, 2012, 06:53:36 pm »

wait, that affected Blue?

Hooooly shit, he's one of the main devs, along with Redigit.

Damn dude, that sucks. anyway, I'll look around for an article.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 565